How Do You Feel About The Cheerleader Costume For Halloween?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 29, 2014
Hi All,

I spotted this on Pinterest (ironically it came from Twitter-- social media sharing at it's finest) and it got me thinking...
In the run up to Halloween, I want to know: What do you think about the 'cheerleader costume'? Do you hate it? Love it? And why?

Reply here or tweet me and you just might be featured on Cheerleading.About.Com.
10403726_663961750386669_719222577066421012_n.jpg

@ChristyCheers
I don't mind the poorly sewn, horribly ill-fitting cheerleader costume that one might see on a little girl.

However, I HATE sexualized cheerleader costumes. With a burning passion. In fact, most of them look like something an NFL dancer would wear (I mean no offense toward NFL dancers, but still). It just reinforces the stereotype that people have of cheerleaders being sex objects and as a former cheerleader, it disgusts me.

Well, I see kids dress up as football, baseball, softball and rugby players for Halloween so why not cheerleaders?
But do they dress up as 'sexy' football, baseball, softball and rugby players? Are those types of 'sexy' costumes even available?

But do they dress up as 'sexy' football, baseball, softball and rugby players? Are those types of 'sexy' costumes even available?
The OP didn't say anything about sexy costumes, just costumes in general. Yes I have seen "sexy" football and softball uniforms though.

It doesn't bother me if kids want to dress up as cheerleaders, i've also seen a sexy costume for every sport, Sexy referee, sexy baseball, sexy football and even sexy golf!

Actually, most of the cheerleaders that I see at Halloween over the age of 10 are boys dressing up as girl cheerleaders.
There is nothing sexy about those hairy legs :D
A few male teachers did that at my school a few years ago (with leggings under the skirts), and a few of the female teachers dressed up in football uniforms. It was hilarious!

People dress up like athletes from football players to Olympic gymnast for Halloween. They also dress up like doctors, nurses, soldiers, etc. I think it is a form of flattery. When a child dresses up as a cheerleader he/she is saying I dream of being a cheerleader one day.
The poms though... I like when poms have volume and fluff, and don't look like Cousin It's plastic twin lol.

Back