All-Star How Quickly Do You Progress?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I progress like a snail. It took me 2 1/2 years to get a BHS. And it's been 1 1/2 years since that. Still just have a BHS. I'm very mental, so that's partially why. I do have basics down though. I've perfected all my level 1 skills. I am working tucks right now, still with a spot. Hopefully I'll have a breakthrough soon!

I got my BHS when I was about 9 (I was doing gymnastics), but I can't remember how long it took for me to learn it ;)

A girl that I coach got her BHS, in just 2 months, and I'm really proud of her! She is sick!

glittergirl said:
I progress like a snail. It took me 2 1/2 years to get a BHS. And it's been 1 1/2 years since that. Still just have a BHS. I'm very mental, so that's partially why. I do have basics down though. I've perfected all my level 1 skills. I am working tucks right now, still with a spot. Hopefully I'll have a breakthrough soon!

Good luck! How old were you when you started working on your bhs?

It's cool what you said in the beginning.. I was impressed with my cp who had just turned 5 and didn't have one skill when she started. Then within a couple months went from a back bend kick over to back walk over and then working her BHS. she spent months working her BHS and would throw it by herself since they showed her but it always looked like a jumping back walkover. At 10 moths she finally got a correct BHS. In the last two months she has BHS, running and standing. She can do multiple BHS. She can do round off BHS step outs. So I know you said that normally takes 6 months to a year. So my daughter went from level 1 to 2 in a year. So I guess that's ok.

However, you said level 2 to level 3 in 4 months. Wow that would be a dream- I think I will fall out if my daughter got a tuck standing or running in 4 months.

Maybe I don't see it because my daughter has the best barely jumping BHS I know. So I don't see a tuck anywhere in her near future since my girl can't jump!! Haha

as we can see, every cheerleader progresses at their own rate. and even within gyms, within teams, within tumbling classes, the rate a cheerleader moves up is going to vary. i've seen girls get a backhandspring and work on tucks for the next 5 years after that. and i've seen girls get a handspring in a couple months and be throwing fulls within the next year.

Kris10boo said:
It's cool what you said in the beginning.. I was impressed with my cp who had just turned 5 and didn't have one skill when she started. Then within a couple months went from a back bend kick over to back walk over and then working her BHS. she spent months working her BHS and would throw it by herself since they showed her but it always looked like a jumping back walkover. At 10 moths she finally got a correct BHS. In the last two months she has BHS, running and standing. She can do multiple BHS. She can do round off BHS step outs. So I know you said that normally takes 6 months to a year. So my daughter went from level 1 to 2 in a year. So I guess that's ok.

However, you said level 2 to level 3 in 4 months. Wow that would be a dream- I think I will fall out if my daughter got a tuck standing or running in 4 months.

Maybe I don't see it because my daughter has the best barely jumping BHS I know. So I don't see a tuck anywhere in her near future since my girl can't jump!! Haha

I bet you'll be surprised! She sounds like she's right on track with the way our girls progress too. They just get hungrier for it. After they've worked those bhs skills and series/combos for a while they start asking or pushing for the tuck.
And practicing vertical jumps (among other drills) will get her ready even sooner. Kids amaze me every day!

soFIERCE08 said:
as we can see, every cheerleader progresses at their own rate. and even within gyms, within teams, within tumbling classes, the rate a cheerleader moves up is going to vary. i've seen girls get a backhandspring and work on tucks for the next 5 years after that. and i've seen girls get a handspring in a couple months and be throwing fulls within the next year.

YES!!

Bow Maker said:
Im on a level three team this season, so they want me to at least have a BHS.

I'm hear you now. I've had girls in your same situation. Good luck and I hope it all comes together for you! And if you're anything like those girls I had, you're prob an asset to the team no matter what tumbling skills you have. I pushed them to get it just so they didn't have to fake anything or feel like they weren't contributing during tumbling sections. I appreciate you sharing with me!

glittergirl said:
Thank you! Let's see, I think I was around 10 or 11?

See that makes sense too b/c the older you are when you start the longer it can take. Sounds like you're doing very well then!

I bet you'll be surprised! She sounds like she's right on track with the way our girls progress too. They just get hungrier for it. After they've worked those bhs skills and series/combos for a while they start asking or pushing for the tuck.
And practicing vertical jumps (among other drills) will get her ready even sooner. Kids amaze me every day!

Yes, thank you! I work with her all the time at home because I don't ever want her to feel she isn't as good as any one else. Here is the first time she did a multiple BHS- yes I know it's crooked but she tumbled off the mat so I'm surprised she didn't stop. Also this video it also shows her the 2nd day after they showed her a step-out.

http://youtu.be/lVBThUFOIG0

All the other girls on her youth 2 team out jump her (although everyone on her team is way older) But I think she is just so cute!

Also thanks for the input!!

i got my handspring at 13 and running tuck at 14 (then lost it and then back again at 15)
i got my standing tumbling to tucks at 15
standing tuck at 16
and i am now 17 and still don't have a layout! i've been working on it for 3 years but lately i am finally at least hitting the position (with spot) and soon will FINALLY be throwing them by myself if i can keep my mental thinking to a minimum!
but lately i have also started spotted fulls on the tumbl trak just because after 3 years of one skill i was going crazy and they finally agreed now that i almost have my layout!

Back