All-Star How To Become A Coach? Help.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 16, 2011
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to become a coach I cheered for 10 years and graduated in 2011 and all I've ever wanted to do is be a coach and see girls grow up to love the sport just like I did. I was always told by parents that I am a great leader and I was tried pumping my team up before we took the floor and that girls looked up to me as a big sister. Cheer is my passion and all I wanna know is how to start my cheer coaching career. Help please!

I had the same story and here's what I did.

1. You can either contact your old program and 9/10 they will welcome you back with open arms to join the staff and the "other side" of the program.

2. Email the directors of different gyms near where you live and introduce yourself. You can express your interest to them and see if they have room for more coaches now or for the upcoming season.

Be willing to train. Just because you cheered, teaching is a whole different ball game. Athletes like students learn differently, so the style that worked for you may not work for every athlete that you coach. Find an older seasoned coach who is welling to mentor you, not just throw you out on the floor. Take notes and refer to them often.

Be patient. You will not coach a Worlds team your first year. You will probably not even coach a higher level team your first year. Be willing to start at the bottom and establish trust between your athletes and the staff. You may be the gopher and the bag holder. Do it and learn.

Be on time! That means be there 10-15 minutes early each day minimum. You have to prepare to teach class and team not just show up, drop your keys and go 5,6,7,8...

Be available. This means work the classes that others don't want to work, stay late if needed and keep your future goals in sight.

Be pleasant. Smile! Check the attitude before you get out the car and keep it there till you get back in after your shift. If you are happy about your job, chances are that you will do a better job. This means the athletes will be happier and choose to keep coming back.

Just out of curiosity, Do most coaches have another job besides coaching like some school coaches that teach and coach on the side or is it a full time job?

Congrats!

Back