All-Star Ill Answer Stretching/tumbling Questions Here!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 29, 2013
I know a lot of people who just have questions about stretching/jumps/tumbling and I'm here to help! Ask anything and everything below and if you feel like you have good advice feel free to give it! ❤

What's a good stretch for scorpions?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
I like to have a partner stretch my shoulders by going in a back bend and having them pull your shoulders over your hands or sitting on your knees and they reach behind your shoulders and roll their hips forward stretching your shoulders, if that made sense, and then the typical splits in a door way. Or you can do your scorpion facing a wall and try to touch your foot to the wall that helps a lot too ❤

What's a good stretch for scorpions?

Hug stretch, floor stretch (you're on your stomach, partner pushes leg up and towards shoulders) also remember strength and conditioning is a huge part of having good body positions/ being relaxed in the air. Combine different types of static/ dynamic stretches to achieve this- lifts, kicks, holds, & resistance holds.

Also I've been having my junior 5 ladies do "shoulder flicks" off a wall to stretch their shoulders (primarily for kick scorpions). They place their feet 3-5 feet away from the wall and lean into it with their arms fully extended in a candlestick motion, and flick hard off the wall. Their elbows should go past their ears.

My toetouches are a little bit over 90°, how do I get them even higher?
@ashleigh condition and stretch. When I was an athlete I would push myself to stretch 3 times as much as I conditioned, and the results were beneficial. For toe touches specifically, you want to stretch a narrow straddle (where you start in a pike, then open your feet to make a tight v. This stretch should feel different than a wide straddle). Plyometrics, core strength, and hip flexors are your primary concerns. So frog jumps, v-ups, straddle ups, hollow body holds, hard kicks, resistance holds and lifts all help. Combine static (where you are sitting there stretching) and dynamic stretching (where you are actively up and moving ie hard kicks). A lot of people sit on the ground and do leg lifts, or roll their hips back, this might be fairly difficult but its never helped me out personally. When you're doing lifts stand up, have something (like a mat or wall) to hold on to, and actually lift your leg above level, and when you bring it down, don't let it actually touch the ground. My favorite exercise for jumps (and most effective) is when you are sitting and do jump holds. You have both feet off the ground & your arms are in a T motion, so that you look like you are doing a toe touch while sitting. This drill is hard, but once you are comfortable doing it, you'll see major improvement.
Sorry this post is all over the place! Hope it helps.

Back