I Need Advise

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CookieMom

Cheer Parent
Mar 17, 2011
I am a new cheer mom, this is my daughter's second year cheering. Her first year we went with a local- first year gym and there were sooo many problems that we ended up leaving at the end of the season. A season that only consisted of about 3 or 4 competitions at the end of the season because the gym had a very hard time pulling things together.
This year we went with a more established local gym and lo and behold this gym experienced some hardships this year. The parents of the kids who have been there for years have not paid competition fees so out of the 7 competitions that I have paid for, we have only gone to 3. The owners are saying there will be no more competitions until the fees are paid. They also say they are putting things into place to avoid these issues next year. They also say we may go to more competitions in April if the other parents pay.
My delimma is should I stay or leave? I hate to be a gym hopper, but my daughter loves all star cheerleading and I make sure all of her fees are paid ON TIME. I even invest in private tumbling lessons. Everytime a competition is canceled she is so disappointed that it hurts my heart. She started last year with no experience and this year she is doing level 3 tumbling, so she loves it and practices very hard.

I feel like you should talk to your daughter about this. Does she really love this gym/the people at it, and does that outweigh the fact that she isn't getting to go to competitions? I feel like it's ok to be a gym hopper if you're doing whats best for your child. Those sound like really serious problems. Here are some things to ask yourself:
1. Are their other gyms in the area that will offer a better experience. When you check a new gym, ask to speak to the owner personally. Tell them about your concerns and ask to see an info packet explaining policies.
2. Is going to a big gym worth it. It sounds like right now you're dealing with small local gyms, which is ok. But sometimes to get really strict policies and guarantees, you have to go to a little bit of a bigger gym. I don't know if one exists in your area, but if it does it worth a shot. On the other hand you have to ask yourself, bigger gym means less personal attention to each child.
3. Is your daughter going to have a problem being the new girl? Is she comfortable and happy where she is now. If yes I say give it another season, or see what happens over the summer. But, it's important to finish the season at least. Its just hard to guess how the owners are going to handle this.

Thank you for responding with such great advice. I did talk to my daughter and while she said she wants to think about, she says she is leaning toward moving to another gym because she misses competing. I am leaning toward a larger gym because the "family/friend" environment is a hinderance to getting things done. She usually does well with people so I'm sure she will be O.K. Thanks again!

There is so much value in a well run gym. I'm currently at a gym with strict policies and I wouldn't have it any other way (weve done the other way and it was beyond frustrating)
There are never last minute changes, there is always great attendance, we always know what to expect. I wouldn't trade that for anything. For as much time and money you invest in all stars, it should be expected. I'd say check out some other places! Good luck

I feel like you should talk to your daughter about this. Does she really love this gym/the people at it, and does that outweigh the fact that she isn't getting to go to competitions? I feel like it's ok to be a gym hopper if you're doing whats best for your child. Those sound like really serious problems. Here are some things to ask yourself:
1. Are their other gyms in the area that will offer a better experience. When you check a new gym, ask to speak to the owner personally. Tell them about your concerns and ask to see an info packet explaining policies.
2. Is going to a big gym worth it. It sounds like right now you're dealing with small local gyms, which is ok. But sometimes to get really strict policies and guarantees, you have to go to a little bit of a bigger gym. I don't know if one exists in your area, but if it does it worth a shot. On the other hand you have to ask yourself, bigger gym means less personal attention to each child.
3. Is your daughter going to have a problem being the new girl? Is she comfortable and happy where she is now. If yes I say give it another season, or see what happens over the summer. But, it's important to finish the season at least. Its just hard to guess how the owners are going to handle this.

I don't know about other programs but i know that my old gym didnt really give that much personal attention and the gym that I am at now gives each child alot of personal attention. but i dont know how other gyms do things so i can only speak well for my team .

Back