All-Star Is It The Judges Fault That There Is No Change At The Top

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Out of curiosity does anyone have a psychology degree? I have a minor and remember some of the stuff of memory bias with recency and what not.

My personal preference is that every judge approaches every single performance as an individual event. That team should be able to get the same score whether they compete alone or in a row of 300 teams at the beginning or the end. If the same score cannot be achieved each time a team performs (meaning they do the EXACT same performance) then it must be looked at what is changing each time and how to make that more consistent.

Degree in psych, + most of the credits for one in math - but that was a long time ago. (This is all a semi-educated guess, as the EPs don't release enough information to get a real handle on things.)

There are several types of memory biases that could come into play, but I would guess that they are a very small portion of the error/variance in scoring. (It would also be noted that memory of previous routines would not always make a score go up.)

The errors that most concern me are:
1. The (mostly) random error caused by which part of the floor a judge happens to be watching.
2. Judges adjusting their range based on personal preference of styles.
3. The idea that more consistent scoring (scores being closer together) somehow demonstrates accuracy.
4. The idea that throwing out the high and low score adds to accuracy.
5. Judges not using the entire range given - which effectively throws off the weighting system.
6. (The biggest one) Simple arithmetic / data entry errors.

I say no however asking the judges would probably give you better answers.

I think for the most part, this weekends placements were accurate based on the performances given. Also a lot of "small names" were in the top 10, even in the top 5 in some divisions. These are the people who are clearly working to master the scoresheet.

Furthermore i will add, you mentioned that because south elite hit, they should have won. Would this be true for all divisions? If so, a lot of teams should have won worlds.

small senior was not right placement. i can say that...there is no way that a team throwing 4 1 to whip dub standing and several specialty passes for running would get so low of a score for tumbling. cali had better tumbling this year then they did last year and they got scored lower this year.

small senior was not right placement. i can say that...there is no way that a team throwing 4 1 to whip dub standing and several specialty passes for running would get so low of a score for tumbling. cali had better tumbling this year then they did last year and they got scored lower this year.

You cannot compare last year to this year, as that is totally unfair. Different judges, and that was a year ago...
You can compare the two teams, but you must also take into consideration technique and not simply what was thrown. Orange has amazing technique, and as someone that LOVES California and has many friends there, it pains me to point out that they had a few incomplete doubles that probably had an impact on their tumbling score.

You cannot compare last year to this year, as that is totally unfair. Different judges, and that was a year ago...
You can compare the two teams, but you must also take into consideration technique and not simply what was thrown. Orange has amazing technique, and as someone that LOVES California and has many friends there, it pains me to point out that they had a few incomplete doubles that probably had an impact on their tumbling score.

yes i agree but it cant be that big of a difference! i do as well know people from cali i try not to be biased but i mean i still dont believe it could have been that much of a difference.

yes i agree but it cant be that big of a difference! i do as well know people from cali i try not to be biased but i mean i still dont believe it could have been that much of a difference.
is there a breakdown of cali's tumbling score?

That why i do not think technique should be thrown in with difficulty.I know we are all looking at the over all score but someone mentioned earlier that someone with better technique can score higher in difficulty which is wrong! its the same skill you should get the same score. Have an execution part where you can kill them on execution but as long as your basing difficulty on execution too than there is always room for the most difficult skills to not get scored as they should because the judges preference in style.

I'm also confused at the deductions. Why are some falls, and some are bobbles? Why are some called and some not? That definitely changed some results as well.
i agree with this ..perfect example was senior elite...great performance but in all honesty they had two bobbles that werent called ??

champion cheer 86.47, Orlando allstars 84.67, and SSX 84.67 all got higher scores than cali... Now watch all these teams and compare them to calis tumbling. just my opinion.

You are correct that 1-2 stunt groups are part of the team, but you are being judged on what the majority of the team is doing. When groups bobble or fall, then deductions take that into account. Otherwise you are being judged on what the remaining groups are doing.

But if one team can only hit with a clean "majority" and the other can hit the entirety, the team with the entire execution should be rewarded. In gymnastics, or acro/tumble, or diving, or any other judged sport, you will NEVER see a winner that eats poop. Those who win are those who hit, plain and simple. Majority or not, if you can't be clean OVERALL, you don't deserve the gold, especially when there are many others in the division that hit the same, if not more difficult, skills just as clean, if not cleaner.

cali got 84.43
orange got 88.70

As I posted before, while Cali had the difficult passes Orange threw cleaner executed skills. Orange outscored them in tumbling because their tumbling was executed better. It was known going into worlds that cleaner skills were going to be awarded better. Small Senior placements were pretty accurate. Trust me I was pulling for Cali to win the division, but the scores make sense.

Back