How To Overcome The Biggest Mental Block?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 15, 2015
Hi! I would not post here if I wasn't desperate. I'm in this new all star team and almost everyone has tumbling so I have a lot of pressure to get my back handspring. After a lot of work over the summer, nothing could help me get over my mental block and I could never throw it on my own. I finally asked my coach if I could work on my round off back handspring instead. After a few tries, I did it and I wasn't scared at all to do it! It was so easy! I was throwing it alone (which is unusual to me, I always need a spot) on the floor. It kind of made me not scared of back handsprings and I could FINALLY throw them when I wanted without being scared. I was SO happy!!
But it's been 2 tumbling practices now, and it's like something cliked and it's worst than before. I can't even throw them being spotted! I'm so frustrated at me and my coach look so disapointed in me. It even ruined my round off back handspring, I keep not throwing it. I don't understand at all... In my free time, all I do is visualize it because I heard it helped. I keep telling me to think positive and I can do it. But when I have to do it, all my body freezes. I cannot move. I don't understand how people make it look so easy and are not scared.
I really need advices, it's really bringing me down...

I had this not long ago. I still can't BHS on the floor, but I was practising them spotted on our inflatable track. The only thing ypu can really do, I found, was go right back to the basics. Drills like jumping onto a flat back really help. I had to go all the way back to perfecting my swing. Its been a few weeks now since I got over my block and I'm finally throwing them myself on the air track.

After twelve years of coaching seeing various girls get a "block" the best way to help is to start from the beginning again and work on basics and have them come back. It's not as long of a process since they already have muscle memory. It is also important that you are 100% supportive. I personally don't believe in the whole "block" theory, but I know that if you say that then you've lost them. Supporting them is better!

After twelve years of coaching seeing various girls get a "block" the best way to help is to start from the beginning again and work on basics and have them come back. It's not as long of a process since they already have muscle memory. It is also important that you are 100% supportive. I personally don't believe in the whole "block" theory, but I know that if you say that then you've lost them. Supporting them is better!
what do you mean by "block theory"? You don't believe blocks or real, or you think the current theory about handling them is wrong?

I guess a little bit of both...I believe blocks are real in some cases, but sometimes I think that it becomes a way for members not to throw their skills...hard to explain...blocks can become an epidemic in your program if you don't watch it...if there was a legit fall or injury from a skill then I can see a block developing in some cases.

I also think that the currently theory of pushing someone that has a legit block to their breaking point or making them just focus on that one skill without starting with the basics of that skill could be detrimental.

There are multiple web sites if you google on this topic. Debbie Love has some excellent ideas you could do on your own - yes I have had a cheerleader who has been through this and we went through many things before it got better. There are also some outside options hypnosis etc but I think that would depend on the cheerleader, money, and if there are outside psychological issues complicating the block. If there is another coach in the gym that has a different style that may help you as well. Finding what is right for you and not getting discourage is a big part of it. Conditioning overall while you are going through this is also key - building your body while you fix your mind.

Sorry not to see this sooner! I didn't get a notification for the tag (Thank you @Official OWECheer )

It sounds like you're doing a lot of things well- positive thinking and imagery. That's important for building confidence mentally, but you also have to build confidence physically. So, I agree with the other suggestion of going backward, to help you go forward. Go back to basics, drills, etc. that help you regain the feeling and the confidence and trust in your body. I also think that you have to find a way to trust, or have faith that your body knows what it's doing and your mind needs to get out of the way. Even when you don't feel like the positive thinking and mental strategies are working, keep up with them because they're like physical skills that you need to practice. Also try creating mental choreography: come up with words (corrections or cues to what to do) for each part of the skill so that you have something specific to focus on at every moment to help you avoid the negative thoughts or worries. Eventually this helps you go on auto pilot. Message me if you want to check in more.

Back