All-Star How Many 8cts Is Your Dance?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2010
I was having a discussion with one of my gym owners today about how many 8cts a dance should be in a routine, so I'm curious... if you don't mind, what level is your team and how many 8cts is your dance?

Youth 2 - 6 8-counts
Senior 2 - 5 8-counts
Senior 3 - 7 8-counts
Senior Coed 4 - 5 8-counts
Juniro Coed 5 - 6 8-counts
Senior Coed 5 - 8-counts

I listed teams if it makes a difference. Personally, as a coach - You are allotted a typical routine to be 44-47 eight counts. Depending which company you compete with (Varsity, Jam Brands, or an independent company) it is hard to fit EVERY element to max out a scoresheet in a routine these days (Esp with Jam Brands). I think its near impossible to have a solid routine hitting a scoresheet with a dance over 5-6 8-counts, but again, maybe I just havent found the right formula for that.

As a spectator, I can appreciate dances from World Cup and Georigia Allstars whose are much longer. With companies (Worlds) wanting SQUAD tumbling sections, AND a Coed stunt section, AND specific amounts of elements and structures and body positions in stunts and pyramids - I have found it hard to fit all of it. You have to pick your squads strengths and really determine what you want to maximize on.

I think any dance less than 6 eight counts is too short. People have to remember that its scored as well!!

As a coach and choreographer, I think its quite feasible to get footwork, partner work, sync, and levels with several formation changes in 4-5 8-counts... And while Dance IS scored, its often a lesser percentage compared to building, etc!

As a coach and choreographer, I think its quite feasible to get footwork, partner work, sync, and levels with several formation changes in 4-5 8-counts... And while Dance IS scored, its often a lesser percentage compared to building, etc!
Thats a good point. I guess i prefer longer more elaborate dances with lots of movement!

My team is senior 3 and has 6 lots of 8 counts. I think routines look better when they have 5-7 8 best counts, gives more time for everyone to werrkk that dance! ;)

This year has been the most difficult year for me to cram it all in! @FamousRudags is right on the money. You have to figure out what your strengths are. Since we've been forced to add more body positions in stunts and pyramids this year, our dances are down to 4-5 eight counts.
I called @tripleccoach in a panic during our choreography camp bc we were only getting 1-2 eight counts of dance. I had to go back and take out counts everwhere I could just to make it 4 or 5.

I called @tripleccoach in a panic during our choreography camp bc we were only getting 1-2 eight counts of dance. I had to go back and take out counts everwhere I could just to make it 4 or 5.

I dont feel bad for you. We had a choroegrapher over-choreograph our routine by about 19 8-counts... YES! 19. Our running tumbling section was like 14 8-counts alone, so it was easy to trim, but inconvenient. Be glad you only had to take out a few 8-counts. LOL!

FamousRudags said:
I dont feel bad for you. We had a choroegrapher over-choreograph our routine by about 19 8-counts... YES! 19. Our running tumbling section was like 14 8-counts alone, so it was easy to trim, but inconvenient. Be glad you only had to take out a few 8-counts. LOL!

I could easily make 1/2 my routines running tumbling alone! 19? Holy frijoles I'd have had a heart attack.

FamousRudags said:

Gah.... Did you pay this choreographer? Thats insane.

Gah.... Did you pay this choreographer? Thats insane.

We did. While it was a hassle to get fixed - It was fixed. The positive side was that we got 19 more 8-counts of choreography to choose from so I had several options on what to keep vs. what I didnt like. Its all worked out and the team is strong as ever. We will definatley not use this choreographer again, but we had GREAT success with the other two choreographers we had! :) Both of them will be used from here on out!

Back