All-Star Injury Poll!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What level and how your injury occurred.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
cp, Level 3, broken foot and sprained ankle, playing basketball in P.E. at school. It really got in the way of cheer and tumbling practice!

My cp broke her ankle at 9 years old during her first year on J5 while chucking the most frightening fulls I've ever seen in my life. After that season she quit cheer and went back to gymnastics where they taught her a proper full so when she came back to cheer everything came so much easier. Other than that we've just had some ankle sprains, a minor knee sprain working standing fulls and a bad wrist sprain while main basing full ups. All in all so far we've been pretty lucky but she is only 13 so there is a lot of time left. I just pray that she stays focused on the technique that has gotten her this far safely.

did not mean to send that previous post...
The injuries at my small gym include:
1. A torn ACL doing the jump section at a competition
2. a few broken arms/hands/fingers from incorrect hand placement in a backhandspring
the advanced athletes at my gym rarely get injured from tumbling...our coach truly does know how to condition us properly for the skills we work on.

Only kind of injury I've had was a sprained ankle from tripping while walking around the floor.

Does a torn muscle from jumps count?

I broke my ankle because of a coaches terrible spotting skills. I was trying a full with a spot for the first time and he "forgot" I didn't have it and didn't spot me. I landed and snapped my ankle.

No... It had to happen at a Varsity, Jam brands, or Cheersport event. Oh... and Cheer Ltd.. At least for it to be included in the scientific study.
Actually from the Physical Therapists I've been working with lately, they have told me that the #1 element in cheerleading that they see as risky for ACL's is a toe touch. I've seen two ACL's from toe touches and one in a dance, all at high schools back in the day.
My gym has had 3 ACL tears in the past 4 years, 1 a full she was told not to throw and threw it anyway while she was at open gym and her team coaches weren't around, 1 a two to a full for her high school which was specifically told not to throw it by me (her brace currently reads "had I listened to my coach I wouldn't be wearing this". The last was a full which I can honestly say was a fluke, she had throw literally thousands and landed that one with her feet apart and toe turned out. My twisting rules gymwide are #1 always land with feet together and #2 never land with knees locked. If for any reason these occur they must take one step back and land them correctly before they move on. With these being said in my gym we have roughly 30 with standing fulls and probably 20ish that can whip+ punch double. Zero injuries on those skills. Our gym has suffered more injuries in backhandsprings with kids turning their hands out than anything else, and let me tell you we always have been brutal on that issue, but sometimes it happens.

I can't check of anything, because my answer(s) are IO6 stunting. I tore a muscle in my shoulder on a lib catch gone wrong, but thankfully avoided surgery.

The other wasn't even a skill....I rolled my ankle off the edge of the floor and sprained my ankle and was on crutches for 6 weeks.

My level 2 cp was laying on the tumble track during tryouts talking. Then she started to laugh and banged her head into another girls knee and her mouth started bleeding.

She came running across the floor crying with everyone wondering what was wrong and her tooth was just hanging in the top of her mouth by a thread. Lol

I am unsure of the actual mechanism of injury, but my CP was injured doing a running BHS about 6 months ago. I thought the arm was broken as she was hysterically crying and refused to move it, but we went to the ER and the x-ray was clean. She had some swelling and a slight bruise. She was able to move it that night, and was "normal" within 48 hours. Working theory is that it was probably a slight dislocation that she popped back in when she drew her arm up to her body immediately after she injured it. The only reason we think this is because of a) the clean x-ray, obviously b)the severe amount of pain she was in immediately following the injury and c)how quickly she recovered. She most likely would have taken a while longer to recover if it was a true sprain.

My daughter was doing a full basket on a level 3 team . Nobody caught her. First she hit her back, then neck, then head hard on the spring floor. She got a mild concusion and triggered a cluster of severe migraines. She got a severe migraine almost every day for about 2 weeks after the incident. She has always been prone to migraines, but usually gets about 5 v. 13 in a two week period. In addition she was left with neck & back pains.

my cp is actually in a need brace right now she is level 5 (restricted) warming up her basket toss one of her bases didnt catch her the other base and back attempted but she landed on her knee and it twisted she has strained ligaments and a severly sprained patella and some bruising on her bones

Back