High School How Does Your Jv Work?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2012
(Ive searched and nothing was about what I needed to bring up)
My high school just got JV this year, this season actually. So we get all of the old Varsity stuff, the really old awful uniforms, the old warmups in the wrong colors, and I do not believe we even have poms. But our school has been known to in the past have erm...Bigger cheerleaders, and we have like twigs on JV (I'm on JV now). Most of us have uniforms we have to pin so they come close to fitting. But our two smallest girls (maybe weigh 80 lbs) dont have a uniform at all...Our first game is Tuesday. And my coach and i are looking into fundraisers etc so we can get uniforms for us.

The main issue is, the Varsity coach spent all the money football season on new warmups, and we have to share an account for money plus if we even tried to bring up JV needing new uniforms we would get yelled at because "varsity deserves all the new stuff". I'm sorry i was a varsity girl, those uniforms are on their 4th season, you don't need new ones. We do.

I just dont know if its common for new programs (like JV) to get treated so foul and unwelcome?

Rite of passage. Jv usually gets leftovers. However I don't agree. I think jv is the training ground, you want to be proud.
1. See if you can find a seamstress to help fit the uniforms you have.
2. Try finding fun ways to look great for cheap. Fun tshirts with the skirts. Great bows. Inexpensive ways to feel good
3. Put together a presentation to the cheer coach on how much money you need for new things and ideas of how to pay to get her approval.
Good luck!!

Our JV team gets the old varsity uniforms and used to have the old warm ups but then ey cheer program bought them new ones. JV also gets their own poms just as varsity. I think it's pretty typical that the JV teams the old varsity uniforms and warmups.

I coach the JV team for my program and we are going into our 3rd season and this is how it works for us

Warm Ups - Order with your own $, same as Varsity
Comp Uniforms - Old Varsity ones (sizes are problems but I let girls take them in, take them out, etc.) We are looking into our finances this year to maybe order new comp uniforms for JV since varsity just got 2 new competition uniforms (Fall & Winter)
Game Uniforms - Old Varsity ones, same as above.
Poms - Plain, order with your own $ (Varsity has shiny poms)

Basically, JV does usually get the hand me downs during the beginning, but we just have to deal with it! Once your program grows and has been around for a few more seasons then maybe they can spend the money on new uniforms. They dont want to spend $ right away on new things for JV just in case the program doesn't survive.

My advice to you is just make sure JV fundraises just as much as Varsity so the money is equal to both teams, start planning and talking with your coach and come up with valid statements to start to look into new things, and kick butt even in the old, not so pretty things you have! Remember; it's all materialistic things, its the talent that counts!

We don't have a JV, but at out school uniforms are bought by the athletes, not rented out. I know they're expensive, but maybe you could have an all-program or JV-only fundraiser to buy new uniforms and poms? Bake sales, car washes, etc. Since it's a new part of the program and since your coaches aren't really helping with this, it's pretty much left up to you and your team to start things off on a good note.

IMO, JV should be treated exactly the way varsity is. Same uniforms, same poms, same warmups, same attention. I hate it when there's a distinct division between the two teams.

thank you for all of your recommendations! We have found uniforms through varsity for quite cheap. My coach and I are figuring things out, Hopefully even though we are JV we can get new uniforms since as of right now we have nothing. :eek:

For us, Varsity got new uniforms this year for competition. JV didn't get new ones.
At the beginning, the seniors on Varsity chose which uniforms they wanted (from all the old ones) and JV got the rest. But there are two uniforms that are like the "cute" ones, JV got one of them and Varsity got the other. So that's pretty fair.
Other than that everything is the same -same poms, same warmups, etc because we buy it all. Bows are sometimes different but this year they were the same. And the stuff that IS different is the same quality generally -just different in design.
As for uniform size - it's better for it to be too big than too small! Like my skirt... X( see if you can get them altered! Any time uniforms are rented out they aren't going to fit perfectly... Just make sure the alterations can be undone!
Good luck! Maybe you can just have everyone on your team buy their own poms - they shouldn't be that expensive. We sold them for $25 to the girls who came to our cheer clinic, exact same poms as we bought.
Also, for fundraising - we had a cheer clinic and it was HUGE! We got over 200 girls to come! It was $35 per kid and they got a snack, t shirt, drink, did a craft, and got to learn a little routine and perform it twice -once at the end of the clinic and once before a football game. Every girl got a chance to be put up in a stunt (just a prep). People loved it and it raised a lot of money for us! We just choreographed a short, simple dance and taught them a couple chants. Every cheerleader was assigned 6 or so girls, and took them around to stations. The craft was a bow for their hair, and all the cheerleaders brought a box of juice boxes and a box of individually wrapped snacks for them. We also all brought a roll of ribbon for the crafts. Just an idea :)

here how JV works at my school
warmups- same as varsity paid with own $
uniforms- 2 shells 2 skirts and 2 liners again paid with own $ (while varsity has 2 shells 3 liners 3 skirts and a motion fit long sleeve top but paid with own $)
poms- 1 color paid with own $ (varsity is 2 color paid with own $)

so basically whichever team you are on you have to pay for everything and varsity and JV uniforms don't cross over so when girls get moved up they have to buy a whole new set of uniforms. But you can sell your old uniform pieces to new girls to offset the cost of your new ones.

But perhaps you guys could order the instock uniforms from Varsity? they aren't half bad looking and inexpensive
Product: In-Stock Uniform Shell
Product: In-Stock Uniform Skirt

thank you for all of your recommendations! We have found uniforms through varsity for quite cheap. My coach and I are figuring things out, Hopefully even though we are JV we can get new uniforms since as of right now we have nothing. :eek:
you are showing great leadership here. these skills will serve you well. I am sure your coach appreciates your ideas and support.

you are showing great leadership here. these skills will serve you well. I am sure your coach appreciates your ideas and support.
thank you! and I am pretty sure she does, everyone on the team refers to me as the "captain" its cute (we dont have captains at all for either team)

They might split you up jv and varsity but you are one program.. And I believe things like new Pom Poms and uniforms should be a program thing not a specific team thing

i hate schools that treat their JV's like dirt. Ours do get the old varsity uniforms. However, we hand them down every 2 years while they are still nice. We don't normally order any new tops since they are more expensive, but I make sure that every girl in my program at least has a correctly fitting skirt and order them a new one if necessary.

i hate schools that treat their JV's like dirt. Ours do get the old varsity uniforms. However, we hand them down every 2 years while they are still nice. We don't normally order any new tops since they are more expensive, but I make sure that every girl in my program at least has a correctly fitting skirt and order them a new one if necessary.
I hate that its treated like dirt too...And these are pretty old. Yes varsity has only had theirs now 4 seasons, but they had our uniforms now for quite a while. And now they say they deserve new ones :mad:

My first year on a high school cheer team, we had to wear uniforms from '92. Needless to say we always got the short end of the stick and not a lot of girls returned for tryouts for the next season.

Back