All-Star Icu Worlds 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was under the impression before today that the paracheer division (like the Paralympics) was physical disabilities while special needs cheer division (like the Special Olympics) was for mental/developmental disabilities.

Maybe Team Costa Rica's coaches misunderstood the difference because of a language/translation thing? Because USASF has a special needs division already, as does the special olympics.
I thought that paracheer was an attempt to create a cheer division that could one day be a Paralympic sport, hence why it is at ICU as opposed to something else since ICU is fighting to make an olympic sport of cheerleading.

From what I know, athletes with intellectual disabilities competes in the paralympics again. :) Since like 2012(?), they just categorize them as any other disability so they compete at a somewhat equal level. :)

From what I know, athletes with intellectual disabilities competes in the paralympics again. :) Since like 2012(?), they just categorize them as any other disability so they compete at a somewhat equal level. :)

I thought ID was removed after the spanish basketball team scandal thing?

I thought ID was removed after the spanish basketball team scandal thing?
It was, but then they brought it back in 2012! :D They got a new classification system I think in 2009, which made it possible to allow them back in para! It's not in every sport yet though, but a few. :)

It was, but then they brought it back in 2012! :D They got a new classification system I think in 2009, which made it possible to allow them back in para! It's not in every sport yet though, but a few. :)

Oh! I didn't realize :)
What's the difference between the athletes in the special olympics and ID paralympians?

I'm totally not keeping up with this thread, but can I just say that seeing all of these teams hit proper handstands in their partner stunts before flipping up is such a breath of fresh air. I've only seen 1 non inverted handstand so far

Oh! I didn't realize :)
What's the difference between the athletes in the special olympics and ID paralympians?

Good question, I know for paralympics one of the criteria is an IQ below 75. I'm not too familiar with special olympics, so don't quote me on this, but from my understanding anyone with for example autism spectrum disorder is qualified (so including high functioning highly intelligent).

I have never seen side-sumi baskets competed before and I've seen them a lot today. They are easily one of my favorite things and I'm hoping to see more of them.

My heart broke. I'm really hoping Sweden coed will move on so they can redeem themselves! These are a lot of like level 2/3 athletes and they've come so far from so little, I just wanted them to have a hit. Still super proud of how far they've come!

I'm so nervous for Canada coed. Almost half our coaching staff is on that team and I'm nervous and excited and a million other things right now! I just want a hit!!!!

Back