All-Star I Know Alot Of You Like Brooke High ..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

unreal, ive never enjoyed highschool cheer because most of the schools i went to were a HOT MESS but this gave me a glimmer of hope that its maybe not so bad ;) props for the no mats thing too i would be terrified of flying if that were me

I will agree that the high school that I went to and all surrounding high schools were....... not even sure I would call it cheering compared to Brooke. I don't watch high school cheer at all but, I can watch Brooke!!!:)

I fear the day one of the girls from a school in WV gets catastrophically injured due to the lack of mats and it gets nation wide standards put in place by fearfull schools that affect all HS teams.
Get some mats WV.

You guys are insane talented though! It just always bothered me that allstar gyms train these girls and then they hit HS and take all the work the gym has put into their success to their school instead of to who actually trained them...

It's discussed every year that we should get mats but , our only problem is , where do you expect EVERY high school in the state to get the funding to purchase 9 mats to practice on.. I mean , yes they will last a very long time but , we can't just pull funding from nowhere..

It's discussed every year that we should get mats but , our only problem is , where do you expect EVERY high school in the state to get the funding to purchase 9 mats to practice on.. I mean , yes they will last a very long time but , we can't just pull funding from nowhere..

With only 13 people on the floor, i feel yall could pull off only using 7 or even 5 mats.

With only 13 people on the floor, i feel yall could pull off only using 7 or even 5 mats.
if/when we get mats , we are going to be allowed more than 13 to compete.. And at other competitions we hold throughout the year , we are allowed to use allll of the cheerleaders.. it is just regionals and states we are not allowed to have anymore than 13 unless another competition states the same rules.

Michael McGahan said:

Buy 9 mats or suffer a lawsuit because something went wrong on hard floor? Which sounds more appealing now..

Brooke has a history of being a very competitive program within the state of WV!! It seems that no matter what the rules restrict them to they always push the envelope in both skill and creativity!!! They obviously have a qualified coach/ adviser who seems to keep them safe while allowing them to execute skills at a high level! There are schools/ states who don't have the luxury of purchasing mats or the regulations in place for the school's athletic department to be responsible to provide them. However I graduated high school in NC prior to high school cheer becoming as restricted then in college we liked tumbling on the hard wood and loved throwing baskets and quick pyramids on the sidelines during games without having to pull out a big panel of mat!!!! But we had coaches and athletes who were trained and qualified!

Buy 9 mats or suffer a lawsuit because something went wrong on hard floor? Which sounds more appealing now..
again , where do you expect us to get the funding from ? I know that here in Harrison County , we have 6 different high schools and 6 different middle schools. sooo , that's 108 mats at about $500 a piece.. that's $54,000.. it's kinda hard to pull that funding out of nowhere.

again , where do you expect us to get the funding from ? I know that here in Harrison County , we have 6 different high schools and 6 different middle schools. sooo , that's 108 mats at about $500 a piece.. that's $54,000.. it's kinda hard to pull that funding out of nowhere.

Hmmm, to me, the solution is fairly simple. You institute a requirement that mats be used at competition - top-down regulation at its finest. The teams who wish to be competitive will find a way to fund raise to purchase full-size mats. In the interim, these teams can purchase panel mats to practice skills on at a much reduced cost. Then, to further reduce costs, you use fewer mats (7 is really sufficient for most teams) and you share between teams (i.e., the high school and middle school teams share a set of mats and practice at alternate times). I would much prefer that high school teams spend their limited resources on mats than, say, impressive uniforms. Other states require mats... why would WV present a unique problem with respect to funding issues?

Hmmm, to me, the solution is fairly simple. You institute a requirement that mats be used at competition - top-down regulation at its finest. The teams who wish to be competitive will find a way to fund raise to purchase full-size mats. In the interim, these teams can purchase panel mats to practice skills on at a much reduced cost. Then, to further reduce costs, you use fewer mats (7 is really sufficient for most teams) and you share between teams (i.e., the high school and middle school teams share a set of mats and practice at alternate times). I would much prefer that high school teams spend their limited resources on mats than, say, impressive uniforms. Other states require mats... why would WV present a unique problem with respect to funding issues?
we wish it could be just as easy as saying , "you have to have mats , end of story." and I know you think "funding " is an excuse but , honestly , how do you expect 12 different schools to raise that amount of money in the same county ? (or even 6 pairs of teams if you combine HS and MS) and honestly , we would more than likely need all 9 mats. 1.) we are used to it from allstars. 2.) most high school teams around here average about 18 athletes. and 3.) we're already used to a full basketball court and we use alllll of it so , using only 7 mats would majorly limit us.

Back