All-Star How Do You Shake It Off?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 31, 2010
eek.png
EVERYBODY has a bad day from time to time: Stunt falls, tumbling busts, pyramid issues. We all feel bummed when these things happen. How do YOU or your team shake off a less-than-perfect performance without losing confidence or getting snippy (yup, happens to parents and coaches too)? Any suggestions?
eek.png

Well if it's right after the thing happens our coaches tell us to breathe, walk away from the stunt or tumbling, get a drink, and come back and try it again with a fresh start.

I always remind them (and myself) that things happen. It was a mistake, no one wanted it to happen, and we're going to work hard so that it doesn't happen again. I'm not going to let it bring me down, because it was one stunt (performance ect). There's always tomorrow (next week ect).

What I like to do is get them as soon as they get off the floor and talk to them about what happened. I take them through the routine chronologically and tell them everything that was good and has improved since the last comp... ex. Opening tumbling looked great, that basket was the best I've seen it, stunts- so-and-so's group lost a tick tock but recovered for the fullup what happened there, guys? etc etc... I find that by talking about it in sections and hearing their feedback as well as mine gets them to think less about the small problems and more about the big picture.

They (my small senior team) had a bad day this weekend- 2 stunt falls and lost to a team that we beat by quite a bit a month ago... without the falls, we would have won out of both the small and large divisions for our level.... and the point difference was a .06 UGH

I wanted to make sure they knew I was still proud of them, competing 2 new stunts, and improving in other areas of the scoresheet, and that they would be able to return to practice this week with a positive focus on what needs to be done. I find that just leveling with them and talking about things in an honest, but positive way has been the most helpful!

I just think to myself nobody's perfect & everyone has a bad day so at the next practice I am gonna work harder so that we don't have the same mistake that we had last time ever again!

If its at a comp I just try not to think about it especially if its a two day, and then just hit the gym and work said skill over and over until I know that it wont happen again. Now if its a t practice and Im having a bad tumbling day I just stop throwing the skill, that way I dont buil bad habits.

What I like to do is get them as soon as they get off the floor and talk to them about what happened. I take them through the routine chronologically and tell them everything that was good and has improved since the last comp... ex. Opening tumbling looked great, that basket was the best I've seen it, stunts- so-and-so's group lost a tick tock but recovered for the fullup what happened there, guys? etc etc... I find that by talking about it in sections and hearing their feedback as well as mine gets them to think less about the small problems and more about the big picture.

They (my small senior team) had a bad day this weekend- 2 stunt falls and lost to a team that we beat by quite a bit a month ago... without the falls, we would have won out of both the small and large divisions for our level.... and the point difference was a .06 UGH

I wanted to make sure they knew I was still proud of them, competing 2 new stunts, and improving in other areas of the scoresheet, and that they would be able to return to practice this week with a positive focus on what needs to be done. I find that just leveling with them and talking about things in an honest, but positive way has been the most helpful!
UGH...tell me about it. When you have a bad practice, that's one thing, but when you have a bad competition, that's a whole other ball of wax. I guess just looking at what went wrong and how to fix it is the BEST course of action. The blaming that goes on sometimes...jeesh. I saw a coach from another program SCREAMING at a little girl who was about 10 or 11 years old for falling in a stunt. How do you think her confidence will be the next time out. Bet you she was TERRIFIED. :(

UGH...tell me about it. When you have a bad practice, that's one thing, but when you have a bad competition, that's a whole other ball of wax. I guess just looking at what went wrong and how to fix it is the BEST course of action. The blaming that goes on sometimes...jeesh. I saw a coach from another program SCREAMING at a little girl who was about 10 or 11 years old for falling in a stunt. How do you think her confidence will be the next time out. Bet you she was TERRIFIED. :(

Yeah, we have a coach like that in our program... you just cant talk to them that way. At the end of the day, these kids look at us to define them, in a sense. They need to know that we are not going to hate them for making a mistake, especially at that age. They want to make us happy, and it's important that they know we will accept them and love them just the same if they have an off day. Always happy, never satisfied:)... I used to have a youth 2 flyer who was a rock star in practice, but always fell out of her stunt at competitions. She would run to me and cry every single time. I could never have gotten mad at her, I just carried her around until she stopped crying, telling her it was alright, that I wasnt mad, etc. She was a kid who had a lot of pressure from Mom, so I knew I had to be in that role at the time. Sometimes, I feel like the parents take it harder than the kids do lol

If i personally don't hit a stunt or nail that skill in a basket, i get frustrated with myself but i take a breather and think why i am here and give my self an aim! My aim was always for competitions but its now for Worlds competing with Team Scotland. I put a smile on my face and say come on guys we got this!! do a few wee bounces and THINK POSTIVE!!!! picture myself and my groups nailing that stunt or skill perfect! then do it :)

If i personally don't hit a stunt or nail that skill in a basket, i get frustrated with myself but i take a breather and think why i am here and give my self an aim! My aim was always for competitions but its now for Worlds competing with Team Scotland. I put a smile on my face and say come on guys we got this!! do a few wee bounces and THINK POSTIVE!!!! picture myself and my groups nailing that stunt or skill perfect! then do it :)
OK.... Am I the only one who loves , "a few wee bounces"? I am so going to Scotland! :)

If its at practice we go get a drink and then come back in with a peptalk. If its at a two day competition and we do bad day one we have a meeting on saturday night and watch the video and read the score sheets and talk about how we can improve. It helps when we had a team round table and give eachother advice because it means more coming from a peer then an adult in some cases.

For me as a coach I try to take the approach of reminding them of who they are and that I believe in them and sometimes they will have a bad day but it's the way that you recover that make you a competitor.

As a supportive parent I would be like: "Get over it brush it off and do better next time"

overall: I try to offer as much support as I can while doing what is best for the team and making the needed changes for the best overall performance. Because in the end we all want to win.

*whisper*I've been to Scotland once..LOVELY people. Even tried haggis, neets and tatties (I think that's how you spell it)..quite an adventure!! My tour guide was really funny too..

close "neeps" :) glad you tried it!! a lot of Scottish don't even try haggis! I love it, but only really eat it for our burns supper! :) where about in Scotland did you visit?

Back