All-Star Idea: Multi Location Gyms Must Have Different Colors At Each Gym Location

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So I took a hint from an earlier poster to vet my own opinion and asked @9PanelDiva at lunch (she's on here but never ON here if you know what I mean).

I just read the original post and asked what she thought. Nothing more.

She completely echoed every last thing I've already said and in some cases the same way I said it.

I'm actually a bit scared by this.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

To me there are two separate concepts here.

1. Should multi-gym programs differentiate their teams from one another by having different uniform colors for each gym?
2. Should USASF make a rule to that effect?

For what it is worth, I think that such a rule would be virtually impossible to enforce. (What % of the uniform has to be a different color? How different do the colors need to be? What if the teams never compete at the same event? What is the penalty for too much of color X in Gym X's uniform? . . . )

The pragmatist in me already says they dictate how you run your private business. The difference is you chose to follow the rules set by the USASF to participate in their events. So no one is forcing you anymore than you are already being forced. It is a weak argument.

And all problems must be looked at on a 4-5 timeline to happen. It will probably really upset you to know that there will most likely just be one size team in about 4-5 years as well. Either 20 or 24.

I generally hate the "slippery slope" argument, but I think it applies here. Bureaucracies like USASF will continue to grab and consolidate power as long as people let them. There are legitimate reasons and functions for a body like the USASF. However, that doesn't mean we should let them exert control over every part of the industry.

At minimum, make them get the stuff they are already supposed to be in charge of right before they start debating over what color uniforms a kid should be allowed to wear.

When I cheered at Cheergyms.com we actually did that. 2 gyms & a level 5 program. Pyramids, the main gym was yellow, red, & black. Motions, was maroon, black & silver. & All American Team (level 5's) were red, white & blue. Yet the two gyms (not 5's) had the exact same uniform, just different colors.

I haven't heard a good enough reason yet (from a USASF perspective) to agree to such a rule.

The reasons given so far sound like business decisions (how to best represent one's brand) or EP wishes (if the reason is to make it "easier" for multi gym programs to compete against one another.)

story of my life right here

Lol, that's because you were on the opposing team!

This is such an interesting thread for me for obvious reason's. LOL
I think you just made Acedad's, 12step's, HAT and Bluecat's point here. At the end of the day it isn't good for your "Brand" (or our Brand, or CA's Brand or ACE's brand) to be even more separated by uniform color choices. Even if it makes you feel better about competing against your sister/cousin. If it's what your gym owner chooses to do because they think it's good for business then rock out..implement it and use it as a positive selling point to both your locations. But, I'm against the USASF telling us or CA or Cali or Ace or WC or Md Twisters what we have to do with our multiple location "Brand's".

I'm finding this a little humorous only because the ones that are stating separate colors would create divide and/or separation are the same gyms that have different uniforms for certain teams. I'm looking at this from a totally different perspective. I don't go to gym A because of the colors or uniforms they wear, I go to gym A because of the coaching, technique and safety. If our gym then opens gym B, I am assuming parents choose to go to gym B for the same reason. I am looking at this purely from an EP, judge, and support staff perspective, it makes life easier for them when gym A and B are in the same division. This is going to be more of an issue as gyms continue to grow.

@garretttt would probably agree our teams had the utmost respect for each other, it just presented an awkward cheering situation for the team and parents. Cp would rather compete against them, however, than be told we can no longer go to a competition because gym B now gets to compete there instead. I can see how a different color would not only make it easier for event staff, but it would also give teams in those situations a sense of separate identity when going up against each other and sitting in awards.

@garretttt would probably agree our teams had the utmost respect for each other, it just presented an awkward cheering situation for the team and parents. Cp would rather compete against them, however, than be told we can no longer go to a competition because gym B now gets to compete there instead. I can see how a different color would not only make it easier for event staff, but it would also give teams in those situations a sense of separate identity when going up against each other and sitting in awards.

agreed. we all got along, but there was no doubt about that awkardness especially during nationals season. i like the idea of the different colors or if not different colors, different uniforms. but then i do agree with the whole brand thing. but i believe your brand speaks more of what your put out on the floor more than what you wear.

I'm finding this a little humorous only because the ones that are stating separate colors would create divide and/or separation are the same gyms that have different uniforms for certain teams. I'm looking at this from a totally different perspective. I don't go to gym A because of the colors or uniforms they wear, I go to gym A because of the coaching, technique and safety. If our gym then opens gym B, I am assuming parents choose to go to gym B for the same reason. I am looking at this purely from an EP, judge, and support staff perspective, it makes life easier for them when gym A and B are in the same division. This is going to be more of an issue as gyms continue to grow.

I don't have an issue with different uniforms for different teams (I hope not since I have two kids on three teams and own four uniforms...)

I have an issue if they're all not allowed to be teal, black and white.

We had separate locations, in the same uniform, competing against each other today. It happens quite a bit. I'm not aware it caused/causes any drama between them. We've been in a division where two ACE teams went against each other. I even think there maybe been a CAC team today (or two) from different locations that competed against each other (could be wrong there were a lot of CAC teams there). I just haven't noticed that it was a big thing.

Is the NCA Classic the first time separate locations from the Rays went head to head? Just wondering if that's what prompted this discussion.

I don't have an issue with different uniforms for different teams (I hope not since I have two kids on three teams and own four uniforms...)

I have an issue if they're all not allowed to be teal, black and white.

We had separate locations, in the same uniform, competing against each other today. It happens quite a bit. I'm not aware it caused/causes any drama between them. We've been in a division where two ACE teams went against each other. I even think there maybe been a CAC team today (or two) from different locations that competed against each other (could be wrong there were a lot of CAC teams there). I just haven't noticed that it was a big thing.

Is the NCA Classic the first time separate locations from the Rays went head to head? Just wondering if that's what prompted this discussion.

Yes. Our teams only go head to head(most are separated in a/b at cheersport) 3 times(4 if summit)

No, last year they were at every comp together with the exception of one. There were times when the teams would be separated by division I and II, however, cp's team went up against their sister team in every comp last year with the exception of the one.

This year NCA Classic was the first time the two gyms competed against each other, but they will be at Cheersport and NCA Dallas together.

I guess because of going through it last year I can see some benefits to this both from an EP's perspective and the athletes. However, I tend to identify the gym brand more by their logo, name, teams vs their colors. Yes, even my Teal Army friends, I notice the "X" before I notice the teal accent on your uniform, but I will concede I may be the exception to the rule.

My advice from someone who has competed against our own teams for quite a few years is to just embrace it and make the best of the situation. If your child's particular team has an off day or performance then why wouldn't you want your sister gym to do well and get that 1st place? Or vice versa.......your sister gym has an off performance then they should be rallying behind main gym hoping they'll pull off a win for the program. Because teams are made up of kids 1 day you're team will be the one that makes no mistakes and takes the win and 1 day their team will be the one who makes no mistakes and takes the win. In both instances, Rays' still win. I'm sorry that I just don't see a negative in that scenario.

As far as our gym having separate uniforms for different teams, that is a decision made by CSP. She thinks it's a great idea and implemented it with her level 5 teams. She can do that because she's the boss and we do what she tell's us to do. LOL USASF shouldn't be in the business (and this color thing shouldn't even be on their radar without a lot of other much more important things changing first.....) Again, just my humble opinion.

No, last year they were at every comp together with the exception of one. There were times when the teams would be separated by division I and II, however, cp's team went up against their sister team in every comp last year with the exception of the one.

This year NCA Classic was the first time the two gyms competed against each other, but they will be at Cheersport and NCA Dallas together.

I guess because of going through it last year I can see some benefits to this both from an EP's perspective and the athletes. However, I tend to identify the gym brand more by their logo, name, teams vs their colors. Yes, even my Teal Army friends, I notice the "X" before I notice the teal accent on your uniform, but I will concede I may be the exception to the rule.

Apologies if the Teal Army has spoken out of turn, but our gym was used as an example so.......

Maybe I'm the one who's expecting too much of people to support the teams of the gym even if you're against them. Coed, SSX and SE were head to head at The Major's. Did I want SE to win? Of course I did!! But did that keep me from cheering for Coed Elite like I had a child on that team? Nope. Did I cheer for SSX like my child was on their team? Yep. I also cheered the same for SE..... And I'm hoping the rest of our teal parent's did the same thing!!

I'm willing to consider that maybe I'm the only one who cheer's for everyone!! LMAO

Maybe I'm the one who's expecting too much of people to support the teams of the gym even if you're against them. Coed, SSX and SE were head to head at The Major's. Did I want SE to win? Of course I did!! But did that keep me from cheering for Coed Elite like I had a child on that team? Nope. Did I cheer for SSX like my child was on their team? Yep. I also cheered the same for SE..... And I'm hoping the rest of our teal parent's did the same thing!!

I'm willing to consider that maybe I'm the only one who cheer's for everyone!! LMAO

To me this isn't about cheering teams on, this is about being able to identify one team from another when they compete against each other. Your CEA identifies your gym first, your "X" or logo second, and then lastly, your color. For example, if you were to paint all of the McDonald golden arches "teal", I would still be able to identify it as McDonald's by their arches. If you put up a "golden" triangle instead, I've lost the ability to identify McDonald's. In other words, your gym logo trumps your gym's color when it comes to down to identification, so your brand is not lost in the process.

Pink and Obsidian athletes and parents cheered each other on and handled competing against each other very well, but again, there were times where it became awkward. The two teams were the same size, wore the exact same uniform, different bows, however, there were times when they competed back to back and people were cheering "Go Pink" or "Go Obsidian" when it was the opposite team on the floor. Teams, parents, friends didn't do this to be rude, it was just an honest mistake. I can think of two events where they announced a placement and began walking toward the wrong team at awards. And most important, if schedule timing is off or they switch the order of teams, I can see how this could be an issue with accidently judging the wrong team. I know I don't take the popular stance, but I do see how this could be very beneficial.

Last edited:
Apologies if the Teal Army has spoken out of turn, but our gym was used as an example so.......
I'm personally a big fan of your gym and only used your gym as an example because you call yourselves the "Teal Army" and so I can see how a gym that identifies itself with a color, would have a harder time with this rule.

Latest posts

Back