All-Star Is Lighting What Makes Nca Events So Intimidating And Grand?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Then why do people still consider NCA more intimidating and harder to win than Worlds (in some cases). When those people have freaked out on stage who have then gone on and won Worlds... was it the scoresheet or the importance of the event that got to them?

NCA has all divisions. Several years ago before everyone and their cousin got a bid to worlds I think worlds was on par with NCA intimidation wise. The production value at worlds has never been there, and as long as it's at Mickey world it probably won't get there.

NCA has all divisions. Several years ago before everyone and their cousin got a bid to worlds I think worlds was on par with NCA intimidation wise. The production value at worlds has never been there, and as long as it's at Mickey world it probably won't get there.

The production value of Worlds is the exact thing we are discussing. I am picking out a major piece of setting the mood (the lighting) but I think in a way you just agreed with me. This is in no way diminishing the value of an NCA championship, I am just analyzing it and what makes so important.

You could say the teams, but that is saying Texas teams are what make it hard to win. I believe teams in the south (which is about the size of texas and includes GA, SC, NC, Bama, and Tenn... maybe Florida but that place is weird) are on par with the level of teams in Texas.

You could say the scoresheet, but the Varsity scoresheet is now at all their major event.s

So what is it that makes it so intimidating? Production value. Of which a big piece is lighting and that is what sparked this convo.

The production value of Worlds is the exact thing we are discussing. I am picking out a major piece of setting the mood (the lighting) but I think in a way you just agreed with me. This is in no way diminishing the value of an NCA championship, I am just analyzing it and what makes so important.

Don't get me wrong, the lighting is important, but, it's not the only thing. The backdrop is huge, the arena is second to none in watching a cheer competition.

Think of the ARENA compared to the A-Hall at the DCC. They both have lights, but, not near the same intensity.

Don't get me wrong, the lighting is important, but, it's not the only thing. The backdrop is huge, the arena is second to none in watching a cheer competition.

Think of the ARENA compared to the A-Hall at the DCC. They both have lights, but, not near the same intensity.

I agree. People wouldn't clammer to get the chance to compete in the Arena (or curse when they have to compete in Joston's at Worlds) if location didnt matter.

So is the more important question (of which I just posed a piece) is the production of an NCA event what makes it so intimidating? They have found the right combo of details (be it lighting, backdrop, and other tid bits) that create a very intense feeling? Athletic in Chattanooga was taking notes at NCA events because in the past two years has done a lot of similar things (while still feeling like an Athletic event) and it has definitely gone up in quality.

I love the lightning at NCA...I think it makes every team look so important soon as they hit that dance and the fire/sparks come from the display and the lights flash....its makes the routnine instantly 10 times more exciting!

I do agree that the lighting/staging at NCA is impressive - certainly the best among all cheer events. However, I certainly do not think that that is more than small part of what makes NCA special. It is a combination of the tradition, the level of competition, and the idea that most programs set their entire season around peaking at that event that make it the top nationals. (Up until 2 years ago, the scoring system set it apart from other events as well.)

Lighting is cool, but it does not make the event. Worlds, for example, is prestigious because of the level of teams that go there. The venue, staging, warmup room, and seating are far and away the least impressive of any competition we go to every year. However, that is an event that most level 5 athletes would rather win than any other.

But the level of intimidation still seems a bit higher for lots of level 5 teams at NCA.

You know, 20 years from now (most likely sooner, but at least 20) we will have a universl scoresheet. Legalities will be enforced by a USASF crew the same at every comp. We will have a universal warmup, out of bounds rules, and a set way all people are funnelled trough. What happens on the mat will be judged and ruled the same everywhere. The only way comp companies will seperate themselves is by production value, and NCA will still be on top because of their attention to detail.

Most of the stuff NCA does should be industry standard anyway (not production value, but the actual cheerleading part).

I do agree that the lighting/staging at NCA is impressive - certainly the best among all cheer events. However, I certainly do not think that that is more than small part of what makes NCA special. It is a combination of the tradition, the level of competition, and the idea that most programs set their entire season around peaking at that event that make it the top nationals. (Up until 2 years ago, the scoring system set it apart from other events as well.)

Lighting is cool, but it does not make the event. Worlds, for example, is prestigious because of the level of teams that go there. The venue, staging, warmup room, and seating are far and away the least impressive of any competition we go to every year. However, that is an event that most level 5 athletes would rather win than any other.
I will say I have ranked a worlds team level 5 win at NCA to be equal to a Worlds win. When I coached Smoke and they ended SOT's streak I valued that over a Worlds win. This thread is in no way diminishing how good I think a job NCA does. But I think a large part of the intimidation factor comes from when you walk in how well and darkly lit it all is. Turn up the lights and its still a great event to win, it just wouldn't be as intimidating just being there.

coming from a small gym that hasn't been to either, I would definitely say that the back drop, lighting and arena make a huge difference in the feel of a competition.

comparing 2 comps the small local comps we've been to this year:
Competition A had about 30 to 40 teams, but was held in a temporary facility (think tent mixed with metal building with a little bit of mobile home) with just a basic banner behind the floor and no lighting other than the normal lights.

Competition B had about 20 teams, but had a black floor, nice multi layered back drop, Nice stage lighting and was held in a good arena

Competition B felt much bigger despite being half the size of A

Waiting for day 2 at NCA to start. Loved the trophy on the stage...waiting.

Ok, now THAT is an intimidating setup! Does anyone have a picture with the lights on? And one of Worlds to compare?

I always remember that when NCA is over they turn on all the lights to help people leave. Suddenly this big ominous room is just... a room. It is like all the magic dies in the flip of the switch. They should probably leave the lights off until we all leave to keep it going (of course I am sure there are lots of people who wouldn't leave then).

Everything else being the same (teams, tradition, stuff...) if the entire event was held in different well lit high school gyms would it have the same intimidating impact?

BTW, I would say while NCA has the best scoresheet, is the most intimidating, best tradition, it is not the hardest competition to win. CheerSport is now the hardest to win. And the biggest, by about 300 teams.

I do think that it would be a bit less intimidating if the production value were lower, but I feel that you are selling NCA short to suggest that the lights are a major component of it's mystique.

Again, I point you to Worlds with it's woefully inadequate venue and relatively minimal production values. It manages to qualify as a major event without all the bells and whistles.

In fairness to USASF, there isn't much that can be done to spruce up the VFKA Milk House or Josten's short of tearing them down and building something new. (or moving it somewhere else) Also, the awards/trophies are the best of any event.

this picture alone makes me emotional and i haven't competed on that stage in years. NOTHING in the sport compares to performing in that arena, it is the superbowl of cheerleading.

also, NCA is all business. from practices in the ballrooms to the atmosphere in the warm ups. it's a showdown from the moment you arrive in dallas.

Latest posts

Back