All-Star Im Old And Out Of Shape, But I Can Still...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 16, 2010
I was always that kid that said I would NEVER lose my standing tuck.
Low and behold, I officially retired my standing tuck this past weekend after a rendezvous with some old cheerleading friends... DARN YOU TUCK CHECK!!!
Yes, I could still land it, but I felt like a train wreck after.

For all of you older friends that are no longer in cheer, I want to know what tumbling and partner stunting you can still do, or what age you could not do it any more...

Just for kicks.... here is mine:

R.I.P - Double 2000-2007 (all other twisting skills we discontinued at this time)
R.I.P - Standing Tuck 1996-2011

i'm not really old, in fact i'm only 18, but here's my list-

rip- roundoff handspring full 2009-2010. it had such a short life. -sigh-
rip- cheer career 2000-2010. i'm officially done cheering. :(

I have always coached, for 27 years, Have cheered on A couple of Open Teams in my life, and I always said that I would still tumble at least One standing tuck per day, it actually is about 2-3 per week, for my Pre-K cLass at school, they love it!!! It is a workout getting out of bed in the morning, but still it is a good feeling! I will tumble when I am a GrandPa, even if it is a BHSP!!! I won't ever stop Tumbling!! 3 Ruptured achilles tendons, 1 knee procedure.. I love Tumbling, I think that it is my gimmick. On a tumble trak, i can do many more: Fulls, arabians, etc....
Hopefully soon I will be getting back into coaching...Love it!!!:D:cool:;)

I wasn't a flyer, but I based/back spotted a lot of great stunts. Unfortunately I tore my tendon in my elbow last year and it required surgery (which I elected not to have) and it has made basing and back spotting nearly impossible :( . I'm also early 30's and I think I'm starting to feel my age a bit. I could still do my splits last year but I stopped coaching a year ago(just started back up last week) and haven't attempted any major stretches since then. I retired all my tumbling when I was 21. I tumbled when I was pregnant with twins, early in the pregnancy. They passed away in the NICU the day after they were born, and no my tumbling had nothing to do with it, but I couldn't find it in my heart to tumble again. I instead directed all of my efforts, energy, heart, and soul into coaching.

Any and all stunting I can still do. I'll occasionally be a little sore, but not usually.

RIP all tumbling in 2009! A few surgeries put an end to all of that.
RIP cheering in 2009. Coaching is what's left now.

I am 25...Mine slowly disappeared as I quit working them

RIP One to Double in 2008.
RIP Two to Whip Double at Worlds 2009.
RIP Running Doubles in 2011
RIP Standing Fulls a few months ago

I can stil fly

790e97b3.png

I stopped cheering at 17 (now I've reached the ripe old age of 22). Last year, I was helping to coach a team and stunted around with some of the girls, felt fine while doing it. Holy cow the next day when I woke up.. I could barely move!

RIP backspotting!

I can still count to 8...
Im about on the same page as you!
I did EXCESSIVE competitive gymnastics as a kid (went to a gym school) and my body was stretched and pulled in every direction possible. I went from level 8 tumbling on a gymnastics spring floor, to throwing whatever I wanted on the old school, non-spring floor and a gymnasium. I had always had minor back and hip problems, but it wasnt till a year after I quit tumbling I started to REALLY feel the effects.
In my twenties and already have nerve damage and severe arthritis! I still blame it on gymnastics (not cheer)

I'm only 17 and still have my skills tumbling wise but...

RIP Straight leg scorp... although I'm doing a little bit of voodoo magic (stretching) and trying to bring it back to life

Im about on the same page as you!
I did EXCESSIVE competitive gymnastics as a kid (went to a gym school) and my body was stretched and pulled in every direction possible. I went from level 8 tumbling on a gymnastics spring floor, to throwing whatever I wanted on the old school, non-spring floor and a gymnasium. I had always had minor back and hip problems, but it wasnt till a year after I quit tumbling I started to REALLY feel the effects.
In my twenties and already have nerve damage and severe arthritis! I still blame it on gymnastics (not cheer)

I've had ankle and shoulder surgery. I'm terrified to tumble. I'm completely ok with being too old for that (not that I was ever a great tumbler to begin with). I can still stunt with the little ones, but anything more than junior aged and I'll be feeling it. Because of the shoulder surgery, I'm afraid to side base though, regardless of age/size. It's my right shoulder that was surgically fixed (due to a cheerleading accident), and I'm afraid to catch from that side.

Back