High School Improvements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2009
Okay, so this will be my second season coaching the JV team in my city. Last year went well, the girls adjusted to cheerleading, I adjusted to being a head coach of a team and overall we had a great season.
However, this year the girls will be returning with more experience and I want to make the season have a little more... oomph if that's what you would call it. I plan on conditioning them more, having more theme practices, and planning more fun activities that still help them excel with the sport. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure how big cheerleading is in your city but really start incorporating tumbling in there too. Have team t shirt parties so they can decorate their practice gear!

Have some fun team bonding activities like a pool party or movie night.

Little certificates go a LONG way. I like to make up my own and bring them to every camp I work. They're cheap (just print them out) and easy to keep with you at all times. I'll give them out throughout the day when I see a "Super Smiler" or a "Random act of Kindness", etc. I still have every single certificate I've ever received from a coach!

take them to a camp and have like pool parties and team bonding we did that and our team was very close and good at working together and we were so ready and hardworking once we started practicing with stunts and tumbling and such

Our HS just had tryouts and very few freshman made varsity, so of course many girls were sad. Some even expressed shame that they "couldn't" make varsity. I think you need to find a way to make them proud of their JV team. Really get them in sync on motions, jumps and dance (especially if the tumbling isn't there) Stretch and flex or plyometric training for better jumps. They need to be invested in making themselves the best they can be.

Back