I'm Scared That I'll Never Get Good Jumps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 6, 2012
Even though I've been stretching everyday and working out my muscles everyday. I'm also apart of an Allstar team. Any tips on how to get great jumps? How long did it take you? I need to get good jumps by April. I do my front splits and my middle split at least (usually twice) everyday. I hold it for at least 60 seconds. I want my jumps to be amazing.

Thanks! Sorry if I'm sounding pessimistic or whiny, it's just that I've been very worried about this.

Gabi butlers stretching video is for flyer flexibility but a lot of the stretches are good for jumps!
Lay down and scoot your butt up to the wall (legs against the wall) and drop your legs into a straddle... Sit there and let gravity work it's magic ;) it's really painful the first couple times but you get used to it! I usually bring my laptop and watch a movie or something while I do this, it distracts me and then I can stretch longer.

Gabi butlers stretching video is for flyer flexibility but a lot of the stretches are good for jumps!
Lay down and scoot your butt up to the wall (legs against the wall) and drop your legs into a straddle... Sit there and let gravity work it's magic ;) it's really painful the first couple times but you get used to it! I usually bring my laptop and watch a movie or something while I do this, it distracts me and then I can stretch longer.

Thanks. However, I found out holding my middle split has been more effective.

Remember that flexibility is only one piece of the whole skill. One neglected portion is the... JUMP! The strength of the muscles in the leg make you explode into the air, giving you enough time to hit your newly stretched body position. Then there is the core. Core strength will connect with the other muscular systems to exicute the skill's movements with good form and sequence.

Remember that flexibility is only one piece of the whole skill. One neglected portion is the... JUMP! The strength of the muscles in the leg make you explode into the air, giving you enough time to hit your newly stretched body position. Then there is the core. Core strength will connect with the other muscular systems to exicute the skill's movements with good form and sequence.

Thanks! Luckily I've talked to my coaches at the cheer gym and they gave me some strengthening exercises to do for my legs and core.

Something that works really good are Kinetic bands. If you have the extra money I would suggest buying them. They are $30 and they come with two sets of resistant bands. They work like magic! I already had good jumps but I wanted them higher. My jumps were a little past my arms but I still wanted them better. I trained with these and they work great! My jumps were higher the first day! My jumps go far past my arms now. The only thing is after training with them the first couple of days your thighs will hurt horribly. But its all worth it for great jumps, and then your thigh muscles are MUCH stronger. I really would suggest these.
I bought them from here Cheerleading Combo | Cheer Jump Bands | Free Stunt Strap and this set comes with a free stunt strap.
Hope this helped!:) Keep working and they will look amazing!<3

Something that works really good are Kinetic bands. If you have the extra money I would suggest buying them. They are $30 and they come with two sets of resistant bands. They work like magic! I already had good jumps but I wanted them higher. My jumps were a little past my arms but I still wanted them better. I trained with these and they work great! My jumps were higher the first day! My jumps go far past my arms now. The only thing is after training with them the first couple of days your thighs will hurt horribly. But its all worth it for great jumps, and then your thigh muscles are MUCH stronger. I really would suggest these.
I bought them from here Cheerleading Combo | Cheer Jump Bands | Free Stunt Strap and this set comes with a free stunt strap.
Hope this helped!:) Keep working and they will look amazing!<3

Oh my goodness thanks! Definitely putting that link in my favorites.

One thing I did was do my jumps with ankle weights. It hurts and its hard, but it works wonders. Another thing I did was do 5 kicks on each leg in the position my leg would be in the toetouch with ankle weights on and then hold the last one you kick at its highest point for 5 seconds. Once that part gets easier move to ten, with 10 second holds, and so on.

I'm also stuck with jumps. (They are getting worse, now they look like star jumps!!) I am really flexible. I can't rotate my hips in the air though! On the trampoline i have perfect jumps. But i can't get it on the ground.

I'm also stuck with jumps. (They are getting worse, now they look like star jumps!!) I am really flexible. I can't rotate my hips in the air though! On the trampoline i have perfect jumps. But i can't get it on the ground.

Oh ): Are you focusing on your counts while doing them? Have you been working on your leg strength? That what's been working the best for me so far. I've improved a decent amount.

Back