All-Star How Do You Get Ready For Tryouts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mytriplek

Cheer Parent
Oct 18, 2012
I'm curious as to what everyone's tryout preparation is. Everyone's different. What do you do to prepare for tryouts in the weeks before tryouts?

For my CP, nothing that she doesn't already do all year.

I happened to be listening to my daughter's conversation with a friend of hers and she had a strict health, fitness and gym regimen that she starts the month before tryouts. My daughter wanted to know if that was normal.

Extra stretching. My cp stretches all season long but when we are in the meat of the season we focus a lot more on the stretches she needs specifically for what she's pulling in the air and less on the other things. So we start going back and working hard on the other things too.

I happened to be listening to my daughter's conversation with a friend of hers and she had a strict health, fitness and gym regimen that she starts the month before tryouts. My daughter wanted to know if that was normal.

I agree with @badgergal. Tryouts are a year long process for those that are already at the AS gym of their choice, and for the newcomers, the skills and fitness aren't going to come in a month. Is it normal? Absolutely, I haven't met an event yet that I haven't tried the fast track fitness and diet plan.:oops:

My daughter seems to be the least stressed and so calm about tryouts...She will go for 1 tryout clinic, learn everything that is needed for tryout and show up for tryout so calm and just tryout... She been like that with everything in her life...Just do it and hope for the best...

For my CP, nothing that she doesn't already do all year.

I tell kids all the time: If you stay ready, you don't have to GET ready.

They typically don't get it until it's 2-3 weeks before tryouts and the girls who have been working all year on skills they want for tryouts are pretty much doing their normal thing.

Meanwhile, everyone else is like "I NEED EVERY FLYER, TUMBLING, AND STRETCH CLASS ON THIS PLANET. AND ABS."

I tell kids all the time: If you stay ready, you don't have to GET ready.

They typically don't get it until it's 2-3 weeks before tryouts and the girls who have been working all year on skills they want for tryouts are pretty much doing their normal thing.

Meanwhile, everyone else is like "I NEED EVERY FLYER, TUMBLING, AND STRETCH CLASS ON THIS PLANET. AND ABS."
We can't afford the extra classes and we don't do privates but my daughter does participate in open gym all season long. She said it is fun.
Anyways I hate this time of the year ... Open gym is packed... Like where have you been all season? My daughter prefers being like 1 of 5 in open gym not 1 of 25[emoji57]

After tryouts you won't make the team you want and poof you will be gone from open gym until next year ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like where have you been all season?

After tryouts you won't make the team you want and poof you will be gone from open gym until next year ....

0wl2gb.jpg

We can't afford the extra classes and we don't do privates but my daughter does participate in open gym all season long. She said it is fun.
Anyways I hate this time of the year ... Open gym is packed... Like where have you been all season? My daughter prefers being like 1 of 5 in open gym not 1 of 25[emoji57]

Are they structured open gyms, like classes, or just show up and work on what you want and the coaches will occasionally help you?

**I see crazy people**

Random thoughts on open gyms and stuff to get ready for tryouts. Kids are all so different in the way they get ready.

Some kids are "totally open gym" kids like @TheVipersMom 's daughter probably is. They LOVE coming to open gym and are generally working the whole time. They go in, work with coaches a little bit, work on skills solo, and get new skills from it eventually (but may need to clean up in a class or a private.) There are kids who thrive in that open environment and are motivated by all the kids working in there.

Then there are kids who NEED a class. They need a class and the structure/smaller group it provides because they seriously cannot focus with all the kids in the open setting (and the occasional playing around that comes with some open environments) and just generally need an adult, but can handle a few kids at the same level.

Then there are kids who can't deal and just NEED a private or semi-private. There is a certain issue they're having or skill they want and class doesn't really meet that need because there are too many kids (or there is no class appropriate for them.) That, and an open gym doesn't have the 1:1 support they need to get the specific thing that they want (or to fix that issue.) I have dealt with kids who cannot learn new skills unless it is in a private because they need to be spotted and instructed directly at all times.

Some need a combo. But it's crazy how different they all are. There are kids who would never learn a thing in open gym and others who just love it.

We have had a bit of a gap between end of school cheer and allstar tryouts. We have been pretty steady with privates most of the year. Coach did a mock tryout with her and will do another one next week. She is not trying to get any major new skill just perfect current ones. But we can all tell her stamina is down a bit. Looking forward to getting back into team shape starting next month

Are they structured open gyms, like classes, or just show up and work on what you want and the coaches will occasionally help you?

**I see crazy people**
You can have a coach or not. It's whatever you want. But they are there for whatever you like.

We have a tumbling class, open gym, and 1 to 2 teams practicing at the same time it just depends on if it's at 8 or 9 what teams are there

But open gym is 8-915
Tumbling class is 8-9

38cce3fa6b679699284a6dcfd588d80c.jpg

Here is a normal open gym (left side of the cones) just a few kids and coaches and you just go and they watch or spot whatever you would like. There is no real line

8bdd6c93b922aa39bd59b17a430dbd9b.jpg

Here is last week open gym left of the cones.

So my kid can go and she is going (the black shoes you see sticking up) but she has to wait.

Or she stands behind someone and then cuts them because they are taking so long because they want to watch.

Like open gyms are usually better than classes. They are like semi-privates.

And then it's the month before tryouts and people come out of the woodwork.

The day my kid got her standing bhs full back in the winter

3 coaches
2 kids
Lol
ff6f246385ed06c2804878df96aa505e.jpg

You can have a coach or not. It's whatever you want. But they are there for whatever you like.

We have a tumbling class, open gym, and 1 to 2 teams practicing at the same time it just depends on if it's at 8 or 9 what teams are there

But open gym is 8-915
Tumbling class is 8-9

38cce3fa6b679699284a6dcfd588d80c.jpg

Here is a normal open gym (left side of the cones) just a few kids and coaches and you just go and they watch or spot whatever you would like. There is no real line

8bdd6c93b922aa39bd59b17a430dbd9b.jpg

Here is last week open gym left of the cones.

So my kid can go and she is going (the black shoes you see sticking up) but she has to wait.

Or she stands behind someone and then cuts them because they are taking so long because they want to watch.

Like open gyms are usually better than classes. They are like semi-privates.

And then it's the month before tryouts and people come out of the woodwork.

The day my kid got her standing bhs full back in the winter

3 coaches
2 kids
Lol
ff6f246385ed06c2804878df96aa505e.jpg

That is what I pictured it like. Not really a structured event and coaches were there to help if needed.

Our last gym was like that but kids could also randomly come in and workout by themselves if they wanted.

**I see crazy people**

Kids seriously do randomly come and start classes the month before tryouts... I guess I never realized it until I started coaching. The gym I coach at has a lot of school teams and ALOT of kids have joined my intro to tumbling class or my cheer 101 class the last two months because of tryouts. One girl came in the other day in my intro class (which is basics- cartwheels, handstands, forward and backwards rolls... etc) and she was like "I'm trying out for a HS team in two weeks and I need a standing tuck and my full" :rolleyes:.
I've always been an open gym kid. I like classes but I like doing my own thing and working on what I need to work on. Like running is great but sometimes I just wanted to do standing or just wanted to work on jumps or whatever. And I hated waiting in line in tumbling classes because I learn better when I do something over and over again like immediately.

Back