High School How To Handle An Attempted Suicide

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When a child makes a suicide attempt, it is such a sad thing. My heart goes out to her and her family. I can see why they want her to come back an re-engage in her activities, and without knowing what her motivation was, it's hard to say how it will play out. If her parents tell you that she knows they told her, I would definitely not pretend it didn't happen, and would say something like, " I am glad to see you, and I am here if you need someone to talk to." Then follow her lead from there. If she is saying that she still just wants to die, then you could be in for a bumpy ride. I would definitely consult the school psychologist regarding your role as a supporter and possibly as a mandated reporter. I think it is the girls' choice, to whatever degree possible, about who else knows.

We have a girl who just recently attempted suicide. She will be coming back to the team in about a week or so and I am not sure how to approach the situation. The team does not know (per request of the family) what happened. We told them she had medical issues. I am wondering as a coach how we treat her when she comes back... Do we act like nothing happened? Do we tell her we are here for her? What do we do? And if the team finds out what actually happened how do we help them handle it?

Definitely talk to her before practice, show that you care without being overwhelming. She may want to talk
Or she may not. An extreme is pretty common---extreme normal ness like nothing happened if not a bit happy or exteme quietness and being reserved. Do little to draw attention to it in front of the other kids and remember not to act in an extreme if someone makes a dumb comment not realizing the situation. That reaction will get wheels turning.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you to everybody again for the advice. From what I am hearing she is doing better. I found out she should be returning to practice on Monday. Her mom has said it would be ok for us to say something short to her that we are here for her no matter what she needs and that we care for her. We are going to let her make the decision of who she wants to tell (It's definitely not our situation to tell) and if she decides to tell the team that is her decision. We will support her in whatever she decides. She did say that she misses the team and us coaches and is excited to come back to practice. She was telling everybody how much she loves cheer and she is the person that says "I don't like cheer. I just do it because it gives me a nice butt..."

I hope your athlete's return to school/cheer is smooth and comfortable for her. One thing that struck me though, was that as of Thursday, you stated that she was still telling her counselor that she still "wanted to die". I have had a little history with this type of thing and am very surprised that a hospital would even consider releasing a patient who is still feeling this way. I know there are different laws/rules in different states, but as a parent, I would be very reluctant to return my child into her regular environment if she is still feeling this way. Until she makes a change in the way she feels about this , she may very well try it again. Therapy is very important for her to figure out why she did it in the first place. As a coach, making her feel comfortable and accepted will be very important so that she can begin moving forward again.

I hope your athlete's return to school/cheer is smooth and comfortable for her. One thing that struck me though, was that as of Thursday, you stated that she was still telling her counselor that she still "wanted to die". I have had a little history with this type of thing and am very surprised that a hospital would even consider releasing a patient who is still feeling this way. I know there are different laws/rules in different states, but as a parent, I would be very reluctant to return my child into her regular environment if she is still feeling this way. Until she makes a change in the way she feels about this , she may very well try it again. Therapy is very important for her to figure out why she did it in the first place. As a coach, making her feel comfortable and accepted will be very important so that she can begin moving forward again.
It definitely was a shock to me too that she was coming home. I am hearing everything through my other coach who is hearing it from her mom so I am wondering if it wasn't nearly as bad as I originally thought. I am definitely concerned it will happen again and will make sure to keep an eye on her and watch for changes.

I experienced this last year. My team was under the impression that the girl was being temporarily home schooled due to bullying issues, and I always acted none the wiser around the rest of the team.

As far as when the girl returned, her and I have a close relationship, so she knew I knew. This helped because she was comfortable talking to me if she needed to sit out,
Or just take a break from practice to collect her thoughts.

While I walked on eggshells around her, I made sure not to make it obvious to anyone else on the team.

Just be sure you are attentive to signs that she may need a minute and call a water break at that point or switch it up to a team bonding activity.

Eventually, things went back to normal, and she is on the team this season, and happier than ever!

Good luck

Back