High School How Would You Improve?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 15, 2017
If you could have someone come to teach your team how to improve one thing, what would it be?

Examples: Teaching how to properly condition, how to prevent injuries, fixing jumps/motions, strength building for tumbling, etc.

The sky is the limit!

Sharpness!

I'd love if someone could break down how to be "sharp". It is such an off concept for new athletes and sometimes they just can't get it to "click".
This just takes dedicating a little time every practice and persistence from you to enforce it! Replying here so I remember to come back and explain how we really started fixing this issue years ago!

This season would be jumps. I've pulled out all my tricks... these are the worst jumpers I've ever had!!

Teaching that tumbling doesn't end at a standing tuck and that they should shoot for a higher goal if they are able to.

I don't coach but teaching proper lifting techniques and correct alignment in partner stunts. Most athletes would be surprised at the wonders a few technical corrections would do for their building skills. Poor form makes many stunts harder than they have to be.

I don't coach but teaching proper lifting techniques and correct alignment in partner stunts. Most athletes would be surprised at the wonders a few technical corrections would do for their building skills. Poor form makes many stunts harder than they have to be.

Even more specific, a way to make them absorb this simple advice... They all know good technique makes stunts work, but I feel that so often it just doesn't click....

Even more specific, a way to make them absorb this simple advice... They all know good technique makes stunts work, but I feel that so often it just doesn't click....
@Official OWECheer

Cp started standing away from the stunt a couple of years ago. Her side base was getting under the stunt, but cp was standing away from her by about 4-6". I decided it must be a fear thing, but I noticed while watching some old videos, she didn't always do it. What I did notice was her past backspots were taller and placed their feet outside of the stunt, but her most recent backspot was only about an inch taller and often stepped into the stunt. Her leg was closest to cp, so cp would twist sideways or stand away to avoid her leg. She asked her backspot to keep her feet outside the stunt, but then it would fall because she said she was too short to get the grip. Her and her base decided they would get into a deeper plie so their back could reach, but then their legs forced her further away. Is there a way to correct this when the backspot is about the same height as the bases?

@Official OWECheer

Cp started standing away from the stunt a couple of years ago. Her side base was getting under the stunt, but cp was standing away from her by about 4-6". I decided it must be a fear thing, but I noticed while watching some old videos, she didn't always do it. What I did notice was her past backspots were taller and placed their feet outside of the stunt, but her most recent backspot was only about an inch taller and often stepped into the stunt. Her leg was closest to cp, so cp would twist sideways or stand away to avoid her leg. She asked her backspot to keep her feet outside the stunt, but then it would fall because she said she was too short to get the grip. Her and her base decided they would get into a deeper plie so their back could reach, but then their legs forced her further away. Is there a way to correct this when the backspot is about the same height as the bases?

Maybe not the best technical advice - but if I was backing tall bases - it wasn't uncommon for me to be on my tip toes ... oops...

@Official OWECheer

I don't have enough expertise to confidently offer you advice on this. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

I don't have enough expertise to confidently offer you advice on this. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

I don't know if I'm reading it correctly because I just woke from a nap (don't make fun).

Everyone's toes and knees should be pointing forward. The squat at the catch should take the bottoms back like a good "lifting" squat position on which should, in turn, keep anyone's knees from going forward getting in anyone else's way.

Does that help whoever the original asker was?

Back