Is It Even Possible To Cheer With Fake Nails?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 24, 2011
its seems pretty tricky, but there are alot of girls on my team who seem to have no problems wearing them & cheering. what do you think?

some people are good at it...but i definitely wouldn't recommend it last year a girl had to literally rip her entire real and fake nail off because it bent back it was the worst pain shes ever felt she has not worn fake nails since plus with stunting you can really hurt someone. :]

Funny this should come up because just on Tuesday CP came home from practice and had deep gouges on her arms from her stunt group from a girl who has fake nails and she says that they really hurt bad!! I encouraged her to show them to her coaches so that they would possibly ban these nails, but she doesn't want to get her group in trouble. She needs to either speak up for herself or suffer with these painful scratches-it's her choice!!
IMO I think that they should not be worn during cheerleading season and/or competition season, for fear of injuring herself or someone else!!

I find it really odd that it can actually be allowed to have fake nails while Cheerleading. However, i cheer in Sweden, and at every competition you need to make sure that all the girls have very short even nails.

I think if you were to accidentally catch it on something and pull it back the wrong way it would hurt really bad. My owner wears them and I don't know how she does it. I mean, they're short, its like the gel kind but I'd still be nervous

I wore them in high school and my thumbnail got bent backwards during a stunt. So I had a black thumbnail and my dad had to poke a hole through it to get the blood out and relieve the pressure. It was horrible!! Took em off after that and never got em again!

its seems pretty tricky, but there are alot of girls on my team who seem to have no problems wearing them & cheering. what do you think?

All of my coaches have had a rule with no long nails. That's just one of the many rules listed in the handbook we had to sign for cheerleading. Also, I'm happy with that rule because then I don't have to worry about another girl's nails digging into me. I'm a flyer.

fake nails or acrylics? truthfully, i think real nails that aren't cut super short are sharper than acrylics, since they're thicker and kinda rounded. and, although i've never had them for competitions, i have had them for practice. I just make sure that when i get them done, they are short enough. i just put my hand on the table and kinda scrunch my fingers like i would into the floor when i tumble.

Back