All-Star Is Allstar Cheerleading A Sport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It teaches all the same values any other sport could. It takes strength, confidence, and determination. Competitions are held for it, so don't be confused by its name allstar cheer is given a stereotypical name therefore people think its not :)

I think you may be hard-pressed to find unbiased information regarding Allstar Cheer, and even more hard-pressed for it to be from a legitimate publication that you can actually source for a document, if need be. The vast majority of articles are biased one way or another. If they are more of the informative type that is using actual data and not just opinion (or expose format), they typically lump Allstar Cheer in with sideline, rec, HS & college without regard to the fact that Allstar is not like the other four variations.

I know there have been numerous discussions/articles about it and I am trying to write an essay regarding allstar cheerleading being a sport or not. I can not for the life of me find any news articles or discussions on this board about it. Can I get some help?

YES!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I know there have been numerous discussions/articles about it and I am trying to write an essay regarding allstar cheerleading being a sport or not. I can not for the life of me find any news articles or discussions on this board about it. Can I get some help?
I would contact USASF or ASCheerMan and see if you can get a statement from to include in your paper. Goodluck! Oh also, since there is a governing body for the sport I see it as just that.

Cheerleaders prep for hours in search of 2½ minutes of perfection - CNN

This one looks like it's all about all star (and CEA!), but has some comments from Jim Chadwick which would be a good source. I didn't read it, just kind of skimmed so I don't know what it says exactly or if it will even help you that much!
Just use what you can find, even if it is "lumped" together and then your own opinions. It's all in the family and you can make work, it should be fine for an essay! Another suggestion would to find an article on the changes to the rules and how it's bringing changes to the image and even holding back some of the athletes.

Perhaps you want to look at how they are taking components of All-Star like STUNT and it is being considered now for emerging sports status with the NCAA. I know there are several articles including on Fierceboard. It would certainly be a new and relevant take on how cheerleading is trying to work within the parameters to be declared a sport. That would be an essay I'd be interested in reading.
Could look at what is STUNT how it came about from All-STAR, how it is being considered certainly would be a fresh perspective.

For your paper, I would reference popular definitions of sport and align all star cheer with each component of the definition's you find. The most general and widely accepted resource is wikipedia. Here is wikipedia's definition of Sport.

Also, check out the Sport Accord's definition. The SportAccord is the umbrella organization for all (Olympic and non-Olympic) international sports federations as well as organisers of multi-sports games and sport-related international associations. We are working with them to try and get cheer officially recognized as a sport.

If you want quotes and testimonials from high profile coaches, read Justin' Blog and watch Varsity's Join The Conversation video:

The only time we hesitate to make the statement 'Cheer Is A Sport' isn't because of the word 'sport,' it's because of the word 'cheer.' Everyone I work with knows all star cheer is a slam dunk sport, but with so many disciplines of cheer in existence, we have to be careful and stay true to the definition of the role of cheerleaders.
Email me if I can assist you any further: [email protected]

Back