Huge Mentalblock For Bhs Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2011
First of all, please excuse my grammar, I'm from sweden. Second, when I start to write I can't stop, sorry... Lots of text, it's my whole story behind my blocks, so yeah.

Okay, so I've gotten a mentalblock for bhs on anything that isn't soft, and for standing backtucks.
Story of my bhs:
I've always been scared for everything going backwards, but I've been good at stuff forward. I can do a front full out of a trampolin.
Last fall I was working really hard on my bhs and ro-bhs when my right elbow was dislocated after a bad ro-bhs on the airtrack. I didn't have enough hight in the bhs and my hands were angled outwards. That was in September.
I couldn't do bhs for a long time, mostly because I was in pain. I started working on them again in january, and I had them by no problem in February. It was easy, they weren't scary and it didn't hurt.
Then, at the beginning of March when I started working on getting my bhs longer and keeping my knees totally together, my left elbow was dislocated and the muscleholds were very streched and stuff like that. 2 month before nationals. Great.
I went to the physiotherapist a lot and on the 24th of march i started stunting some 360s and doubledowns and so, trying not to push or put any weight on my left arm. It hurted, but I made it.
Three weeks later I could stunt almost without any pain, so I started doing bhs on springfloor with a spot. Pretty much only focusing on keeping my arms and legs together.
Time went and I did my bhs with less and less spot, but never completly without it. I couldn't do it if I didn't have a hand in the back.
Nationals were coming up and i couldn't do it without a spot, but I had to do it.
I ended up crying in my comp. makeup because I just couldn't throw it. I tried, but it didn't work.
So I didn't do it, but we still won.

Now I just can't throw it without a spot. I can do it on a leaning soft mat and anything that is soft basicly. I know that I can do my bhs but my body just don't let me throw it.
I don't know what to do, and tryouts are coming soon and I need a toetouch-bhs...
Any help is good help!

I think what you should do is have your tumbling coach trick you with taking the hand away every once in a while so you don't know when it's gonna come. Maybe this will help your body to realize that having the spot there isn't really needed anymore.

So i have the most AMAZING trick :) so stand a little bit to the right(or left) and a little bit back. then walk to the spot where youre going to throw it. the second you get there, throw it. keep doing that until you're confident. works like a charm

So i have the most AMAZING trick :) so stand a little bit to the right(or left) and a little bit back. then walk to the spot where youre going to throw it. the second you get there, throw it. keep doing that until you're confident. works like a charm

Yeah I usually do that when I'm doing tucks, it's harder in back handsprings because we do coreographed steps before, so I can't like run there and throw it directly. I can throw it with a spot always, as long as the spotters have a hand on my back all the time.

Yeah I usually do that when I'm doing tucks, it's harder in back handsprings because we do coreographed steps before, so I can't like run there and throw it directly. I can throw it with a spot always, as long as the spotters have a hand on my back all the time.
Find somewhere you are comfortable. Like cheese mat, tumble trak etc. by yourself. If doing a bhs isn't happening do bwo's. You need to get confidence in going backwards. I don't do the "trick hand pull" bc it can scare the athlete into not trusting the coach. Going backwards is a scary thing. Try finding someway to do something without a spot. Good Luck!!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back