All-Star How Many Days Out Of School......

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm making the same face as your avatar! Mine missed 2 days just for The Majors last year and her school counted it as unexcused. Fine - it wasn't academic related so I got that.
Her cheer sponsor however, gave her 2 demerits for 'cutting'school and another 2 for missing a basketball game she was supposed to cheer for while she was in Indy. Really? 2 demerits for cheering at The Majors instead of a basketball game? And they wonder why so many left cheer after last year.

I'm only guessing, but I guess it's because Chicago has such horrible problems that missing school for dance is better than all the other reasons ("my gang was having a recruitment so we had to rob people"?) I think they look at it as anything positive in a child's life in this cr@p city is a good thing. Plus the schools don't have sports or arts until high school, so they're probably glad she's doing something physical. :D

Did the sponsor understand what the Majors is??? That's like when lakerfan's daughter (smoed) didn't make school cheer. What in the world... Absolutely absurd.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It has to be a ridiculously high number.

my high school was pretty strict, missed anything past 10 and you faced failing the entire year. unless it was medical emergency.. like myself had jaw surgery missed the very first week and half, but none of it counted against me.

my high school was pretty strict, missed anything past 10 and you faced failing the entire year. unless it was medical emergency.. like myself had jaw surgery missed the very first week and half, but none of it counted against me.
We would have been counted against even for a medical emergency/surgery, unless we went on homebound instruction and had a teacher come to our house. And we only had 8. But like I said earlier we had the opportunity to make up the time missed at the end of the year, but it cost $$$. And time, of course. I guess I just lived in a strict district, haha

When I was in high school we had 6 absences per term (4 terms). When I had to miss school for cheer, I got to get the absences excused if my mom, principle, and teachers signed a form saying they knew I was going to be absent for a cheerleading trip. The principle and teachers were always okay with it, because they knew I would be getting my work done by the time I got back to school.

In my county, we have a 5 absences per semester class rule and 10 absences per year long (every other day) class. You get an automatic F in the class (or classes) that you missed more than the maximum amount of absences.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

Last year my cp missed 5 days for UCA and we told the school it was for a cheer competition and they were fine with it since her school doesn't have athletics. The attendance clerk just put it down as family emergency so there would be no question about it. This year we are lucky for her to have a half day the day we are leaving so we are just catching a later flight and she'll only miss 4, unless they win a bid to Summit then she'll miss a total of 8 this year. Thankfully she's a good student so it is never an issue :)

CP will miss a minimum of 3 days this year, more depending on when her awards will be (I hate driving home late at night).

Most schools here allow 7 absences per trimester. If you have 7 absences the teacher has the right to automatically fail you. Some schools let parents call in and excuse the kids, but others require a dr note or it counts against the 7 days.

I'm only guessing, but I guess it's because Chicago has such horrible problems that missing school for dance is better than all the other reasons ("my gang was having a recruitment so we had to rob people"?) I think they look at it as anything positive in a child's life in this cr@p city is a good thing. Plus the schools don't have sports or arts until high school, so they're probably glad she's doing something physical. :D

Did the sponsor understand what the Majors is??? That's like when lakerfan's daughter (smoed) didn't make school cheer. What in the world... Absolutely absurd.

I told my son about the gang recruitment comment and he said "that's about right". He's looking at grad school in Chicago. Or should I say was looking. No way I'm letting him go there after reading that! :jawdrop:
I get it about All Star girls not making school cheer. My daughter could out tumble and jump the Varsity girls but when it came to actual cheering, she never got it. She actually asked me why they face the stands. "I mean, if we are there to cheer on the teams, why don't we face the team?" I had no answer to that!

I'm not sure how many absences my school in the states allowed per school year, but I do know that when I missed a week of school to go back to canada and visit my sister I had to get a document signed by the school and all of my teachers. Each one of my teachers needed to provide me with homework that was relevant to the course, and when I say needed we literally needed an assignment regardless of the class (I had PE and an Autocad class it was interesting). When I returned to the school after vacation I was required to bring all of the work to my teachers, have it marked, bring it to the office where they could verify the assignment was completed file it and keep in my records for ten years.

I do know though that when I missed 3 absences due to medical reasons that had not been reported to the school we were sent a warning notice saying there is a possibility we would be sent to another school that was for well 'the bad kids'. Canada is way more lenient in terms of absences as long as you get your assignments in nobody tends to care.

Back to the topic I do not think I ever missed more then a week of school due to cheer. If I did I was upfront about it and teachers always seemed extremely understanding.

im interested to know how many days some of these level 5 athletes miss with all the traveling they do.
Especially teams from the West Coast who travel to the Majors, Dallas, NCA, Champions League, Worlds, AND whatever other competitions they go to.

This thread reminds me of my best friend mom when we were in school. I'll never forget her telling the school that she won't let school get in the way with her daughters life education. Her dad was in a band for a well known country artist and they traveled on tour quite often, but she would also randomly come and sign us out to go to movies or other fun things. Our schools don't seem near as strict though. As long as you have a note you're fine.

I asked this in the majors thread but It makes more sense here. Why is the majors held on a fri night with the banquet etc on thurs night if it's only a one night comp? A lot of these kids missed school thurs and fri. I know that some teams that have a very long flight would have missed school anyway but I'm just curious. I get that it has to be two days but why not sat night and sun afternoon?

Back