High School How To Choose A Captain?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 9, 2010
On my team, we have 3 returning girls that want to be captain and I was wondering which one you guys would pick out of curiosity.
Girl 1: she is a dancer, she didn't show up to a lot of games and didn't show up to a huge assembely but yet, she still got to be center flyer, and point dancer. Has no tumbling doesn't have much knowledge of cheer.
Girl 2: she is also a dancer, left early to a lot of games or didn't come at all, still was in the front for most dances. Doesn't know much about cheer.
Girl 3: she is actually a cheerleader, showed up to all games and practices, flyer and has a back handspring.

Thanks for reading:)

I would most definently pick girl 3, because she seems the most committed to the team, and that's what kinda person you want as captain of your squad. NOT someone who is either gonna leave early or not show up because should ALWAYS be someone you can rely on and not be worried about if they are going to show up. But that's just me. Good Luck with your choosing, I hope you choose the right person.
biggrin.png

There's a lot more to being a captain than can be assessed by a few details without any personal experience with the girls.

On the surface it would seem like girl three butttt...this all seems a bit biased to me lol. I'm sure there's much more to the decision than we can see.

At my school the seniors have a meeting with the coach at the end of your junior year before tryouts and they talk about all new ideas for the next season, then the girls that want to be captain write an essay explaining why and how they can lead the team, why they deserve it etc. then at the end of the 4 day tryouts she announces the captains. If the team is 25-30 girls there are 4 captains and if there are 20-25 girls she usually picks 3.

Oh and girl 1 is also an experienced dancer and has been dancing all her life. She also can do an aerial.

Yeah I feel like this choice is way to obvious. If these were the only factors, you wouldn't need other people's input.

I don't take tumbling skills into account at all when picking a captain. It's all about leadership.

PS if you don't get it don't be distraught. I was not captain my senior year but still had an amazing year leading by example.

So this sounds a little biased.....i'm going to say not 3 because i think you are #3 and are talking down to your teammates a little bit. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you have more cheer and tumbling experience, do not have a negative view for the rest of your team (they are your team after all, no matter if they are super dedicated or not!). If the other girls are dancers, then see their strengths and be excited that you can use cool dance moves mixed with your cheer moves for a super awesome routine!
There are different types of leaders and many ways to lead......skills dont really come into play unless the team doesnt respect you for not having the squad requirement or that sort of thing. I think we too often think captain = best person on the team/ most involved/ oldest, etc. a.k.a "the boss" but it doesn't!!! The first 2 traits are great qualities for a leader to have, but ultimately a captain= mediator. She can motivate and communicate to the entire team when no one else can, and stays unbiased in situations with teammates while calmly trying to find a solution for the many problems that arise. Other veteran teammembers are still leaders just as much as the captain, but without having to be the designated communicator between everyone and the coach.

If you get captain, great. Don't take a power trip. You're still an equal on the team, but do an additional service(note: NOT a position of power but a service)
If you don't, then do not raise a stink/gossip/ talk behind people's backs/be bitter to whoever else got captain/start drama. It may seem like a big deal now, but in another 2-3 years no one is going to care in college lol. Let it go and be a great teammate and role model to the younger squads.

i would choose girl three, since she seems to be the most committed to the team. She also has a knowledge of cheerleading, which will help her make your team better.

There's a lot more to being a captain than can be assessed by a few details without any personal experience with the girls.

On the surface it would seem like girl three butttt...this all seems a bit biased to me lol. I'm sure there's much more to the decision than we can see.
i was just going to say this seems a little biased. seems like your making girl 3 to be the obvious choice.

um... am i the only one who wonders how girls 1 & 2 were even put back on the team if they missed games, big assemblies (pep rallies?) and left early from games? I would have cut those 2 at the next tryout if they don't have the dedication to fulfill their commitments to the team.

it seems like #3 would be the best choice. From what you've said she seems like she is the most committed and knows more about the sport.

carolina04 said:
um... am i the only one who wonders how girls 1 & 2 were even put back on the team if they missed games, big assemblies (pep rallies?) and left early from games? I would have cut those 2 at the next tryout if they don't have the dedication to fulfill their commitments to the team.

Agreed. I wouldn't let them back on the team the next year. Actually they probably already would have been dismissed from the team after missing games and events mid-season.

Back