All-Star How Much Should One Year Of Allstar Cheerleading Cost?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We spend about $5000-$6000 a year, which includes a flyaway travel comp and a couple of drivable travel comps and I think that's reasonable, given everything we get for it.
$2310 for tumbling and monthly fees
$1500 for comp fees and mandatory hotels (that's 10 comps)
$600 for flights (estimating, but flights to Florida are pretty cheap from here)
$250 for music and choreography
$450 for uniforms every other year
$80 for practice wear
$500 for hotels (we don't attend STP)
$100 for shoes
$60 for warmup jacket

I'm not including food at comps for a couple of reasons. 1) I have to eat anyway and 2) I can choose to spend too much for concession food or be inconvenienced and find something cheaper.

Tuition $2400/year
Flights to comps 1800/year
Comp fees $900
Uniform $400
Practice wear $185
Hotels $300 x 8 comps = 2400
Choreo/music $800
Camp $400
Shoes $110

This totals $9395 and doesn't include privates, competition gear, medical bills, gas, MY travel and hotel... She doesn't wear warm ups and only one uniform.

Worth it? For sure.

I think cp's gym does a good job of keeping costs down for a travel sport so, I'll use what we pay:

Gym and Comp Fees:
Tryout Fee:$50
Gym Tuition: $2340 (includes 1 weekly tumble class)
Competition Fees, Music and Choreo Fees: $1080
Coaches Fees: $200 (per family)
Uniform: $375 (every 2 years)
Warm Up: $165 (same one for the past 6 years)
Backpack: $85-95 (same one for the past 6 years)
Shoes: $85-100
Practice Wear/Team Shirt: $100
Comp Bow: $15-25
Summit or World's Fee's: $100-375 (depends on paid or at large bid)

Total: $4595-4905 (first year)

Travel (this year estimate):
Hotels: $125-200* per night/6-8 nights depending on Summit/World's and competition times
Flights: Everything within driving distance this year
Comp Entrance Fees (for 3): $975 (using last years prices)

Total: $1950-2275 (averaged hotel costs in)

Gym and Travel Total: $6545-7180

* These are Stay to Play hotels (Omni, Fairfield Inn, Mariott, etc). We have stayed at the same hotels all 6 years and Stay to Play did not raise the price of any of our hotels. For those of you paying $300-400+ per night, I suggest you talk to your gym owners and ask why they are requiring you to stay at the most expensive hotels. We had a parent that worked for Sheraton which chimed into a conversation on Stay to Play and stated hotel corporation pricing is "tiered" based on demand and Cheersport and NCA fall in the highest tier and hotels are overbooked by 10%. She said that Housing negotiates the block, the price down only, resort fees lowered or taken off, sometimes breakfast or vouchers, and occasionally parking taken off if the hotel owns the lot. She said EP's receive rebates, just like we receive points. She said Stay to Play is a policy and has nothing to do with hotel pricing and everything to do with EP's and the city insuring there is enough housing to accommodate every event going on in that city at that particular time.

I think the $ depends on different things. I feel it is more important that you are getting what you are paying for and don't feel that you are being taken advantage of. I feel the costs that I pay to my gym are overall very reasonable. I think the uniform cost is a bit too high but given the uniform is worn for 2 seasons I can live with it. I would prefer to have a "competition" practice outfit that is received in January and only worn for major competitions than paying to wear for one event (Worlds). I would prefer to go to only one flight competition in addition to Worlds. Most importantly, I would prefer to stay at the hotel of my choice at a reasonable rate than be dictated where I can stay at a price that is up to three times the normal rate for that hotel, because my hotel costs have increased significantly in the last 3 years. It cost more for my hotel alone in Dallas than it did for TWO flights PLUS hotel for Worlds. It disgusts me that I have to pay $40-$60 in admission fees and it is cash only (because I know the reason for the cash only). It is also disgusting that parents are treated so poorly at events - being mandated to wait in line for hours even after purchasing overpriced admission and at times not even being allowed into the venue with a paid admission. Being dictated to get to an event hours before it starts, not being able to use the restroom for fear of losing their seat... the list goes on. I'm not a fan of price gouging and unscrupulous business practices, and that is what the competition companies are doing.

The stay to play "spin". Sorry, it's not a better deal for families no matter how they try to color it. At least not the way it is being handled for cheer comps.

Fun fact- 2 years ago in Dallas a couple of families checking out of the Omni and were handed the list of charges. Apologies were forthcoming when they explained they had pre paid. What was quite telling was the 100$ less per night room cost listed on bill vs what they had paid through STP.

We did much better when allowed to negotiate room blocks for our own teams (and even got free coaches rooms thrown in) The cheer version of STP as a "money saver" "better rates" "convenience" is a sham!

Also, gyms (disclaimer - not all) have figured out that uniforms, practice clothes, bows, tshirts, etc. are a great way to pad their profit. Sure some of that upcharge you're paying is being used to cover the costs of the items for kids who pay nothing (scholarships) but trust me, there's a reason for the increase in new uniforms, practice wear packages, backpacks etc. There's a good profit margin there and yes, crazy cheer parents are willing to fork it over without batting an eye. Ask to see an invoice sometime ;)

Last edited:
The cheer version of STP as a "money saver" "better rates" "convenience" is a sham!

I guess I have never heard or seen in writing from an EP stating that the Stay to Play policy was supposed to be a money saver or better rates, I have only heard that on the boards. Pre-pay used to work for my favorite hotel as well, until a gym came in and blocked the hotel out from underneath me. My prepay price was $129, and their block price was $169 BUT, that wasn't STP, that was a gym. Yes, I'm still bitter.

The only thing I have heard from EP's is that it helps them keep their venue reserved each year and it insures they have enough housing for their attendees. If I'm going to go for a conspiracy theory, then I'm going with City officials and hotels. They're the ones setting the number of rooms required to get the venue and the hotels set their pricing.
Two Sides: Stay to Play

Question: If gyms had monthly payment plans (like from May to April) that covered everything including travel and hotel costs (including a parent to go with the athlete) and helped with booking travel arrangements, would it help ease the financial burden?

Question: If gyms had monthly payment plans (like from May to April) that covered everything including travel and hotel costs (including a parent to go with the athlete) and helped with booking travel arrangements, would it help ease the financial burden?
no, I don't think so. One year for Worlds the gym did the flights and it was much more $ than booking individually (or small group booking) and it is a no win for the gym because there is always that "special exception family" and you just can't please everyone.

Here's what we're paying this year. It's ridiculous, even more so with double teaming.
Coaching fees for 2 teams = 11 x $450 =$4950
Comp fees for 2 teams = $1600
Uniform (bought used) = $150
Practice wear for 2 teams = $200
Shoes = $100
Bow = $25
Music fee for 2 teams= $200
Travel fees for 2 fly away comps = ~$2500
Total of $9725.

That does not include Summit. Last year we spend an additional $3000 or so for Summit. I am sort of praying we don't go again, which sounds terrible but it's just so darn expensive!

ETA, we already have:
Backpack $125
Warm Ups $120

Your gym make you pay tuition for both team? I thought most gyms would discount the second team tuition usually.

No, I don't think that would help at all. That usually drives the price up. I would rather arrange my own travel and hotel.

Hi I thought I would give my input as someone from the UK!

LAST SEASON:

Direct Gym Costs:

Training fees: £798 (US$1045)
Uniform: £137 (US$279)
Shoes: £80 (US$104)
Competition Entrance Fees: £160 (£40 X 4) (US$210)
Gym shirt: £20 ($26)
Gym backpack: £17 ($23)

Indirect Costs:
Training Wear: £200 (we don't have practice wear but this is money I have spent on things such as Nike pros) (US$262)
Petrol Money: All 4 competitions were 2-4hours drive one way. I'm not sure I could estimate how much money was spent on petrol.
Hotels: £220 ($288)

Total:
-not including other indirect costs such as food and the several hundred £'s in petrol or tumble privates and camps-
£1632 $2183
true costs closer to £1800-£2000

---------------------------------------------
I have moved gyms for the upcoming season to a bigger gym which requires more but I still do not expect costs to rise above £2500 unless we travel to Florida to comepete (this would be £3000 just to compete).

But clearly there is a stark contrast in costs between the US and UK cheerleading worlds.

Hope you found this somewhat useful.

Your gym make you pay tuition for both team? I thought most gyms would discount the second team tuition usually.

Yes :( I have a young athlete with higher level skills than our gym has an age appropriate team for. So she crosses to a higher level junior team at her level, but I also want her with kids her age. We get a 10% discount on the second team.

Not for us. DH still qualified for most military discounts because he's retired (we do make sure to check that the rate isn't for active duty only) and I can always get a military rate cheaper than I can a group rate.

Nope. Our gym is doing it this year and it's ridiculous. I pay more a month for cheer, than I do my mortgage. And that is for 1 worlds team. [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What it should cost LAG5
250/mo training
450 for 2 uniforms
100 music
200 choreography(7200 for the team!)
100 practice wear
800 comp fees for 8 comps (that's$3600/team!)
Travel costs to Majors, NCA, UCA
Everything else optional

Stay to play adds ridiculous expense. First year level 5 all star we were a last minute fill in so I booked the Dallas Sheraton for $149/ night. Next year as stay to play we had to pay $260/ night 3 night min at Hyatt and service was terrible and we were charged months in advance . Ive had stay to play soccer tournaments but they didnt gouge us like cheer.

Last edited:
Back