All-Star How To Be Involved In Cheer When You Cannot Tumble/stunt Anymore?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
I have a sweet student who had planned to cheer on a college team, but recently discovered medical issues mean that she cannot risk a concussion or any sort of head injury. No tumbling, no stunting. She’s pretty upset. Is there any way that she can still be involved in cheer?

I have a sweet student who had planned to cheer on a college team, but recently discovered medical issues mean that she cannot risk a concussion or any sort of head injury. No tumbling, no stunting. She’s pretty upset. Is there any way that she can still be involved in cheer?
Coaching, choreo, assistant coach , get credentialed , start with coaching tinys, they are so fun.

This actually makes me ask myself as a coach, sometimes a softy in situations like these..
how much would a scoresheet ACTUALLY be affected if 1 person was not involved in any tumbling or stunting? and just "spotted" a stunt, or did motions in front of a stunt - and just didn't tumble etc? I'd imagine it comes down to the program policies but .. I dunno - I just wonder about the scoresheet

This actually makes me ask myself as a coach, sometimes a softy in situations like these..
how much would a scoresheet ACTUALLY be affected if 1 person was not involved in any tumbling or stunting? and just "spotted" a stunt, or did motions in front of a stunt - and just didn't tumble etc? I'd imagine it comes down to the program policies but .. I dunno - I just wonder about the scoresheet
IDK how I'd feel about paying that much money to jump and dance though...

If we had an IO team nearby, I’d be tempted to suggest she talk to the coach. She volunteers with a CheerAbilities team already.

Concussions can be very serious. If the Doctors are saying she is done I think it is safer to stay off of the competition mat. I would be worried she could accidentally get hit or ran into while on the mat at a competition.

Does the college team compete? Because if its just sideline could she try out and see if she can just jump and dance?

No sideline option-it’s a D1 school with multiple competitive teams who also do sideline as needed.

No sideline option-it’s a D1 school with multiple competitive teams who also do sideline as needed.
Unfortunately, it seems like she might need to come to terms with being done with cheer then. At least as an athlete :-( Does she have any interest/talent in dance if her school has a club dance group? My school does I know some former cheerleaders who were done with the whole stunting and tumbling thing joined the dance ensemble. Or does the school have student assistant coaches? Though, I would worry about that just making things worse and she sees what she can't do anymore.

It also may be a good time to find something new all together! I did one year of sideline college cheer but had mixed feelings about the experience whereas I had a great time on the Campus Activities Board so I didn't do cheer sophomore year and instead applied for a leadership position on CAB. Turns out I am a natural at event planning and it was a great resume booster. I never would have thought about that in high school.

I would just tell her to go to meetings for a lot of different clubs and groups and be open to totally new experiences.

Unfortunately, it seems like she might need to come to terms with being done with cheer then. At least as an athlete :-( Does she have any interest/talent in dance if her school has a club dance group? My school does I know some former cheerleaders who were done with the whole stunting and tumbling thing joined the dance ensemble. Or does the school have student assistant coaches? Though, I would worry about that just making things worse and she sees what she can't do anymore.

It also may be a good time to find something new all together! I did one year of sideline college cheer but had mixed feelings about the experience whereas I had a great time on the Campus Activities Board so I didn't do cheer sophomore year and instead applied for a leadership position on CAB. Turns out I am a natural at event planning and it was a great resume booster. I never would have thought about that in high school.

I would just tell her to go to meetings for a lot of different clubs and groups and be open to totally new experiences.

This 100%. Many cheerleaders find success in dance.
As a college level coach, I don't think I would take someone that couldn't stunt or tumble- even for medical reasons. If I'm cutting girls for tryouts, why would I cut someone to take a nugget?
If cheering is her end game, she might find success in small, non-competitive schools. Maybe tell her to try going to a dance clinic at a college of her choice. Injuries suck :(

Do you mind me asking if this relates to a blood disorder, specifically Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura?

It’s related to blood clotting, yes. I don’t think it’s that specific disorder.

Could she maybe talk to the coaches and act as an assistant for the programme or the team so she can remain involved without cheering? Sorta like the thing Jordyn Weiber has done for the last few years at UCLA gymnastics as she passed up her NCAA eligibility to go pro and still wanted to be involved with the team? If not and the athlete in question is old enough is there maybe any chance she could look into the coaching side of things with a local rec team or all star gym? May not be the same but a lot of athletes transition into coaching roles after leaving cheer and have said it is just as fulfilling as being on the floor.

It’s related to blood clotting, yes. I don’t think it’s that specific disorder.

Depending on the disorder, there are treatments that can help put her in the "safe" zone (albeit there is no safe concussion for anyone). When we found out about oldest's ITP she was 4 and we weren't really concerned about asking about sports, but if she wants to cheer have her to talk to her hematologist about it, if she hasn't. Insurance companies dictate the cheapest treatment or no treatment first, but there are many hematologists that will make the call to state treatment is needed for lifestyle reasons. While her insurance yearly deductible might be too high to consider treatment just for cheer, there are the life things such as accidents and emergency surgeries that are a concern, as well.

Back