All-Star How To Be Cute?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 3, 2012
Pretty simple question, I just want to know how to be cute and "loveable" (people love to watch)
yes, i do facials all the time and the lip syncing but sometimes, i'll watch people and i'm just like ew what are you doing. You know how there's always that one girl that you can't keep your eyes off of because she's so cute/fierce, etc.
How can i be that girl?

I really can't stress how much I wish these kind of posts would stop... be yourself. Stop trying so hard. Those girls who are super 'fierce' on the mat are those who are confident and enjoying the routine. Don't focus on it. If you're having a great time and have 'it' (whatever it is...) then it'll shine through and people will be drawn to you. Then again, you can try hard and people will still be drawn to you... for the wrong reasons.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I really can't stress how much I wish these kind of posts would stop... be yourself. Stop trying so hard. Those girls who are super 'fierce' on the mat are those who are confident and enjoying the routine. Don't focus on it. If you're having a great time and have 'it' (whatever it is...) then it'll shine through and people will be drawn to you. Then again, you can try hard and people will still be drawn to you... for the wrong reasons.

THIS. Stop trying to be someone else, comparing yourself to others in a negative light and just be YOU.

Honestly, I think coaches have a big part in it. I used to have horrendous stage presence. I had a few coaches my first year at Twisters who made me believe in myself and feel better about performing and it just started to come naturally. Confidence is key, and they best coaches can instill that in you. Other than that, there really isn't an answer for you.

When I think "fierce", I think "confident". Confidence can come from natural talent or by practicing something over and over until you are comfortable with your performance. Dancers practice in front of mirrors, break it down, will change facials, stride and improve technique until they feel they have perfected that 8 count and move on to the next 8 count. I don't necessarily agree with "just be you", because I was actually I very shy person. It was the dance floor that became the place I could get lost in a different character, let loose and have fun. Performers of any type are rarely the personality they portray on stage. Practice in the mirror and have fun with it.

Much of the time, the confidence comes from knowing the routine cold. It's so exhausting watching someone flail around on the mat as they try to figure out what to do next.

But if you know it, you'll have confidence and the time to do the smiling, etc to be cute and fierce.

The Fierce Board: more debates than USASF has divisions but only barely

I think it has a lot to do with good posture. Looking confident,keeping your head up and shoulders back can definitely make you look more inviting and sweetly intimidating on the floor(if that makes sense lol). It helped me a lot!

Last edited:
Actually, I think it's a very valid question.
I think the "being confident" advice is probably the best, at least for me. "Just be yourself" might work but what if you're really shy and feel awkward? I get, what it's supposed to mean and to someone that has already mastered the performance aspects to some extent, it's probably great to just let go and be themselves.
However, for me, I know that I have to make room for performance during my routine, and I have to start doing it during practice and in every full out later on. Just as I need to know my breathing points, I need to know the moments, when I can interact with the crowd. And it's usually not right before the stunt, I'm most anxious about, for example. ;)
Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of "what in the world am I supposed to do? wave? smile? sing voice overs?".

I usually decide to do one of the above (well not the waving) and stick with it.

When I started cheer, I would always forget my performance moments during competitions as I was way too nervous (over here you sometimes perform your routine only once or twice at comps so there is not so much getting used to it). So, I started to make sure, I practiced smiling as well as stunting. ;)

I also think that it is a very good question. My advice is to listen to your music and visualize your routine. Maybe even have someone tape it for you. Watch it and figure out the points where the judge and audience are most focused on you or your area of the routine. Choreo into your routine the spots where you can interact with the audience. You don't t have to vamp it up, but a smile or nod or even one of the vowel facials (I, E, O, U) can make your performance more engaging. You don't have to be like someone else but you definitely can do things that enhance your own performance.

Another very important thing is to practice the routine until you can't do it wrong. Once your body is able to do it by rote, it will free your mind from worrying about the next step. Your reactions to the performance will become very natural

Back