All-Star I Need Some Advice?!?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 10, 2013
Two years ago, I competed on an all girl L5 team at one of the largest gyms in my state. Their co-ed team went to Worlds and we didn't then when I left they both went. This year, I'm at a gym whose all-star program has started this year and nobody really tries or is dedicated to the team. Like, while I was tumbling for half an hour, the rest of the team was laying on a mat and talking to one of the coaches. I'm working double fulls, everyone else is working tucks. The coach said that where we are at the end of the summer will determine what level we compete. Right now, I'm pretty sure we'll be level 3 or 4 (depending on how stunting goes). My ultimate goal is to go to Worlds before I age out because there's no level 6 teams close to me I could compete on later. Should I move back to my old gym or stay where I'm at? I don't want to screw my team over now but they're kind of screwing me over already by not giving an effort? Please help?! :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Why did you leave your old gym? It must have been a pretty compelling reason since you were leaving a well established gym with level appropriate teams for an upstart gym which almost surely would not have a Worlds team their first year out... I agree, it doesn't sound like your new gym is a good fit, but whatever caused you to leave your old gym probably won't be any different now, KWIM?

Why did you leave your old gym? It must have been a pretty compelling reason since you were leaving a well established gym with level appropriate teams for an upstart gym which almost surely would not have a Worlds team their first year out... I agree, it doesn't sound like your new gym is a good fit, but whatever caused you to leave your old gym probably won't be any different now, KWIM?
I was actually leaving with the intention of moving to a different state (I probably should have included that!) But when we came back, tryouts were finished and they had already learned choreography so I took a year off from cheering. But at this new gym we spend about an hour on heavy conditioning while only 15 minutes was spent conditioning at my old gym. I'm really caught in between!

I was actually leaving with the intention of moving to a different state (I probably should have included that!) But when we came back, tryouts were finished and they had already learned choreography so I took a year off from cheering. But at this new gym we spend about an hour on heavy conditioning while only 15 minutes was spent conditioning at my old gym. I'm really caught in between!

Ok, so why did you not choose to go back to your old gym this year? There must have been a reason you didn't want to return...

While conditioning is important, it's something you can do at home on your own. No amount of conditioning will make a team good if the members and coaches lay around chatting instead of working.

Ok, so why did you not choose to go back to your old gym this year? There must have been a reason you didn't want to return...

There really wasn't a reason. I wasn't planning to cheer again this year. The small gym I'm at now offers open gym so I go there just to tumble around and the coach asked me to join their new team.

Oh, I see. :) Well, since you weren't planning to cheer anyway, you're not really giving anything up by staying at your current gym. That being the case, I think you should keep your commitment you made to the new gym. Keep setting a good example of work ethic and hopefully the others will catch on.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I think if the new gym isn't giving you what you need to develop as an athlete, then you should consider going back to your old gym. At least it's early enough in the season that it won't be a devastating blow. Talk to both gyms. See if your old gym even has any spots, then sit in a practice. Just be mature in regards to the situation - don't talk poorly about either gym, and present your case in a way that doesn't place any blame. There will probably be drama with some of the old team mates if you leave, but it won't be as important down the road so just keep looking forward.

all i know is that if i were you, i wouldn't be willing to be on a level 3/4 team with a double. that will be really frustrating and quite honestly a waste of your talent. if theres room at your old gym, id be going there in a heartbeat. you deserve to be on a level appropriate team that will push you instead of restricting your skills. nothing against the current gym, i just dont think they have the program to help you develop properly (from what you've told us)

I think you need to do what you can to achieve your worlds dream. You sound like you definitely have the talent and obviously the desire so you need to be in a program that will help you realize your dream and it doesn't seem like your current gym is that program!

Back