All-Star Im Old And Out Of Shape, But I Can Still...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm 22 and a senior in college, stopped cheering when I was 18 and a senior in high school...

I've managed to barely hold onto a standing handspring and standing tuck, but my running is probably done. It's so depressing, but I've probably put on 20 lbs since the glory days of allstar cheer.

I'm hesitant to say RIP because I feel like if I ran off some extra pounds and went back to tumbling, I could get my punch front through to layout back--> but that prob won't happen =(

RIP Any form of coordination and a physically fit physique.

Died after I walked off the mat at State Championships my senior year. (no allstars senior year)

Lol @cheerKT
Yes, it's depressing! I won't list my vanishing skills but I'll cherish some memories and I'll stick to finishing the thread.

I can still remember doing baskets without backspots in college--not for long tho! And all sorts of other "now illegal" stunts/tosses/transitions. They make for great inspiration but make me run for the rules.

Tumbling deaths:
RIP- standing bhs 1992-1994, resurrected again for 2000-2004
RIP- roundoff BHS 2001-2004
RIP- roundoff tuck 2001-2004
RIP- roundoff layout 2003-2004
RIP- roundoff full, died in the womb (and I almost died lol) 2003
RIP- punch front on the floor 2003-2004 (still can do it off the tumble trak though lol)

Stunting deaths:
I can still base/back for anything and everything- fullups, tick tocks, double downs, flipping tosses, one mans, etc:)
RIP Flying in an extension 1997
RIP Flying mid-level for college pyramids 2001-2004
RIP Basing unassisted toss hands extension 1998-2007 (probably could resurrect that with a tiny flyer now haha)

Jump deaths:
RIP- any jump sequence that is more than one lol 1991-2008

Other deaths:
RIP Fierceness- never;)

I'm 27, after my accident (at work not cheer at the age of 25) I had thought my cheer was R.I.P entirely but around a year later i was back on the mat performing from my wheelchair, it was assisted walk-ins and stuff, but now i'm cradling and we're working rewinds and all sorts, I guess R.I.P leg pop so it' makes tick-tocks and pop overs a nightmare but we'll see in time.
And as for my tumbling, i'm back to floor rolls and handstands (elephant up) and tricking in my chair, so thats rebuilding too, i doubt i'll ever standing tuck but Aaron Fotheringham manages with a skate ramp so we'll see ;) and at my Circus when on a hoist i spin with the best of them!
Hopefully that helps put a bit of a happy boost onto this depressing thread! If you really want it, you can have it all :D
See you in Orlando ;)

I'm 25. I stopped cheering at 22 or 23?

RIP Layout- 2003-2005
RIP Standing tuck- 2003-2009
...basically RIP all tumbling that isn't a standing bhs or a ro bhs.

I never liked to tumble anyway.

I can still do all stunting (flyer)...just don't expect me to pull any body position other than an arabesque....and expect me to complain a lot while doing it...and say "ow this hurts"...and bring up health insurance repeatedly.

I should add I was a gymnast in my younger, less fluffy days. So I can RIP all my skills except a cartwheel. :D Haven't even tried in about 10 years. I wasn't an amazing tumbler...but my beam and bars skills were fab-u-lous. Now? I do believe I could walk the beam and not fall off. :oops:

I started out as a gymnast, made it to Level 10. I cheered co-ed in college. Now, I'm a 32 year old mom.

My girls asked me to tumble about a month ago. Proud to report that I still have a standing tuck to BHS to full.......on the tumbl trak! :)

That's awesome! Wow!

I stopped doing gymnastics when I was 16. I wanted more time to "play". I still did Varsity field hockey--much less of a time commitment. I wish I'd stuck with it now of course, but I guess you live and learn.

That's awesome! Wow!

I stopped doing gymnastics when I was 16. I wanted more time to "play". I still did Varsity field hockey--much less of a time commitment. I wish I'd stuck with it now of course, but I guess you live and learn.

Let me tell you, I was dizzy as anything immediately after (I noticed that after having kids my resistance to getting dizzy went away completely) and the next day-I had a hard time going up the stairs at work!

This is so depressing! Haha, but can I just say how I love seeing my 40-something year old tumbling coaches "demonstrate" how to do the tumbling, execute it perfectly, then walk away holding their back and complaining how it's gonna hurt in the morning :p

R.I.P all my skills in 1999 about the same time I had my cp. I did a parent team a few years back and could still pull a scorpion. Thats the best I got, sad I know.....

Back