All-Star Incorrect Division Splitting And Combining

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
Okay, I feel that I should send my resume out to every major competition company because apparently, I know how to do something that not all of the event schedule makers do, read the rules!!!!
I have been to 3 USASF sanctioned events this year and not at a single one have I not found errors in how to split and when to/not to split and combine these divisions.

First competition was a jamfest regional, Turkey Jam in Hot springs arkansas. Junior 3, there were three smalls and two larges, one of the larges was coed. They combined all five teams. It should've gone large all girl and large coed together, followed by small, following the procedures outlined in the age grid. This one is understandable because it involves more than one step. Not too hard. I emailed the producer and gave her a chance to make good on it, and while she apologized to me nothing was said to the gyms involved. (the two large teams took first and second so it took first 2nd and third away from the other three teams and did nothing to the larges) while I am all for increased competition, rules are rules. I wish I had the cached pages that originally showed it being two seperate divisions, but II don't, but I do have a copy of the email where the mistake was admitted.

Next competition is Cheersport Regional in Little Rock, AR. Youth 2, and that tricky junior 3 where combining/splitting coed becomes an issue.
http://cheersport.net/pdf/uploads/R476.PDF this is the results page, one large youth 2 team, should've been combined. there is one coed junior three team by itself. One of two things should've happened, one makign it more correct one making it absolutely correct. If there is only one coed team you have to combine it with the other junior 3 teams. however Infiniti athletics blaze is large by my best knowledge so they should've combined

the large coed CCU team with infiniti and made two divisions out of that.

Now onto the last
ASC Oklahoma.

All of the large smalls and coeds were correct to the best of my knowledge but I honestly haven't checked.
However it is the splitting of large and small gyms taht irks me. In a small competition with no divisions with more 6 teams in a division, they split small and large gyms!
They are only allowed to do this when there are 10 or more teams in the large and or small categories. it doesn't say anything about doing it with less than ten.

So in closing, here are three major competition companies who we all attend regularly who are all USASF sanctioned not following the rules. I'm putting everyone on blast because I really wasn't satisfied with the results when I went to Jamfest, I thought they at least should have apologized to the teams involved, but that never occured. (I left the email anonymously)
What is the penalty for not following the rules? Who should be told about this (does that person happen to read the rules) Is the USASF letting event producers do this? Do they not care? And finally, what does everyone else here feel about this?

A/B SPLITS

If after splitting divisions into "Small" and "Large" there are
10 or more teams in the "Small" or "Large" division, then event producers may split that division further by squad size or into "Small Gym" divisions. If splitting further by size, then event producers must use a name such as "Division I", "Division II" or "Division A", "Division B" to denote the split and must clearly define the number of competitors
permitted on the team for each of these particular divisions. If splitting into a "Small Gym" division, then the definition of a "Small Gym" listed below must be followed.

We are attending a competition this weekend where there is 1 small junior 5 team, 1 small junior coed 5, and 1 large junior coed 5. Instead of combining all 3 of us they combined the 2 junior coeds, and we go against ourselves??

They did the exact same thing in Junior 4. It remains to be seen if this will be changed, but I found it odd. It is an NCA btw.

Cheer Power did the exact same thing this past weekend. There was 1 small junior 3 and 1 large jr. coed 3. They split them and both went uncontested. This is the 2nd time this year that ACP has done this. I am confused because I thought it was a USASF rule that they had to stay combined unless there were at least 2 small and 2 large or 2 coed and 2 all girl. I would love to hear someone's input on this that knows the rules a little better than I do. :)

We are attending a competition this weekend where there is 1 small junior 5 team, 1 small junior coed 5, and 1 large junior coed 5. Instead of combining all 3 of us they combined the 2 junior coeds, and we go against ourselves??

They did the exact same thing in Junior 4. It remains to be seen if this will be changed, but I found it odd. It is an NCA btw.
The same thing is happening to my daughter this weekend. They have combined all girl large and small Sr. 3 ( at least I assume they have, since it's just listed as Sr. 3) and left her sr. coed 3 by themselves.

The same thing is happening to my daughter this weekend. They have combined all girl large and small Sr. 3 ( at least I assume they have, since it's just listed as Sr. 3) and left her sr. coed 3 by themselves.

There are only rules for combining Jr Coed 3, 4 & 5, not Senior.

Okay, I feel that I should send my resume out to every major competition company because apparently, I know how to do something that not all of the event schedule makers do, read the rules!!!!
I have been to 3 USASF sanctioned events this year and not at a single one have I not found errors in how to split and when to/not to split and combine these divisions.

First competition was a jamfest regional, Turkey Jam in Hot springs arkansas. Junior 3, there were three smalls and two larges, one of the larges was coed. They combined all five teams. It should've gone large all girl and large coed together, followed by small, following the procedures outlined in the age grid. This one is understandable because it involves more than one step. Not too hard. I emailed the producer and gave her a chance to make good on it, and while she apologized to me nothing was said to the gyms involved. (the two large teams took first and second so it took first 2nd and third away from the other three teams and did nothing to the larges) while I am all for increased competition, rules are rules. I wish I had the cached pages that originally showed it being two seperate divisions, but II don't, but I do have a copy of the email where the mistake was admitted.

Next competition is Cheersport Regional in Little Rock, AR. Youth 2, and that tricky junior 3 where combining/splitting coed becomes an issue.
http://cheersport.net/pdf/uploads/R476.PDF this is the results page, one large youth 2 team, should've been combined. there is one coed junior three team by itself. One of two things should've happened, one makign it more correct one making it absolutely correct. If there is only one coed team you have to combine it with the other junior 3 teams. however Infiniti athletics blaze is large by my best knowledge so they should've combined

well the gym with the large youth 2 team also had a small...they will n ot combine and make you compete againest yourself so I understand that one...the others???

NVM -- I re-read the post and realized what they were saying was true. :)

that one is weird, because the wording for splitting combining says if there is only ONE coed team then they have to combine... so from what I gather they did the right thing by combining them, since it creates Junior 5 and junior coed 5. they don't have to split by size because there are only two coed teams in the coed 5 division.

also by reading the first page of the age grid (shoulda clicked earlier but i never saw this until looking for clarification for level5mom)

The list above is a "menu" of divisions that may be offered by an individual event producer. An event producer does not have to offer every division listed above.
However, a USASF/IASF member event producer may only offer divisions from the grid above and/or combine/split divisions based upon the guidelines below, unless prior written approval is received from the USASF/IASF. Divisions/rules that are "less" or "more" restrictive than those listed are not permitted without written permission from the USASF/IASF.

and a side note that maybe king can help with
does anyone else text and fonts go crazy trying to make quotes from other fonts bigger????

that one is weird, because the wording for splitting combining says if there is only ONE coed team then they have to combine... so from what I gather they did the right thing by combining them, since it creates Junior 5 and junior coed 5. they don't have to split by size because there are only two coed teams in the coed 5 division.

Well and what is strange is that the situation for Junior 5 is completely opposite the situation for Junior 4, yet none are combined. Take a look: http://www.nca.varsity.com/pdfs/atlanta_po.pdf

they split junior small 4 into two groups. now its junior 4 teams with 18 girls and under and teams with 19 and 20 girls. this should be good.

Well and what is strange is that the situation for Junior 5 is completely opposite the situation for Junior 4, yet none are combined. Take a look: http://www.nca.varsity.com/pdfs/atlanta_po.pdf

Weird...... to do the wrong thing by mistake is understandable. to do things in a completely random and contradictary way is another. I'm guessing that they just weren't going to combine junior 5 even if there was only one level 5 team. Or it looks like Georgia doesn't want to be in the same division as stingrays ;) (LOL totally joking not even trying to start drama, is it too soon to crack those kind of jokes anyway?)

Kingston should write them a little schedule program that would take care of this, i think even someone skilled in functions in excel could right? It wouldn't be too much of a math problem right? I could reason it out but putting into form would be different.

We have run into the issue of combining in the Junior 3 division this season as well. ALL YEAR we have had to call and ask for them to be combined with the other Junior 3 teams after the schedule has come out. But thankfully every event has done it when asked. I know we shouldn't have to ask, but that is ok. I'd rather make the phone call and compete against the other Junior 3 teams, than not make the phone call...

Back