Inability To Do Roundoff- Keep Attempting Or Go Back To Basics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No, you don't need the splits for a round off. When you get to skills like standing back tucks, lay outs, fulls, etc. above average strength is critical/necessary. I do know girls who can do good round offs that are not in the best shape. With that said improving your strength and flexibility will definitely improve your tumbling skills. Basic strength exercises will carry over to make you a better tumbler. It is one of the reasons gymnast and high level cheerleaders spend a significant amount of time conditioning and stretching.

I have nothing constructive to offer but wanted to say kudos for you for trying at 20! That is amazing. I watch my CP do all that fancy stuff and think it looks fun but I'm old and would probably break a hip. I can still do my right split and a (really ugly) cartwheel and roundoff, but never ever in public. Good luck to you- that is awesome!!!
No, you don't need the splits for a round off. When you get to skills like standing back tucks, lay outs, fulls, etc. above average strength is critical/necessary. I do know girls who can do good round offs that are not in the best shape. With that said improving your strength and flexibility will definitely improve your tumbling skills. Basic strength exercises will carry over to make you a better tumbler. It is one of the reasons gymnast and high level cheerleaders spend a significant amount of time conditioning and stretching.

I agree, I admire how strong you actually need to be. I was skeptical that I was actually getting "stronger' doing bad cartwheels and roundoffs, haha. I probably was doing more harm than good. It is good to know that basic strength like that will carryover, because I can at least do basic strength work. Thank you all you have definitely given me hope and have given me some sort of direction now!

I have the excact same problem! :( I just can't seem to close my legs on a roundoff, so basically, it's a fast cartwheel. -.-
The worst part is, that I can do standing tumbling, BHS and Back Tuck, but with this roundoff, I will NEVER be able to do running tumbling..
Any idea how I could fix this?

Best advice is to master a cartwheel. Then start working on drills like a cartwheel click (I'm not sure if there are other names for them) and cartwheel to a side handstand.

Both I those will help you develop the body control to get your legs together at the top of the skill. From there what you learn in a handstand snapdown will be more helpful.

Also be sure your hand placement is correct for a cartwheel when you are doing them and a roundoff when you are doing them.

Best advice is to master a cartwheel. Then start working on drills like a cartwheel click (I'm not sure if there are other names for them) and cartwheel to a side handstand.

Both I those will help you develop the body control to get your legs together at the top of the skill. From there what you learn in a handstand snapdown will be more helpful.

Also be sure your hand placement is correct for a cartwheel when you are doing them and a roundoff when you are doing them.
Thank you I have gone back to a cartwheel and am even having problems there! I need to keep my legs straight and push over faster!

Back