All-Star Is It Worth It?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 10, 2016
Hi all,
I'm loooking for advice. I tried to search this but didn't see much on this topic. This season I got placed as a fourth, but the problem is that my stunt group doesn't really need a fourth. I feel like I just get in the way, especially since all their stunts hit without my help. I pretty much nugget the whole time besides dance and jumps since I can't tumble and I'm honestly second guessing cheering. I don't want to quit on my team this far in the season but I feel like I don't contribute at all and it's really disheartening. Has anyone else had a season like this?

I've been in a similar situation. I joined a team a week or so into the season, so stunt groups were set already, and I mostly front spotted. I joked that I didn't smile in the routine except for jumps and dance cos I never faced the front. ;)

You have to decide if it's worth it for you. If you hate cheer and are miserable, it's probably better or your team if you aren't there. If you love cheer, you need to accept that you do have a role, even if it's not quite what you wanted this year. How you handle this situation will tell your coaches something about how you will handle being on the team in future years. Talk to your coach, and find out their side too. Also, you may be needed to jump in if there is an injury, someone else leaves, etc. You already know the routine, so if you decide to stay, use this as an opportunity to show your coaches that you are flexible and willing to fill in if needed. I used that 'easy' year of stunting to work my tumbling more, especially during times I wasn't as needed in the routine. But it's something you need to figure out for yourself. Do you want to cheer in the future? The season is really only 3-4 more months, depending on your competition schedule. Can you wait out a few months to show your coaches you want to be there?

It really depends on your team dynamic. I was a front spot on a team as I joined really late into the season and loved it and felt like I was doing a good job. I was a base and back on another team a year later at another gym and hated it mainly due to team dynamic and that made me give up cheer and switch to ballroom dance.

Or just "accidently" trip while getting to your stunt. This well cause your bases to shake and they might lose there grip on the flyer causing the flyer to fall. Even though thats a negative thought, atleast you did something in the stunt.:confused::confused::confused:

It depends. If you simply enjoy being at cheer in the gym with your friends, then keep doing it! You could also ask if you could work tumbling or jumps while it's stunting time if they don't need a frontspot. However if cheer is a long time away or really expensive, then I would reconsider. Also if you're not enjoying it, then don't do it! Do what you think you will enjoy the most.

Or just "accidently" trip while getting to your stunt. This well cause your bases to shake and they might lose there grip on the flyer causing the flyer to fall. Even though thats a negative thought, atleast you did something in the stunt.:confused::confused::confused:
latest

It depends. If you simply enjoy being at cheer in the gym with your friends, then keep doing it! You could also ask if you could work tumbling or jumps while it's stunting time if they don't need a frontspot. However if cheer is a long time away or really expensive, then I would reconsider. Also if you're not enjoying it, then don't do it! Do what you think you will enjoy the most.
I completely agree. Have you spoken to your parents about this? Have you talked about your feelings with the coaches? Maybe ask them what you need to do to improve?

My daughter had a season like that, but we took it as a learning year. She spent extra time tumbling, and did have a few opportunities to fill in for others when they were hurt or struggling. My personal approach is that at this point you are fully committed to the season. I am sure there is a certain amount of purchases made in terms of uniform and gear, and fees paid such as competition fees or hotel/flights, etc, and perhaps they are hoping you step up in the near future. I would absolutely have a conversation and evaluate at the end of the season whether in the end all the money, time and energy resulted in your feeling successful and whether or not this is how you want to spend your time going forward. Good luck!

I've had a season like that before, but like others I used that as my learning season. There were times when I came home crying hysterically. I wanted to give up but instead I've worked past all the negatives and turned them into positives, I'm glad I did. The next season, my coaches put me in stunt groups that needed a little "more" help and with less experienced flyers because the past season they saw how hard I was working to become a better backspot. Every year after that season, they trusted me with the same job and eventually I've became one of the strongest in the gym. I aged out and last season the Gym owner gave me a coaching opportunity and the team I co-coached last season won NCA. Hard work really gets you somewhere.. "Just keep on swimming". Do what you feel is in your own heart though. The person that really knows what to do is you!!

If YOU feel like you're not contributing, I'd quit and work on tumbling with all your time, then you'd be a huge asset next season. It's A LOT of money and time to not LOVE it and feel like your contributing. Tell them to keep you in mind If they need a fill in if someone gets injured.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I'm basically committed for this season due to already paid for my uniform and if I quit mid season I wouldn't be allowed to tryout again for at least a year.
I haven't talked to my coaches about it yet because I hate confrontation hahaha but I plan to. My parents don't necessarily support me, since they think it's a waste of time and money but I'm the one paying for it which also makes it conflicting considering how expensive it is.
I'm also on an open team, so I'm kind of worried there might not even be an open team for me next year since everyone is getting to advance their skills in hopes of going open 6 instead of 4 but I'm not.
I guess I'll see how the talk goes with my coaches but I'm honestly worried they'll tell me that there really isn't anything else I can do. Which will suck because I literally just stand there if I'm not doing the jumps or dance.
Seriously thank you everyone, I basically just needed to talk this out and hear other people's thoughts :)

One of my last seasons of cheer was like this. I suffered an injury that had me out for a few months. I basically fell out of favor with my coaches and I had to nugget when I was used to being very active in routines. My best advice to you is to not give up or feel down, work hard to become an asset to your team. Focus on perfecting and advancing your skills for next season.

One of my last seasons of cheer was like this. I suffered an injury that had me out for a few months. I basically fell out of favor with my coaches and I had to nugget when I was used to being very active in routines. My best advice to you is to not give up or feel down, work hard to become an asset to your team. Focus on perfecting and advancing your skills for next season.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting things... but that doesn't seem like a fair reaction on the part of your coaches. You need to heal if injured, and if that means watering down your parts in the routine, then so be it. Your health and safety are paramount.

Follow your dreams. If you love it and Cheer makes you happy keep it up! My CP was a nugget for 5 months during practice, I told CP to train extra hard regardless of her position, and the coaches would notice. Now CP has a star role because CP surpassed some athletes who thought they had a secure spot so they stopped training!

I was a base last year on IOC6 then became a front because of an injury. I fronted or even was just a "spot" for all of the routine and this year I tried out thinking I wasnt going to make the team and now I'm a 'top' flyer and one of the main flyers on the team. The coaches even nominated me for captain!

Another girl on my team was purely a front and was terrified of everything. The next year (my first) she was main base in centre group. This year shes even a mid flyer.

You have to train hard if you want a 'good' spot. In the summer I sat with my coaches and said " I understand I'm fronting because this is whats best for the team, but what can I do to better myself for my team" they gave me workouts and I did them daily. My arms got jacked and even though I fly, if someone is not here I step in an base all of the time. It's great to be versatile, coaches, and you, will love it!

Back