All-Star I Just Wish He'd Put On The Cheer Dad Shirt Already...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 6, 2014
Here we go again, every year at tryouts it's the same thing and it makes me want to pull out my hair. Hubby starts in with:
1) It's too expensive (we can afford it, you can bet your sweet bippy if it was a "boy" sport no cost would be spared and this would not come up--oh but he says there's no travel for those sports like there is for cheer)
2) There's too much travel (we went to 3 out of towners this year, not too far, he went to 1 of them.---resorts back to too expensive--then also throws in we never get to take trips as a whole family because of these out of towners)
3) She can't get a scholarship in cheer (she's 8. Really?)
4) It's too loud and annoying (then wear some earplugs and enjoy being there for your kid)

She LOVES cheer and she's great at it. He wants her to do softball and basketball this year. I'm all for trying new things and letting her choose what she wants to do, but I just don't get it if there is something your kid loves why fight it---before we know it she will be gone and she'll remember her dad always trying to talk her out of something she loved. And she has no interest in basketball and softball, she loves cheer and tumbling.

Don't get me wrong--he's a wonderful husband and father and is very proud of her--I think he does feel left out--but why can't he just put on that "Cheer Dad" shirt and embrace it?! ;)

I guess I just want to know I'm not alone! Or needed to vent.... either way, thanks for hanging in there with my ramble. :)

I've been cheering every year since I was 9 and my dad has hated every minute of it. He just doesn't get it. I see cheer dads and wonder why he can't just love the fact that I love the sport. He just tells me to quit because it's a "waste of time" "why am I paying for this again?"and "you can't do anything with it in the future." :( Some dads just don't get it I guess.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It's so hard and sad to me when parents or a parent only sees our sport as toe touches and tucks. What you learn from this sport will help you in so many places in life. Areas that have nothing to do with physical activity of any kind. I know you will get those skills and experiences with other sports as well but what I learned in my career has almost proven life saving for me.

Sorry Gemma. Some fathers just don't get this sport. Maybe the best you can hope for is he is at least positive and supportive for team CP if not the sport itself.

Has he ever met any dads that do get the sport? Could be something that makes a difference.

And for what it is worth, other sports that reach the competitive level of all star cheer can be much more expensive with more travel.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Hater Shades, trying to be relevant since 2009.

A few years back a dad was ranting about the same thing in the parent room. He went on and on about how his daughter was so talented in basketball and soccer and what a waste cheerleading was and there are no professional "cheerleaders", blah, blah, blah. A man a few seats down finally had enough and said, "My wife played basketball on a scholarship in college, she has since then never picked up a ball, she has however, been the cheerleader of our family every single solitary day I have known her."

The scholarships are few and far between, but the life lessons are never ceasing. Best of luck!

My poor dad. I quit softball to focus on cheer once I got to high school and I think I broke his heart a little. He went to every single competition, watched me for 2.5 minutes, and then watched football on his handheld TV he'd bring. By the end of my cheer career, he was making up his own names for body positions, which were quite interesting. I hope your husband comes around @Gemma :)

Here we go again, every year at tryouts it's the same thing and it makes me want to pull out my hair. Hubby starts in with:
1) It's too expensive (we can afford it, you can bet your sweet bippy if it was a "boy" sport no cost would be spared and this would not come up--oh but he says there's no travel for those sports like there is for cheer)
2) There's too much travel (we went to 3 out of towners this year, not too far, he went to 1 of them.---resorts back to too expensive--then also throws in we never get to take trips as a whole family because of these out of towners)
3) She can't get a scholarship in cheer (she's 8. Really?)
4) It's too loud and annoying (then wear some earplugs and enjoy being there for your kid)

She LOVES cheer and she's great at it. He wants her to do softball and basketball this year. I'm all for trying new things and letting her choose what she wants to do, but I just don't get it if there is something your kid loves why fight it---before we know it she will be gone and she'll remember her dad always trying to talk her out of something she loved. And she has no interest in basketball and softball, she loves cheer and tumbling.

Don't get me wrong--he's a wonderful husband and father and is very proud of her--I think he does feel left out--but why can't he just put on that "Cheer Dad" shirt and embrace it?! ;)

I guess I just want to know I'm not alone! Or needed to vent.... either way, thanks for hanging in there with my ramble. :)

Oh you are far from alone, my dear. My husband has said all the same things! (Are we married to the same guy?) lol

My cp has an older brother who has played every sport there is around here and we did try to get her to play the stick and ball sports. She never wanted any of it. So when we started with AS 2 years ago, the complaining started.
He and my son would even say, cheer isn't a sport! Why do you want to do that? :eek:
Well, one day I had enough. I told both of them I better not EVER hear them say that to her again. And I told my husband, remember, girls pick guys who remind them of their father be it good or bad. Do you want her to find men who pick on her and put down her interests? Or do you want her to date guys who support her and lift her up?? Think about it!
I don't give a rat's *ss if you hate what she does, you better be the good guy in this and not the bad guy.

Of course he figured out I was right :cheering: and has been pretty supportive. He goes to the comps that are local. I don't drag him to the far away ones because I don't want to torture the guy nor do I want to have to entertain him. LOL! But he only stays until her team goes on and then gives her a hug and goes home. I can live with that. :cool:
He even asked her how her tryouts were the last two nights when we came home and listened to her rattle on about tumbling and jumps.

Welllll, I've gone on way more than I intended. I guess I can just really relate to your post. Good luck. Be patient. But put your foot down when it comes to supporting your cp. :kiss:

Total bummer. My parents never got super into it when I was in all stars, just because they didn't know anything about it. But they came to all my competitions. Even when I cheered sideline in high school (even though they weren't initially thrilled that I found a new hobby), my dad would come to almost every game, just to watch me. At the time it didn't seem like much, but looking back now, I'm really thankful and appreciative.
Hopefully things change, and the Dad's realize it's not about cheer; it's about supporting your kid no matter what they choose, or what they are passionate about.

My dad was never a fan of the cheerleading, he loved telling people that I was the Feature Twirler for my school but was never big on telling them I cheered for school or AS. When I made my college team though it all changed. Suddenly he was planning what games he could come to and he loved spending spring break at MAC tournament.

I go through this with my husband (step-father to CP) I cheered all star and school cheer. I presently coach middle school cheer. My CP played 3 seasons of soccer before she decided she disliked it. She asked me to let her cheer. At first I was a little against it for how young she was, but do not regret it. She loves cheer and excels at it. My husband always says this will never lead to anything- we spend too much time at the cheer gym, this is for rich people (lol). however on the other hand her dad is very supportive. Hes most excited about her starting into the more advanced tumbling. My husband never shows his negative side to CP so thats a plus. I just get an ear full all the time. Especially now that I will be coaching the tinies at the cheer gym along with my middle school squad. UGH they will never understand.

I have actually decided to leave my husband home this season for out of town competitions. As soon as CP is finished he is ready to go while myself and CP want to stay and watch. We enjoy watching the levels higher than my CP and she dreams of getting "that good". This year I will share a room with another cheer mom and we can gossip, talk about the other teams uniforms (usually how much we love or hate them) My husband encourages my CP but I know and understand he just doesn't "get" it.

I have actually decided to leave my husband home this season for out of town competitions. As soon as CP is finished he is ready to go while myself and CP want to stay and watch. We enjoy watching the levels higher than my CP and she dreams of getting "that good". This year I will share a room with another cheer mom and we can gossip, talk about the other teams uniforms (usually how much we love or hate them) My husband encourages my CP but I know and understand he just doesn't "get" it.

Im hoping this upcoming season, to leave my hubby at home also. I think his work schedule will be hectic and prevent him from coming. He also likes to leave right after her awards.

I never take dh to out of town comps. Even local comps he attends one a season, mostly due to the insane ticket costs. He stays for her team, maybe awards and then he's out.
Before cp took her year off I heard about the cost, how we couldn't afford anything because of it, you can't get a scholarship, ect. During her year off she tried volleyball...liked it but didn't love it. Since coming back he's been pretty quiet about the money.
Our upcoming issue will be the youngest. She loves diving but had been begging to do cheer when this season is over (in August). There is no way he will let her quit diving, especially for cheer (even though it's cheaper).

Back