OT Ipads For School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Do you think iPads are a good idea for educational purposes?

• Total voters
Feb 22, 2011
My school has officially decided that next year we're getting iPads for school. Yes, you have to pay for them, but we get a discount. I go to a private school, so payment isn't a huge issue for the majority, but we also have to pay for uniforms through the school, khakis/dress pants, shoes (any with covered heels), and crazy tuition. Like always some people are complaining about the cost, how distracting they are, no paper, etc. and some think it's a good idea; no text book fees, no school supplies (besides the ipad), and it's actually yours. I'm on the fence with all this, I'm super forgetful and if you forget it you're pretty much screwed for the entire day and online assignments will be the end of me, but then again it gives my parents a break on paying for stuff and I get an iPad. I was wondering if anyone else has them or is getting them for school and how they help/hurt? And your thoughts and opinions on them for educational purposes. thanks!:)

p.s. anyone have any good apps for school? (ex: note taking, graphing calculator, english-spanish dictionaries, flash cards, voice recording, etc.)... that are worth the money i don't want to spend another $500 trying to find the right thesaurus

Good Idea! Do you have any preferences?
I have not tried any- sorry! My 5th and 6th grader use their IPADS constantly. Are you getting the IPAD2 with the camera?
It is great because you can video, take pictures of things in class and skype. Sounds like your school is pretty tech savy and they will probably have great apps for you to download. I like the thought of going to IPADS because science textbooks get outdated so quickly.

If you don't get a separate key board its just a pain in the butt. My dad bought one for me for "school" and I used it maybe once or twice for taking notes cause it was a pain to attempt to take fast notes with a touch screen. So you more then likely have to get a separate key board for it.

okay thanks! and we're getting the iPad 2, even though I'm pretty sure 3 is coming out sometime soon

How much of a discount?
I think it's a good idea when it comes to textbooks and note taking etc, but of course there are just some things like math that are better done on paper :)
Anyways, I am slightly jealous.

We brought one for my daughter for school and while she is always on it, I also find it is a big distraction for her at times.
She will try to study for a while, but then she starts flipping thru her apps or watching movies and I have to get on her about not studying. She also said it's kind of hard to take good notes on the iPad2 without a keyboard. Other than that she loves ot and I love it! We talk to her dad overseas, she's done homework and projects on it and when she misses a class, she can take great video and photos of notes, as well as FaceTime/Skype classmates on it to get the work. Also, get a case that covers the screen!
On the iPad3, I've been doing a bit of research about them and so far it seems like the 3 isn't much of an update from the 2. If you have a chose, I would get the 2 and hold out for the iPad5. That's when it is really suppose to change.

My school has 10 in the library we're allowed to use..but I can't type on it. It hurts my fingers too much!

I know the
Falshcards app is great because you have tons of topics to choose from in any grade level and you can make your own
The myHomework app reminds you of your schedule and what homework/projects etc... Are due and when.
The dictionary app of course
iBooks is a really great app
My journal is great for note taking and you can also have a password and add photos to it plus it automatically has the date and time of each entry. Such a great app!

I know the
Falshcards app is great because you have tons of topics to choose from in any grade level and you can make your own
The myHomework app reminds you of your schedule and what homework/projects etc... Are due and when.
My journal is great for note taking and you can also have a password and add photos to it plus it automatically has the date and time of each entry. Such a great app!
OOOOO thank you!! I have an iPhone, and the Reminders app doesn't really help, so I've been looking for something like this!

How much of a discount?
I think it's a good idea when it comes to textbooks and note taking etc, but of course there are just some things like math that are better done on paper :)
Anyways, I am slightly jealous.
I'm not sure how much? I know it's somewhat signficant, the way they talk about it makes it seem like it is anyways. Good point I think I like writing math assignments on reg paper:)

We brought one for my daughter for school and while she is always on it, I also find it is a big distraction for her at times.
She will try to study for a while, but then she starts flipping thru her apps or watching movies and I have to get on her about not studying. She also said it's kind of hard to take good notes on the iPad2 without a keyboard. Other than that she loves ot and I love it! We talk to her dad overseas, she's done homework and projects on it and when she misses a class, she can take great video and photos of notes, as well as FaceTime/Skype classmates on it to get the work. Also, get a case that covers the screen!
On the iPad3, I've been doing a bit of research about them and so far it seems like the 3 isn't much of an update from the 2. If you have a chose, I would get the 2 and hold out for the iPad5. That's when it is really suppose to change.

Haha I'm pretty sure that's gonna be my problem, I'm so easily distracted especially on apple products! when I get a notification I get ADD and have to click on it immediately or else I go crazy. The skype/facetime thing is a really good idea for homework! I didn't really think of that and usually i just send pics via text to get help from my friends haha. &it's good that the 3 won't be too much of a change from the 2 I'd be kind of mad if I absolutely had to get 2 when there was a better one out there. I don't think I can wait for 5 though that's a little drastic ;)

I know the

Thanks for the app suggestions!! I'll definitely try and download them once I get some iTunes money

Evernote and Evernote Peek! (peek only works with the smart cover)
What exactly is Evernote? I bet you can tell the only apps i have on my iPod/Phone are entertainment/games.:)

Thanks for taking the time to respond it really helps! :)

Back