All-Star Is Lighting What Makes Nca Events So Intimidating And Grand?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
One of the things that people talk about with NCA is how intimidating it is to go compete there. While teams in Texas are great, I do believe teams in and around the south are very strong and competitive. So if the teams are equally as good in the south as they are in Texas, what is so intimidating about NCA? I think the lighting they do is HUGE.

At the one day classic today the whole setup was spectacularly lit. Not only is it mostly blacked out, but the stage has a very omnipotent feel. Other competitions have tried to go as dark, but it is like the skip out on the quality and placement of the lights (I think NCA uses a Xenon or Krypton light?).
Thoughts?

Not sure about Dallas because I have not been yet but the lighting today was great!

Agreed. It isn't the light show going on behind the action (which quite a few EP's are starting to do) but the atmosphere lighting. It seems like NCA is doing two things in combo others are not. Get it very dark, use a high quality white light to light up the stage. Those things I think are what give this just massive feel.

Agreed. It isn't the light show going on behind the action (which quite a few EP's are starting to do) but the atmosphere lighting. It seems like NCA is doing two things in combo others are not. Get it very dark, use a high quality white light to light up the stage. Those things I think are what give this just massive feel.

The atmosphere is great at NCA and the production of the competition is second to none. However I also think it's the caliber of teams that attend NCA. You will always see the strongest and most creative routines here as well as the top gyms across the US that come for a show down. This is why NCA All Star nationals has been and will always be considered the Super Bowl of cheerleading. From the production down to the teams in attendance NCA is about quality where as other competitions are known for quantity.

In addition to the lighting, I feel that the NCA atmosphere is much more serious than other competitions. No giant blow up creatures everywhere, teddy bears being thrown out or dance contests every 5 seconds. They get down to business for the most part, and kids pick up on that vibe I think.

In addition to the lighting, I feel that the NCA atmosphere is much more serious than other competitions. No giant blow up creatures everywhere, teddy bears being thrown out or dance contests every 5 seconds. They get down to business for the most part, and kids pick up on that vibe I think.

This is so true! Very well put. I also love the highlights on Varsity TV with Justin Carrier and other commentators highlight the best of the best at NCA. It really makes our sport local professional and you can see the wide range of talent & creativity that goes into the routines.

Yeah I could definitely do without Jammy.

But what I am talking about is what you walk into an NCA comp (which I did today) it feels very omnipotent. There was some talent there, but it is NOT any more than we have seen all season (so the talent there isn't the reason). The scoresheet is the best, hands down, but the scoresheet does not change how you feel when you walk in. I think the fact that even though this was a local small one day competition NCA spent their time making sure they got a location they could make very dark and spent time on getting the right lights and position.

Think of it this way. If they turned on all the lights to all the NCA arenas in Dallas and everyone was just competing in normal light, would it still feel that intimidating? I think not.

It is that touch which sets off the mood and the intimidation of NCA. WORLDS isn't even as intimidating as NCA and that competition, in theory, has the most talent out of anyone.

I agree with your observation. NCA does a great job in creating a professional feeling at their competitions. My biggest pet peeve is BAD lighting and BAD sound systems. It screams CHEAP and I am annoyed to no end. Great lighting and sound are truly an art. You have to pay professionals to get it right and NCA clearly does that.

the lighting definitely has something to do with it - because it is so dark, you really can't see anything at all off of the stage!
it makes you know that you/your team is the only thing anybody is thinking about and watching.
i think also because, like cheerforeverever said, they have been known to be THE cheerleading company, the worlds before worlds company.
even if its not the NCA nationals in Dallas, its NCA and its the company that matters.

Aha. I can totally compare this to my old job at Hollister. What they do in Hollister (when the clothes are all folded up neatly and whatnot) is they turn off ALL the lights. Once the lights are off, you ONLY turn on the ones that point on the clothes so that the emphasis on the clothing. When you have complete darkness and high-quality lights pointing at something, ti grabs your attention (in this case, it's the audience at NCA). However, my friends used to tell me at the same time, it was very intimidating to be in there.

But it all depends on the person.

Yeah I could definitely do without Jammy.

But what I am talking about is what you walk into an NCA comp (which I did today) it feels very omnipotent. There was some talent there, but it is NOT any more than we have seen all season (so the talent there isn't the reason). The scoresheet is the best, hands down, but the scoresheet does not change how you feel when you walk in. I think the fact that even though this was a local small one day competition NCA spent their time making sure they got a location they could make very dark and spent time on getting the right lights and position.

Think of it this way. If they turned on all the lights to all the NCA arenas in Dallas and everyone was just competing in normal light, would it still feel that intimidating? I think not.

It is that touch which sets off the mood and the intimidation of NCA. WORLDS isn't even as intimidating as NCA and that competition, in theory, has the most talent out of anyone.

Omnipotent?

So instead of all the discussion about scoresheet changes, we should have just levied a $1 lighting surcharge on everyone?

Aha. I can totally compare this to my old job at Hollister. What they do in Hollister (when the clothes are all folded up neatly and whatnot) is they turn off ALL the lights. Once the lights are off, you ONLY turn on the ones that point on the clothes so that the emphasis on the clothing. When you have complete darkness and high-quality lights pointing at something, ti grabs your attention (in this case, it's the audience at NCA). However, my friends used to tell me at the same time, it was very intimidating to be in there.

But it all depends on the person.

That makes complete sense (and explains a good bit). And this isn't to see all of NCA's luster is in the lighting. But lighting definitely sets a mood (think of a haunted house where all the lights are turned on.. not as scary huh?).

Has any other competition tried this? Not JUST turning off the lights, but actually using high quality lighting. I would say the second part is the thing I have not seen done that often.

One of the things that people talk about with NCA is how intimidating it is to go compete there. While teams in Texas are great, I do believe teams in and around the south are very strong and competitive. So if the teams are equally as good in the south as they are in Texas, what is so intimidating about NCA? I think the lighting they do is HUGE.

At the one day classic today the whole setup was spectacularly lit. Not only is it mostly blacked out, but the stage has a very omnipotent feel. Other competitions have tried to go as dark, but it is like the skip out on the quality and placement of the lights (I think NCA uses a Xenon or Krypton light?).

Thoughts?
I don't think it's the direction or the type of lights, I think it's the meaning of the event. It's kind of like the super bowl, it's still football, but, it's for all the marbles. Sure the halftime show is a little better, but, if they played the super bowl on a random Tuesday at noon it would still be serious business. NCA is serious business and all of the competitors, coaches, and spectators know it.

Omnipotent?

So instead of all the discussion about scoresheet changes, we should have just levied a $1 lighting surcharge on everyone?

People always say NCA is intimidating. As much as I always thought it was the scoresheet, I can tell you as smart as most Stingrays are the point value of the very hard jump sequence is no where on their mind.

And the same basic scoresheet now is at all Varsity events... but that doesnt seem to be making UCA or Athletic more intimidating.

I don't think it's the direction or the type of lights, I think it's the meaning of the event. It's kind of like the super bowl, it's still football, but, it's for all the marbles. Sure the halftime show is a little better, but, if they played the super bowl on a random Tuesday at noon it would still be serious business. NCA is serious business and all of the competitors, coaches, and spectators know it.

Then why do people still consider NCA more intimidating and harder to win than Worlds (in some cases). When those people have freaked out on stage who have then gone on and won Worlds... was it the scoresheet or the importance of the event that got to them?

Latest posts

Back