OT I Need Your Assistance With This Survey!! Please Help :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jan 20, 2010
Hi everyone!

I'm doing a paper for a public relations class.

Without going into detail or pushing my agenda on anyone else, I will ask this in a completely unbiased way.

As well know, most life insurance policies require a higher premium from smokers.
Do you think healthcare premiums should also be higher for smokers than non-smokers?

Why or why not?

Your responses are GREATLY appreciated!!!

yes, I'm guessing there is research to show that people who choose to smoke need more healthcare. and it is also one more reason to not smoke.

but then you could get into charging all sorts of people more based on what they are doing- Charge cheerleaders more, charge any athlete more, charge people who work in hazardous careers more. That would be a bit ridiculous.

But with smoking it is a none health hazard with no real benefit

Yes as it'd be unfair for someone who is more likely to recquire more healthcare through a personal lifestyle choice to pay the same as someone who chooses a healthier lifestyle choice, and therefore is less likely to require as much healthcare. It may also act as a deterrent to smoking and encourage people to quit by giving them more of an incentive.

Yes since smoking is a choice someone consciously makes, knowing the health risks it poses. Since you're asking about LIFE insurance and not HEALTH insurance, I'm guessing that additional healthcare costs would not be a factor. I'll say that there are studies that show that smokers do in fact statistically die earlier than non smokers. Therefore the insurance company has a greater chance of having to pay out a larger amount to the beneficiary.

Also this higher premium does not just apply to smokers, it's applied to anyone at a higher risk of dying earlier - overweight people, people with higher blood pressure, etc.

Healthcare costs don't factor into life insurance premiums, so the argument that people like cheerleaders should have to pay more doesn't really work.

Yes since smoking is a choice someone consciously makes, knowing the health risks it poses. Since you're asking about LIFE insurance and not HEALTH insurance, I'm guessing that additional healthcare costs would not be a factor. I'll say that there are studies that show that smokers do in fact statistically die earlier than non smokers. Therefore the insurance company has a greater chance of having to pay out a larger amount to the beneficiary.

Also this higher premium does not just apply to smokers, it's applied to anyone at a higher risk of dying earlier - overweight people, people with higher blood pressure, etc.

Healthcare costs don't factor into life insurance premiums, so the argument that people like cheerleaders should have to pay more doesn't really work.
Actually the question was in regards to health insurance. We already know the premiums are higher for smokers for Life insurance. But for health insurance it's the same across the board. The argument is, is that fair for non-smokers?

As an employee of a major healhcare provider on the east coast, I am privelage to a great deal of incentives and great insurance (not the best but not the worst either considering my position) We have an advantage program that allows us the option to be screened every 6 months. If we fall in a range of 2 or higher, our premium is higher for the next six months. we are required to undergo counseling for those risks (obesity, high sugar, cholesterol, etc) if we improve by our next 6 month screening then we can have a decrease in premium. If we do not then the counseling continues. I was lucky to fall at 1 (high cholesterol) so i am not required to do any counseling. I can if i choose at no additional cost.

So for smokers and non smokers with 0 - 1 risk, we have the same premium. i don't see how that's fair. i don't drink, i don't smoke, i don't do drug. So why should i have to pay the same amount as someone who CHOOSES to do damage to their body and drive up the cost of healthcare?

Of course this is my opinion. I want others who may not agree with this as part of my argument piece.

Hahaha sorry. I just skimmed it. I'll re-answer when I'm not on my phone tonight. Disregard my answer. Lol I'd put the little embarrassed face but my phone can't!

Back