Inability To Do Roundoff- Keep Attempting Or Go Back To Basics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Emw

Nov 30, 2012
I have been working with a cheer/ tumbling instructor about 2 or 3 times a week for 3 months in order to learn tumbling. All these lessons have been on me attempting round offs. I have not been able to do it, these are my problems: my legs come down with a loud thump, I do not land square, my butt sticks back, my chest is down.
When I run into it, and try to maintain momentum, I do a cartwheel. My instructor has said: I am leaving my second leg on the ground too long, as I go into it, I need to squeeze legs together, get chest up. My toes need to go to the ceiling before they touch down, and my first leg is bent.

I just simply cannot fix these things it seems, I just keep doing them and I feel like My mind knows what to do but I cannot "make" myself do them.

Can I tell my instructor I think I need to go back a step? What determines if I can or can't do a roundoff? I
I can hold myself in a free handstand of for a couple seconds but not consistently, but against the wall I have enough strength. Hanstand snap downs are only successful when I actually kick up all the way, even then I dont't get any rebound.

I would like some ideas, maybe I am deficient in strength and flexibility? I feel like I can't keep doing them halfway because when I land I land twisted and my knees and ankle are getting hurt... Sme with the hip joint of my second leg that I "leave on the ground"
Thank you so much this Has been very frustrating!

Thanks, cartwheel are quite bad. On them, I barely get enough momentum to make my legs go over, and my legs are bent.

I suspect I need leg power to drive my legs (straight) to get them going all the way around and the ability to block through my arms. Could this be improved by doing squat jumps or something more specific?

My teacher says to squeeze,and point my toes in a cartwheel/handstand and I know this is important, but I just can't squeeze since im all over the place! '

Do you or anybody have some examples of very beginner, very basic roundoff/cartwheel conditioning/exercises basic progressions that I can do on my own? And what are some good signs that I am strong enough and ready to move on?

Also, handstand basics..what does this include? Thank you again

I know many girls who can do roundoffs that can't hold a handstand. I would definitely recommend conditioning and stretching. You might also want to look at changing the Coach that you work with. Some kids click better with different Coaches and different learning styles. The amount of time that you are putting into learning your round off you should be making progress.

Yes, I just turned 20, which could be a slight problem. =) I agree with the handstand thing, because my coach cannot really "hold" a handstand either.
I am at an awkward point with my instructor because she just basically watches me and doesn't say much, as if I am supposed to magically get it one day. I pay out of my own pocket too, it is something I really want to do, but I realize I am going to either have to switch coaches or make significant progress by conditioning on my own and just going to open gym. It is the only gym around me, and I would feel weird telling her I would like to try another instructor. Like I said, I am 20, and I thought I could deal with this instructor but everyday I come in she asks me what I want to do. Of course I just usually say, "well, I guess I will work on roundoffs....?"

I would just be honest with her. If your gym has a guy Coach that might also be beneficial. He might be able to spot you through some of the motions. That way you get the idea of how it is suppose to feel when done correctly.

Check out some of the conditioning exercises on fortheloveoftumbling.com

I have checked this out. There is just such a wide variety, I get a bit overwhelmed and a lot of things do not have descriptions. I just wonder what is the most beneficial.For example, I can hold a plank and a superman, etc. I just would like to know that whatever conditioning I do, it will somehow improve the factors that are holding me back with this round off. I haven't had much success picking out my own conditioning on the internet. Some things, like handstand pops and snapdowns, I am not even capable of doing yet.

you need to do like knee cartwheels, handstands to a flat back, roundoffs to your belly on a wedge, handstand snap downs, and condition shoulders, core, back, and legs!

I would just be honest with her. If your gym has a guy Coach that might also be beneficial. He might be able to spot you through some of the motions. That way you get the idea of how it is suppose to feel when done correctly.

Hmm, I do agree. I have thought about doing this, the only reason I haven't (yet) is because I started to think that it must be something to do with my physical flexibility or strength, and that no matter what coach I had I still wouldn't be able to do one.I have thought about quitting and maybe coming back if I do conditioning on my own, but I have already put so much time in. I am completely OK with doing very basic things, staring at square one, and making sure I do it right the first time. I think I have even expressed this to her...its sad to think that I have been possibly wasting my time and money if I truly am not yet physically capable to do a roundoff and I keep doing them badly. But at the same time, I think she says very little to me in an entire lesson about technique and I feel like I need more instruction.

I would do both at the same time. Work on some conditioning & stretching at home on your own. You can even get an exercise DVD and start with that. While you are doing that work with a different Coach that might be a better fit for you and your learning style at the gym.

you need to do like knee cartwheels, handstands to a flat back, roundoffs to your belly on a wedge, handstand snap downs, and condition shoulders, core, back, and legs!

I think I could do the maybe the handstand snaps if I work at it, and maybe the other two, but knee cartwheels, although I know it must be a great drill for whipping your legs over, seems quite impossible for me now. What do I do if I cannot whip my legs around fast or straight enough in a normal cartwheel?

Thank you for giving some ideas though!

I would do both at the same time. Work on some conditioning & stretching at home on your own. You can even get an exercise DVD and start with that. While you are doing that work with a different Coach that might be a better fit for you and your learning style at the gym.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I have wondered if it is necessary to be able to do the splits while on the ground in order to get straight legs throughout a roundoff? I definitely can't do them but it is something I could work on. As far as conditioning, well, I can think of things that are genuinely challenging (for me) like I can't do fast V-up things, or pushups very well, so would basic things like this carry over? Or are there any exercises that when a tumbler can do them it usually signifies the strength to do good tumbling?

I have nothing constructive to offer but wanted to say kudos for you for trying at 20! That is amazing. I watch my CP do all that fancy stuff and think it looks fun but I'm old and would probably break a hip. I can still do my right split and a (really ugly) cartwheel and roundoff, but never ever in public. Good luck to you- that is awesome!!!

Back