All-Star Idea For How To Score Better

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To put out comprehensive divisional scores in all areas invites a dialogue between the staffs and EPs/ judges that should go a long ways towards improving the accuracy of scores. I really like the history of the rapid score announcement by NCA, but I think if that has to go by the wayside to some extent to allow more accurate evaluation of tape evidence, it will be a plus in the long run. The way to implement it as discussed makes good sense. Yes, props to NCA, great competition.

I hope we can find a way to bring back that element of creativity and excitement... I miss that. There is nothing more that I'd love to see than an innovative level 5 jump sequence... Something more than just squeezing in some variation of jumps and jumps to back because it's on the scoresheet. I feel like we're losing that element of surprise and innovation...

So... it would for example work like this-

difficulty video review judge thinks the pyramid is a 9.7 and the performance/execution judge has a -.5 to .5 range to work with and decides that it was amazingly executed and gives a .4 another thought it was perfect and gave a .5 and the other thought it was pretty good and wanted to leave room to score higher because the next team up is known for flawless execution so they gave a .3

so the 3 pyramid scores would be 10.1, 10.2 and 10.0 for an average of 10.1

That could be done for each skill section

Then just judge the rest on a 10pt scale

you can weight different divisions ie 9 is the max difficulty for 4, 8 for 3, 7 for 2, 6 for 1

you are getting the live action judging of execution and performance and overall impression etc and the skill based accuracy for difficulty with the video review, which I think would make a script unnecessary

I hope we can find a way to bring back that element of creativity and excitement... I miss that. There is nothing more that I'd love to see than an innovative level 5 jump sequence... Something more than just squeezing in some variation of jumps and jumps to back because it's on the scoresheet. I feel like we're losing that element of surprise and innovation...
I watch old Top Gun routines and I am like wow...they could reuse half that stuff and most people would have never seen it before. I feel like routines are section, section, section these days but I guess thats what you get when your trying to cram so much difficulty and skills into 2 and 1/5 minutes.

BlueCat cheer athletics' routines this weekend gave me that WOW factor for sure this weekend! I got chills.

Sometimes I think innovative choreography is hard because so much has already been done. Props to the gyms and teams that are still coming up with new ways to make our jaws drop!!

Am I the only who ever thought maybe, just maybe there should be a judge for every panel of the floor? Plus the few others to get the full view, but Idk, maybe if they can get that many judges... just to make sure they catch everything for that panel.. ?

I probably do not make any sense right now so I'm sorry, I'm tired. Probably shouldn't even post...

What if the judges were given a sheet with a rundown of the routine and each element, in order. This way they know what is coming and may be able to focus on execution. I believe this is done in gymnastics and ice skating. I may be wrong and it is just a thought.

Just trying to think as the Devil's advocate here... if judges have a sheet of what should be coming, would it be possible for them to see something that didn't actually happen, simply because the sheet said it should have? If that makes any sense..

Yes, but it would be minor. Just enough to keep people from intentionally lying.

But what would be the benefit of intentionally lying? I guess I don't understand the point of basically deducting a team multiple times for a single missed skill - for example, a tumbling pass is supposed to be, say, a full double. The athlete busts - throws a cray-cray full and lands on her hands and knees. There's already going to be a deduction for the tumbling bust, and execution will be affected, now we're going to throw an additional "deviating from the script" deduction? Same thing for any time a stunt or pyramid fails to hit - you'd get the regular deductions plus this deviation deduction. It just kind of seems... I don't know. It doesn't sit well with me. I'd love to know why a coach would intentionally submit a false routine (when there will be a judge reviewing it on video), and why you think it is necessary that this be discouraged, because the reasoning escapes me (and I'm the first to admit that I could easily be missing an obvious reason, lol).

But what would be the benefit of intentionally lying? I guess I don't understand the point of basically deducting a team multiple times for a single missed skill - for example, a tumbling pass is supposed to be, say, a full double. The athlete busts - throws a cray-cray full and lands on her hands and knees. There's already going to be a deduction for the tumbling bust, and execution will be affected, now we're going to throw an additional "deviating from the script" deduction? Same thing for any time a stunt or pyramid fails to hit - you'd get the regular deductions plus this deviation deduction. It just kind of seems... I don't know. It doesn't sit well with me. I'd love to know why a coach would intentionally submit a false routine (when there will be a judge reviewing it on video), and why you think it is necessary that this be discouraged, because the reasoning escapes me (and I'm the first to admit that I could easily be missing an obvious reason, lol).

In my hypothetical system, an obvious mistake or fall would just get the regular deduction, not multiple deductions. The penalty for going "off-script" would be there to keep someone from putting down more skills than they really do, hoping the difficulty judge doesn't realize that there were only 12 fulls in a big group rather than 15.

Just throwing the idea out there as a suggestion.

Am I the only who ever thought maybe, just maybe there should be a judge for every panel of the floor? Plus the few others to get the full view, but Idk, maybe if they can get that many judges... just to make sure they catch everything for that panel.. ?

I probably do not make any sense right now so I'm sorry, I'm tired. Probably shouldn't even post...
I was literally just thinking this, this past weekend. Makes total sense. Probably very unrealistic to get that many judges though. Maybe just break the floor into 3 or 4 sections?

I was literally just thinking this, this past weekend. Makes total sense. Probably very unrealistic to get that many judges though. Maybe just break the floor into 3 or 4 sections?
..I know we don't like to compare to them, but in the Olympics for gymnastics, there are what, 6 judges for ONE event with ONE girl per routine? And even THEY get things 'wrong' on occasion..

I am all for separate judges for difficulty and execution, the video review is the part I'm not sure of.

I second this, and support BlueCats idea of submitting a list of skill elements, in order, prior to performance. Then have a skills judge compare, the team should then get deductions if they stray from the scripted routine.

Didn't Cheersport do video judging almost exalty like this 5 years back? I remember it taking forever to get results, and because of that they only did it the one year.

In gymnastics and trampolining each athlete has to turn in, ahead of time, a tariff sheet. This lists the skills along with the tariff for each one so that they can get a degree of difficulty. This does not mean you have to stick to what is written on the sheet because there are two safeguarding measures put in place. One is a tariff judge whose sole focus is to watch the routine and check to see what skills are being performed. The other is the athlete and coach themselves, they have to go and declare any routine changes that were made mid routine. I like the ideas floated so far, couldn't cheer incorporate this in some way? It would probably have to be via video but more of 'they have ten tucks - check', '3 pike baskets - check', '5 jumps to tuck - check'. It would mean a bit of self regulation by the coach but penalties are severe in the gymnastics/trampolining world and anyone caught not declaring anything, well lets just say it rarely happens as they don't want to suffer the consequences.

Back