All-Star How Small Is Too Small?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 10, 2010
I coach a junior level 1 team that is comprised of 15 girls... For some reason I feel like the floor is empty. (maybe because I am used to being on teams of 36) I know that I will have to get creative with choreography this year, but what are your thoughts? Is 15 too small?? -____-

Nope! I would say add one more just for the purpose of full stunt groups. 16 gives you 4 full groups and 8 groups for single leg stunts.
I get that 36 to 15 is a prettty big jump though. Think of it like smaller teams give you more of a chance to highlight your athletes:)

Nope! I would say add one more just for the purpose of full stunt groups. 16 gives you 4 full groups and 8 groups for single leg stunts.
I get that 36 to 15 is a prettty big jump though. Think of it like smaller teams give you more of a chance to highlight your athletes:)

Thanks, I never really thought of it that way... And we are still looking for girls, so we are hoping that we will be getting a full 16 soon!?!
I'm still worried that the floor won't be filled enough and you won't see enough stuff at once. But I'm guessing thats where the choreography will get creative!

Thanks, I never really thought of it that way... And we are still looking for girls, so we are hoping that we will be getting a full 16 soon!?!
I'm still worried that the floor won't be filled enough and you won't see enough stuff at once. But I'm guessing thats where the choreography will get creative!
Definitely try and have multiple things going on at once instead of everyone doing the same thing.
For example, at the end of your tumbling passes, try and get a couple transitional stunts coming in from the side as they are tumbling.

15 is a really good number. I had 12 on my youth 1 two years in a row and we were always getting complimented on how clean we were. Creativity will be good (whether 15 or 36). But good luck this season and make sure you put up 7 stunts (or 8 if you get to 16) :)

I think with quantity scoring that's on most scoresheets you should be fine. I feel like even having 15 vs. 20 makes the floor seems empty, so I see what you mean.

My daughter is on 2 teams this year- most of are teams are always very large. However somehow this season mini's ended up being almost full and are youth2 is like around 15. I think large teams look so good I'm really curious to see how are small team turns out! Are youth 2 team also has a good amount of very small girls (my daughter is the youngest at 6 but the older girls are still pretty small in size) it seems like everyone from youth 2 last season got bumped to jr3. I mean the coaches are so wonderful I'm sure they will pull it off but I secretly wish about 10 youth 2 athletes would show up just to add to the team and contribute something! So good luck this season! I'm sure you will do fine!

Anything under 12 is too little. We have had 15 before and it's okay. Anything under 18 really requires competition choices that embrace smaller teams, like American championship or jam brands that has quantity scores to keep it even. Otherwise the bigger competitions that dont break up smaller teams are hard to compete.

Thanks everyone. And we have started looking into the competitions that are aimed toward "smaller" teams. This makes me feel soooo much better! :)

Our mini 1 three years ago had 5 girls ... They were so cute and actually really good even though it was hard too put pyramids and things together

my team last year was youth 2 and we only had 12 girls and we placed top 3 all year long you can do it. I prefer a small team were everyone is maxed out in that level then 20 kids but 8 of them are window dressings.

Well isn't the minimum number of athletes needed to compete 12? That must be the minimum for a reason! 15 is more than 12, so I wouldn't say that isn't too few athletes on the floor :)
Plus, I definitely agree with @stcchamp ... it gives each of the girls more opportunity to shine!

I was on a time with 14 once..oh hey 3 stunt groups. It may look a little empty, but if you use spacing well, it's actually pretty good. Every kid gets to do more, which is great

Back