All-Star Ice Buying Out Speed Athletics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My biggest problem is that slowly the name means less and less. I hear it now with some other gyms. "You're from XYZ? Which one". Names one other than main. "Oh"
Plus as you expand its very difficult to keep the culture of the parent company intact.

This I agree with. On the other hand, I'm not always gung-ho on the parent company's culture, and if Sally's Allstars couldn't keep the doors open as Sally's and now needs to be Susie's, with the same staff/management, I'm OK with that.

This I agree with. On the other hand, I'm not always gung-ho on the parent company's culture, and if Sally's Allstars couldn't keep the doors open as Sally's and now needs to be Susie's, with the same staff/management, I'm OK with that.
But if the same staff/management is still there, won't the problems with Sally's Allstars still exist? I'm NOT saying that Speed has problems. Just asking more of a general question.

But if the same staff/management is still there, won't the problems with Sally's Allstars still exist? I'm NOT saying that Speed has problems. Just asking more of a general question.

I'm thinking more in terms of Sally's not staying open because:

1. Sally herself may be an amazing coach, but doesn't really have a head for business,
2. Sally's is a small program which just can't compete with Suzie's mega-gym.

In either case, the staff could easily stay the same, the athletes could still train well, only the name and maybe some financial practices may change.

Yes to this. I know of a gym who became "big name gym" without changing ownership. They are giving "big name gym" a bad rap for their complete disregard for customer service. Phone calls and emails not returned for people looking for team and class information, etc. I will never understand why big gyms allow this. The extra money you gain from letting a bad program use your name isn't worth allowing the bad program to ruin your reputation.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

Yes to this. I know of a gym who became "big name gym" without changing ownership. They are giving "big name gym" a bad rap for their complete disregard for customer service. Phone calls and emails not returned for people looking for team and class information, etc. I will never understand why big gyms allow this. The extra money you gain from letting a bad program use your name isn't worth allowing the bad program to ruin your reputation.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

But the name is probably only being bashed in a relatively small area. Harkens back to the previous comment about Big-Name Satellite gym being no big whoop. Big-Name probably gets paid quite nicely, regardless how Satellite responds to customers.

I think depending on the situation the coaches stay the same. Sometimes you have new owners that come in with their own coaching staff. Out with the old, in with the new. I'm not going to lie, I hate seeing gyms close or change names. Like I'm still sad Orlando Allstars, Premier TN, and Maryland Marlins are done. And those are just a few of the top of my head.

*cries hysterically*

This! This is exactly what has happened with CP's gym. We became one small location of a big name gym this past year. The "Mother" location is tremendous, the coaches are phenomenal and there are teams for all ages and skills. I truly believe our small "Sally" gym would have closed soon had "Suzie" not come in to the picture. Suzie in our case is amazing and well respected and it is obvious she and her staff love the sport and the kids. Many people stuck around because we were very excited for the changes and the hopes of additional coaches and the changes to the program. (Side note, although the parents had been very frustrated with Sally's gym, most of us have stuck around because our CP's have been together at Sally's since Mini's and they truly have become like family, but most of us were looking into to changing gyms.)

Well fast forwarad a year later and while there have been some great changes, for the most part it feels like the only change has been in the uniform because Sally is still running the location. With Sally running the location all of the same problems are still there. Suzie has to send coaches from the Mother gym to fix the things the same old coaches and Sally's can't - and fix the problems that they cause. Suzie did try to hire more/new coaches for our location, but I believe while coaches would love to work for Suzie, they don't want to work at our location until it is more established. I think also that any good coaches in the area know that Sally is still running the location and who wants to work for/with someone who obviously couldn't run things properly in the first place!

There have been SO many athletes leave this year - even since November and our first competition. With so many people leaving CP's team has had about 3 practices before each competition to rework a routine. Then to top it all off when we do compete - our teams have ended up competing against the same level teams from Suzie's location. Thankfully the other Suzie locations are too far away to end up competing against them too!

Ugh, I could go on and on but suffice to say, my opinion is that the Suzie's of the cheer world need to make the Sally's take a back seat in running a gym in their name.

Thanks for letting me vent and get that off my chest!:p

My biggest problem is that slowly the name means less and less. I hear it now with some other gyms. "You're from XYZ? Which one". Names one other than main. "Oh"
Plus as you expand its very difficult to keep the culture of the parent company intact.

This. I feel like it dilutes the brand when it gets past a certain point. The key to doing it I would feel is keeping the original staff on board and bought in to the new owners philosophy which is not always easy to do. While the industry likes to focus on winning, there are numerous other things that have to be in place to create a sustainable gym. Employees on board with the changes and style differences is one of the major things.

This is definitely one approach to ensure there is no local competition---why have competition then you can buy it all up?

Back