OT Ipads For School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Do you think iPads are a good idea for educational purposes?

• Total voters
I use the outliner app for all my notes... I used the free version and loved it so i bought the "outliner pro" full version

Epinote HD got great reviews and is a free app to take notes. Looks interesting but I haven't personally tried it.

I'm not sure how much? I know it's somewhat signficant, the way they talk about it makes it seem like it is anyways. Good point I think I like writing math assignments on reg paper:)

Haha I'm pretty sure that's gonna be my problem, I'm so easily distracted especially on apple products! when I get a notification I get ADD and have to click on it immediately or else I go crazy. The skype/facetime thing is a really good idea for homework! I didn't really think of that and usually i just send pics via text to get help from my friends haha. &it's good that the 3 won't be too much of a change from the 2 I'd be kind of mad if I absolutely had to get 2 when there was a better one out there. I don't think I can wait for 5 though that's a little drastic ;)

Thanks for the app suggestions!! I'll definitely try and download them once I get some iTunes money

What exactly is Evernote? I bet you can tell the only apps i have on my iPod/Phone are entertainment/games.:)

Thanks for taking the time to respond it really helps! :)
I just wanted you to know everything I suggested is free except for myjournal! :)

i wish my school would do this:( I have an Ipad and I use it for just about everything from entertainment to education... we aren't supposed to have them at school but i occasionally take mine cuz i use flashcards+ to study for some of my tests. i feel like the technology makes learning so much more interesting... they have apps for everything and imo make learning much more fun than watching the same diagram ur teacher has been using for the past 10 years. I completely 100% think Ipads are a great educational tool and more schools should implement them or at least allow their use in the classroom:)

Some of the apps I really like: myjournal, notability, flashcards+, dictionary.com, itranslate, google, ibooks, planets, google books, and ihomework

A sorority sister of mine currently teaches at an all Ipad middle school...and she hates it. Not to scare you, it's probably more of a teacher problem than a student problem. It works great for some kids, but it’s the ones getting left behind and even hurt by its use that she’s worrying about. It’s not a private school, so there are some lower income students there. Some do not have wifi at home, so they really do not benefit from the use of the machine at home. Sometimes they can even access their homework due to lack of internet. It’s kind of a sketch situation in public schools.

Personally, I don’t know how I would feel about it. I can’t read things and learn off a screen. I have the option of buying a lot of my textbooks as e-books for a discounted rate. It’s proven that you read about 3 times slower on a screen than off a page, and I just find it hard to focus on the material. This is all just personal, however. And it might work fine for you.

A sorority sister of mine currently teaches at an all Ipad middle school...and she hates it. Not to scare you, it's probably more of a teacher problem than a student problem. It works great for some kids, but it’s the ones getting left behind and even hurt by its use that she’s worrying about. It’s not a private school, so there are some lower income students there. Some do not have wifi at home, so they really do not benefit from the use of the machine at home. Sometimes they can even access their homework due to lack of internet. It’s kind of a sketch situation in public schools.

Personally, I don’t know how I would feel about it. I can’t read things and learn off a screen. I have the option of buying a lot of my textbooks as e-books for a discounted rate. It’s proven that you read about 3 times slower on a screen than off a page, and I just find it hard to focus on the material. This is all just personal, however. And it might work fine for you.

Agreed. I don't think getting iPads would be a good idea for public schools just because some people's at home situation. I'm completely opposite i'd take reading an ibook over a normal book anyday, but like i said i go ADHD when i get a notification for anything sooo i can learn to an exent haha

i wish my school would do this:( I have an Ipad and I use it for just about everything from entertainment to education... we aren't supposed to have them at school but i occasionally take mine cuz i use flashcards+ to study for some of my tests. i feel like the technology makes learning so much more interesting... they have apps for everything and imo make learning much more fun than watching the same diagram ur teacher has been using for the past 10 years. I completely 100% think Ipads are a great educational tool and more schools should implement them or at least allow their use in the classroom:)

Some of the apps I really like: myjournal, notability, flashcards+, dictionary.com, itranslate, google, ibooks, planets, google books, and ihomework

haha good point! my school is probably one of the oldest schools in town and i feel like they've been using the same sheets and learning strategies since its been opened. Most kids at my school pass down our binders or sell them because we all know that they use the same worksheets, notes, and finals from the year before. thanks for the app suggestions!

I'm pretty sure there is an app and you can get like a stylus that you could take notes with. I saw someone do it in the airport once.

Does the keyboard work pretty well with the iPad? CP needs a keyboard and it seems cheaper to buy a case with a keyboard, then buying just a keyboard.
YES! i love it. it works really well. and the case covers the screen when you close it too. its perfect

My school uses iPads for the freshman AP human geo classes and the lower level math and from what I've heard they work great! my school puts all the power points for notes online so the students just pull that up during class and follow along. If the teachers moves off of a slide too fast they can stay on that one slide to continue reading on their iPad! also, my school has you email your homework assignments in because you do all of it on your iPad, which is probably what your school would end up doing! They worked really well with all of my friends last year so I'm sure you won't have a problem!

http://sunrise.en.made-in-china.com...eyboard-With-Leather-Cover-Case-for-iPad.html

the best thing i've ever gotten for my ipad. its a full case+keyboard
This looks like a nice one, from what I've heard the case and keyboard thing is the best way to go
I'm pretty sure there is an app and you can get like a stylus that you could take notes with. I saw someone do it in the airport once.

I tried getting a stylus for my iPad and it was kinda crappy because sometimes the screen wouldn't pick it up as a finger or stylus, so if anyone has suggestions for styluses that would be great:)
My school uses iPads for the freshman AP human geo classes and the lower level math and from what I've heard they work great! my school puts all the power points for notes online so the students just pull that up during class and follow along. If the teachers moves off of a slide too fast they can stay on that one slide to continue reading on their iPad! also, my school has you email your homework assignments in because you do all of it on your iPad, which is probably what your school would end up doing! They worked really well with all of my friends last year so I'm sure you won't have a problem!
I hope my school goes as well as yours, most of the teachers at my school have been teaching for a long time like 30+ years and i can see them not adapting well to the iPads. Some of the newer teachers do put the powerpoints online for us, but its only for our spare time.

I have had a Zaggmate Keyboard by Logitech for 6 months and love it. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Case-iPad-2/dp/B00512W4Y2/ref=pd_cp_e_4
It's great because it's aluminum so it protects the iPad very well (I've even dropped it a few times) but it's detached which means it can tip over when you are using it and the iPad will fall out. All in all I don't mind that and it is very convenient, kind of like using a netbook. I find myself grabbing the iPad with keyboard much more often than a laptop in the house and to even type to here or on my blog.

Now that I've had it for a while, I would recommend the updated version of the Zaggmate case because it is attached which protects the iPad very well (solves the tip-over problem) and you can detach the keyboard if you like.
http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-ZAGGfoli...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325737019&sr=1-1

I would also consider the Targus case with keyboard for all the same reasons, plus it can be rotated between portrait and landscape: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Case-iPad-2/dp/B00512W4Y2/ref=pd_cp_e_4

Hope that helps.

i dont recommend the ipad for school. i think something else. because not only is it through the roof with the price there is not usb cable so you cant upload anything without connecting it to a computer

I have had a Zaggmate Keyboard by Logitech for 6 months and love it. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Case-iPad-2/dp/B00512W4Y2/ref=pd_cp_e_4
It's great because it's aluminum so it protects the iPad very well (I've even dropped it a few times) but it's detached which means it can tip over when you are using it and the iPad will fall out. All in all I don't mind that and it is very convenient, kind of like using a netbook. I find myself grabbing the iPad with keyboard much more often than a laptop in the house and to even type to here or on my blog.

Now that I've had it for a while, I would recommend the updated version of the Zaggmate case because it is attached which protects the iPad very well (solves the tip-over problem) and you can detach the keyboard if you like.
http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-ZAGGfoli...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325737019&sr=1-1

I would also consider the Targus case with keyboard for all the same reasons, plus it can be rotated between portrait and landscape: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyboard-Case-iPad-2/dp/B00512W4Y2/ref=pd_cp_e_4

Hope that helps.
I messed that last link up here is the one for the Targus case: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Versav...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325943013&sr=1-1

A friend of mine has one and showed it to me yesterday. Without a doubt that is what I would get now if I didn't already have one.

Back