All-Star Insurance Issues

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
I have heard that part of the motivation for all this is cheerleading has a problem getting insured because of the increased amount of injuries. How many companies currently will insure cheerleading? K&K and ? (I have heard there are only two).

This is a major deal because no insurance means no cheerleading.

But taking out standing fulls, standing to double and bounding skills isn't going to change things. The kids that are getting hurt ( unless by freak accident) are still going to get hurt. Moronic coaches letting kids throw skills they don't have is what's getting them hurt. And how exactly does a uniform come into play with insurance?

According to a couple of people on that call last night, insurance is not an issue. I wonder...

But taking out standing fulls, standing to double and bounding skills isn't going to change things. The kids that are getting hurt ( unless by freak accident) are still going to get hurt. Moronic coaches letting kids throw skills they don't have is what's getting them hurt. And how exactly does a uniform come into play with insurance?
According to a couple of people on that call last night, insurance is not an issue. I wonder...

I am not saying the proposed solution currently passed IS the correct solution. I do agree with Les there needs to be stricter judging on execution.

As for the insurance thing I believe it is a bigger deal than most believe or others would care to admit. I would like us to call some insurance companies today and find out if there is more than 2. Remember college had to change because of insurance, it isn't unthinkable allstar would have to act as well (though not in the current way).

If gymnastics can get insured so can cheerleading . . . btw why not require all athletes to have insurance. Has anyone heard of a cheerleader who got injured at a competition suing an event producer?

Just an FYI - Moving in a month, had to get new insurance. It was not expensive and covers more than the USASF insurance does right now. Can't wait to read the thread on the age and image changes and the safety reasons behind them..... :confused:

People need to understand that it is not individual insurance, it is gym and event insurance. Unless Obamacare passes and there is universal healthcare for all (funny that would impact cheerleading huh?) it is very important that ALL gyms and events have insurance. Individuals do no matter in the existence of cheerleading.

If gymnastics can get insured so can cheerleading . . . btw why not require all athletes to have insurance. Has anyone heard of a cheerleader who got injured at a competition suing an event producer?
One of my children was hurt at an event and is suing the EP. It had nothing to do with anything the event producer did, but that is how it has to be from a legal standpoint. It was the actual venue ( a radiator fell off the wall onto her and she broke her femur and and arm) - it very nearly killed her.

Has anyone heard of a cheerleader who got injured at a competition suing an event producer?

I believe that's why they have to sign waivers. The indemnity clause protects the EP's in case of injury.

I believe that's why they have to sign waivers. The indemnity clause protects the EP's in case of injury.

That does not mean you cannot sue. As well if the reasons for the clause are found to be misleading or untrue that also doesn't mean you can't win.

Even if Obamacare passes, gyms and EPs will need to carry insurance, because lawsuits will still happen. Lawsuits go for "deep pockets".

Several years ago...medical malpractice insurance changed in PA(maybe other states as well)Many doctors could not afford to continue practicing it may be that the kind of liability insurance that EP's and gyms need to have is becoming cost prohibitive but it seems to me that these changes are drastic and did not go through the proper channels and that is where the main problem is.

For starters as a governing body, gymnastics has mandatory background checks. Not completely the issue but certainly a part of it.

Back