All-Star How Do You Get Ready For Tryouts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Kids seriously do randomly come and start classes the month before tryouts... I guess I never realized it until I started coaching.
This. It always makes me laugh, because we all know who is only trying to get a skill for tryouts. They finally decided to work hard for it the last month of the season :rolleyes:

I've upped my weight workouts again, and I've started back with private tumbling lessons and clinics I tend to do these through spring/summer/fall, but taper it off for winter/competition season. Yes, there are skills I want specifically for tryouts, but I've been working them all year in some way or another (practices, open gym, etc.). But I tend to need a break from specific tumbling classes during competition season. My bones are getting old and I need to rest too.

Kids seriously do randomly come and start classes the month before tryouts... I guess I never realized it until I started coaching. The gym I coach at has a lot of school teams and ALOT of kids have joined my intro to tumbling class or my cheer 101 class the last two months because of tryouts. One girl came in the other day in my intro class (which is basics- cartwheels, handstands, forward and backwards rolls... etc) and she was like "I'm trying out for a HS team in two weeks and I need a standing tuck and my full" :rolleyes:.
I've always been an open gym kid. I like classes but I like doing my own thing and working on what I need to work on. Like running is great but sometimes I just wanted to do standing or just wanted to work on jumps or whatever. And I hated waiting in line in tumbling classes because I learn better when I do something over and over again like immediately.
So true. At our gym, it is the "drive through" back handspring for HS cheer tryouts. Most schools require ROBHS to be thrown at tryouts for the first time in HS. It is a bonus skill in middle school. They really seem to think they are going to go from no tumbling to ROBHS in a month, if they do 5 privates a week. The coaches tell them upfront that it is highly unlikely, but parents shell out $$$ anyway, sit in the gym and yell at their kid for not throwing the skill, and walk out disappointed... until we see the same song and dance the next year.

This. It always makes me laugh, because we all know who is only trying to get a skill for tryouts. They finally decided to work hard for it the last month of the season :rolleyes:
Or the kid who decides to do every skill they need to do to move up to the next level tumbling class perfectly on evaluation day. Where has that skill been the last month every time I've asked you to do it? :rolleyes:

Back