All-Star I Know Alot Of You Like Brooke High ..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

oh and thanks everyone for the compliments :)
all of us can agree mats would be nice, but we've all been cheering on wood floor since we first started when we were little.. I guess we're all just sorta used to it by now. it doesn't bother us much cause we just have to deal with it lol

And as for the team, great job! The skills did seem a little redundant and you could tell they were capable of higher level skills. I'd love to see them on a mat too! The floor was a big distraction for me!

cupieqt said:
And as for the team, great job! The skills did seem a little redundant and you could tell they were capable of higher level everything. I'd love to see them on a mat too! The floor was a big distraction for me!
Edited

moreoverthree said:
My HS has 3 matts.. We make it work.

That would be tough! I know how difficult it can be to work with so few Matt's. If you don't have enough Matt's the energy of the routine isn't the same. Then again, if you have 9 Matt's then there could be Alot of drama.

Definitely Alot of confusion in any case!

Oh trust me , we wish the same exact thing. people always down us as west virgians just bc of stereotypes but ,the truth is , we truly have amazing cheerleading programs.
West Virginia pound for pound, can go up against anyone in the country!!!!!! Although i live in NOrth Carolina now, I grew up in WV!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fro:

I think you might be misunderstanding me. My point about foregoing the clothing, etc? The money for that comes from somewhere. If it were required that schools use mats, they could require cheerleaders to pay an "equipment fee" to cover those costs rather than requiring the extra clothing/bags/etc. The money is there, if you're willing to creatively look for it.

And as for hard floor being as safe as mats, since you are "born and raised with it in school cheerleading"? Interesting theory. There are several threads discussing this point. Bottom line? No. Just... no. There is a reason that certain skills are prohibited on hard floors. There's a whole spectrum of risk involved with cheerleading, but competing on hard floors is just a huge step too far in the risky direction for me, when I think solutions that would make the sport/"athletic activity" safer exist and are relatively accessible.
WV doesn't require them to have mats, it was pushed into play about 5 years ago, but it never went thru, as alot of the schools in WV didn't have the extra money to purchase them...So it is left up to each school district if they want them or not.. and most do not! Prior to about a few years ago maybe 5-10 years depending on each state, no one had mats of any kind, most had wrestling mats...From someone who has been involved in cheer since the early to mid 80's, i talk to alot of the people that i coached then, and their knees are no better or worse than someone who tumbled on spring floors, the injuries are still there!!! Brooke HS has been the Dominating HS in the state of WV in cheerleading, and they have always been on the wood floors, and it hasn't seemed to affect them at all! Had WV been allowed to compete out of state, they really could have given all of the top teams in the country a run for their money, and the National championships that have been won by some of the Great school teams that are talked about, could have easily been brought back to West Virginia!!!! Go Brooke High School!!! Cheers from Carolina, and a born and bred kid from West Virginia!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fro:

Back