All-Star I Just Wish He'd Put On The Cheer Dad Shirt Already...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm laughing because my dad made up names for everything. God bless him. We'd get off the floor and he'd be like tiny blonde girl right side fell on her twisty spin thing to foot grab (360 to heel stretch). I give him credit because he tried, he truly did. I was very lucky to have a dad that supported me at just about every game and competition. I know he didn't love cheerleading but I knew he loved me because he came.

ETA: My dad has my cheer head on a stick in his office still and I haven't cheered in 3 years...
Do we have the same parents? Mine sooo made heads on a stick too! Even for high school graduation.

It's okay! :) I will go to all of my future children's sports. Live and learn

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That is exactly what I do. I never miss a game or a competition. And I'm usually the team mom too! We have learned what NOT to do and that is a good thing. ;)

Nope thats not my dad. But I follow that certain photographer on instagram too, and he takes amazing pictures. :)

If your dad is the guy who I follow on instagram with a middle eastern user name (hee hee), he takes AMAZING pictures. ;)

:cool: They're talking about me on the fierce board. Dad's don't know what their missing, all star cheer is my sport. I don't know beans about football, baseball or basketball. I follow the teams and the athletes very closely. I really love the competitions and try to capture as many teams as I can on my camera. But that doesn't make me the ultimate cheer dad or a great guy. I keep a low profile at competitions and try to blend in. I don't dress up, get on stage, lead chants. That's just not me. Whose amazing? The athletes of course, my part is easy.

@baghdadfred on Instagram

Last edited:
Neither of my parents ever went to my sporting events. My mom went to a couple of comps in high school but that was it. She went to my state games in fieldhockey. My dad never went to anything because he lived out of state.

And once again you remind me how you and I had the same upbringing... :(
It's okay! :) I will go to all of my future children's sports. Live and learn

That is exactly what I do. I never miss a game or a competition. And I'm usually the team mom too! We have learned what NOT to do and that is a good thing. ;)

Ditto. I only had my dad when I was growing up (my mom died when I was very young). He never came to one thing. Sometimes he'd forget to even pick me up from practice or games. Not one dance performance, gymnastics meet, field hockey. My sister came to them though, when she could (she's older and was away at college)

The result of that? Now I never miss one thing my kids do. I've never missed a school play, chorus concert, competition, game... nothing. And you sure hit the nail on the head @Cheermom1969 - I chose dads for them that were just like mine. Neither of their dads could even name their cheer gym, let alone go to a competition.

So for everyone on here that likes to complain about how over-involved some of us parents can get, maybe you could think about why. I'm sure my kids are much happier with me as involved as I am, than I was sitting on the curb waiting for my dad who couldn't even remember I played a sport. I'll take Susie's mom over my dad any day of the week.

:cool: They're talking about me on the fierce board. Dad's don't know what their missing, all star cheer is my sport. I don't know beans about football, baseball or basketball. I follow the teams and the athletes very closely. I really love the competitions and try to capture as many teams as I can on my camera. But that doesn't make me the ultimate cheer dad or a great guy. I keep a low profile at competitions and try to blend in. I don't dress up, get on stage, lead chants. That's just not me. Whose amazing? The athletes of course, my part is easy.

Well you are one talented photographer! I love seeing your pictures. :)

My parents just told me I cannot cheer this year because they cant get off work to get me to competitions, when I could obviously catch a ride with one of my teammates to the competitions. My brother plays basketball and baseball, and travels all around our state. No problems for him! :banghead: So basically, I have to quit the one thing I love the most after doing it for 5 years. Yay me!
sounds like you can pull a very nice, mature proposal together and suggest how you can manage much of your cheer if they would allow you to continue.

I don't fangirl any cheerleaders. But I fangirl your photos.

I have found that education about cheer helped a little. My hubby still hates cheer with a passion , but grew to appreciate it more after watching the espn Worlds broadcast, where the announcer called it like a "real" sport. He doesn't listen to me when I ramble about cheer, but once he heard someone official call it, it magically became more interesting.

Ditto. I only had my dad when I was growing up (my mom died when I was very young). He never came to one thing. Sometimes he'd forget to even pick me up from practice or games. Not one dance performance, gymnastics meet, field hockey. My sister came to them though, when she could (she's older and was away at college)

The result of that? Now I never miss one thing my kids do. I've never missed a school play, chorus concert, competition, game... nothing. And you sure hit the nail on the head @Cheermom1969 - I chose dads for them that were just like mine. Neither of their dads could even name their cheer gym, let alone go to a competition.

So for everyone on here that likes to complain about how over-involved some of us parents can get, maybe you could think about why. I'm sure my kids are much happier with me as involved as I am, than I was sitting on the curb waiting for my dad who couldn't even remember I played a sport. I'll take Susie's mom over my dad any day of the week.

Truth! It's very disheartening when you look up in the stands and no one is there to support you. I've had the "forgot to pick me up" a couple of times. It's always fun walking home in negative degree weather.

As a former cheer dad I know just about every term there is in cheer. I have a good idea of all the levels of cheer when I watch a routine and have a good idea of the skills involved in each level. Not so much on the technical side but I have a good idea just from being around it a long time. My boy was a HS baseball player so when he was playing little league I was involved and went to as many games as I could. I know the game of baseball so it was easy to get all involved and wrapped up in it . My girl was a cheerleader so I felt as a dad, I should to know as much as I could so I can relate to her when she talked cheer and when I went to all the tournaments I could make. She actually got a kick out of me being able to talk cheer with her and talking all the lingo. I made cheer just as important as baseball because to her, it was. Somebody needs to wake up cheer dad before his CP's time as a cheerleader comes and goes and get to those tournaments if he has the time and support his kid. Dad missing out on great moments by not taking an interest. I would've never missed an opportunity to watch my CP compete. Wear that cheer dad shirt proudly!

Last edited:
sounds like you can pull a very nice, mature proposal together and suggest how you can manage much of your cheer if they would allow you to continue.
I've been trying hard! It seems like they are starting to loosen up a bit after I've gone crazy finding solutions to every problem they can think of! Haha

I was lucky. I only grew up with my dad and he basically sacrificed his whole middle age life for me. He was at every field hockey, swim, gymnastics meet. When I rode horses he would pay to ship me off to my over priced horse camp each summer. One time he actually got in trouble for being a SD at a field hockey game because he kept running along the sidelines yelling at the referee. From the time I was 9 until I graduated high school he didn't even go on one date.
My only complaint is when I was 12 I asked specifically for a cocker spaniel and he got me a chocolate lab...still bitter:p

Back