All-Star Is Lighting What Makes Nca Events So Intimidating And Grand?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I do think that it would be a bit less intimidating if the production value were lower, but I feel that you are selling NCA short to suggest that the lights are a major component of it's mystique.

Again, I point you to Worlds with it's woefully inadequate venue and relatively minimal production values. It manages to qualify as a major event without all the bells and whistles.

In fairness to USASF, there isn't much that can be done to spruce up the VFKA Milk House or Josten's short of tearing them down and building something new. (or moving it somewhere else) Also, the awards/trophies are the best of any event.

Remember, not what makes the event special to win, but what INTIMIDATES people about it.

Might be a difference in opinion but I don't think I am selling them short. Quantifying what makes something better can take the mystery (and therefor awe) out of it. And the one specific piece I am focussing on is the intimidation factor. Kids (and gyms) who have never been to Dallas walk in and have an absolute deer in the headlights look on their face when walking around around. The production is so massive, and dark, and those lights and stage are absolutely terrifying! Just looking at that picture I know that feeling I get when I am at Dallas. I don't get it at Worlds (even those Worlds is technically bigger to win). So where is that emotional response coming from? The mood. The ambiance.

Couple that the low crossovers, strict following of the rules, difficult scoresheets.

But, like I said, i still consider this the top dawg competition to win. It has always been the conglomeration of everything they do. I am just choosing the largest emotional piece.

Athletic did their homework and has started doing an ambiance similar to NCA. It has helped totally turn around their event in Chattanooga for us from one of our least favorites to being a joy to go to. The teams there havent really changed. The scoresheet last year was the Varsity, but it didn't feel as different as it did this year. But this year it was WAY better.

I would love to do an experiment, so if NCA and another company could help me out. If NCA could completely compete with all the lights on I am curious if the intimidation factor would stay. And then if they could do it for 3 years in a row would people hold NCA in less esteem?

THEN if another EP would try the same lighting techniques that NCA uses (I actually think this one could happen). If another EP spent time to black out almost ALL ambient light at a competition and then well light the competitors would the intimidation factor jump?

That makes complete sense (and explains a good bit). And this isn't to see all of NCA's luster is in the lighting. But lighting definitely sets a mood (think of a haunted house where all the lights are turned on.. not as scary huh?).

Has any other competition tried this? Not JUST turning off the lights, but actually using high quality lighting. I would say the second part is the thing I have not seen done that often.

I think Athletic Championship does this to a degree. Using the live DJ on stage, the light show.. no other BS.. Making the announcement of the teams coming on the floor a big deal.. Drawing attention to the stage from the walk on.

Our teams don't go to NCA, but of what I've seen of it it's unlike any other major competition in terms of its presentation. The closest comparison I can make it is to high school football or basketball teams playing in a professional sports arena. Even when the arena isn't full, playing in that environment is a lot different than playing a high school or even a lower-level college gym.

You could say the teams, but that is saying Texas teams are what make it hard to win. I believe teams in the south (which is about the size of texas and includes GA, SC, NC, Bama, and Tenn... maybe Florida but that place is weird) are on par with the level of teams in Texas.

You could say the scoresheet, but the Varsity scoresheet is now at all their major event.s

So what is it that makes it so intimidating? Production value. Of which a big piece is lighting and that is what sparked this convo.
Kingston, question for you and a bit off topic, but you mention that the teams in the south are on par with the level of teams in Texas, do you not feel that way regarding the teams in the North or is it because you are from the South that you can actually see the comparison? My cp and I have never attended NCA but we do hear how intimidating it is to compete there and wondered why as well, but would love the chance to see it for ourselves. But, if you feel as though teams in the North don't have that competitive edge for NCA - why - just curious as to your insight on that.

I do think that it would be a bit less intimidating if the production value were lower, but I feel that you are selling NCA short to suggest that the lights are a major component of it's mystique.

Again, I point you to Worlds with it's woefully inadequate venue and relatively minimal production values. It manages to qualify as a major event without all the bells and whistles.

In fairness to USASF, there isn't much that can be done to spruce up the VFKA Milk House or Josten's short of tearing them down and building something new. (or moving it somewhere else) Also, the awards/trophies are the best of any event.

I will say it another way. If it was just NCA Dallas that had that feeling and was unrepeatable I would agree I am putting too much importance on lights. But the one day classic that was in Atlanta had the same intimidation factor. Obviously not as intense, but, the feeling is repeatable. That is what got me started thinking about all this.

Kingston, question for you and a bit off topic, but you mention that the teams in the south are on par with the level of teams in Texas, do you not feel that way regarding the teams in the North or is it because you are from the South that you can actually see the comparison? My cp and I have never attended NCA but we do hear how intimidating it is to compete there and wondered why as well, but would love the chance to see it for ourselves. But, if you feel as though teams in the North don't have that competitive edge for NCA - why - just curious as to your insight on that.

There are a bunch of high quality teams in the north, there are just MORE in the south. Texas just used to have absolutely the most teams out of anyone. I think the city of Dallas had like 40 gyms in a certain area. That type of competition being so close breads great teams and that is one reason Texas became so good. As cheer has matured a similar environment has been created around Atlanta spreading to the south.

I see where you are going with that, but I think that the prestige is a huge part of the intimidation involved. I think if a "lesser" event managed to match the production of NCA, the typical response would be to think how fun and exciting it would be to perform in that environment. The prestige, IMO, is what turns that response into more of a fear at NCA. I think it just amplifies the underlying feeling.

I see where you are going with that, but I think that the prestige is a huge part of the intimidation involved. I think if a "lesser" event managed to match the production of NCA, the typical response would be to think how fun and exciting it would be to perform in that environment. The prestige, IMO, is what turns that response into more of a fear at NCA. I think it just amplifies the underlying feeling.

Oh it has taken years for it to get where it is. And NCA is no house of cards. It is not like you would take away one thing and it would stop being NCA. NCA is probably a lot like CA or Rays. It is not one thing that makes you who you are, but a conglomeration of our pieces. If you completely got rid of jumps Stingrays would still be Stingrays, but that piece would sorely be missed and helps make us who we are.

Really great lighting, kinda like you said, can make any competition better. And a great competition intimidating.

If CheerSport / Jamfest / UCA / Worlds did something to this affect with making it really dark and having very clear white light (some comps use that old school yellow and I dont think it is the same) I would be interested to hear the athletes responses.

the free chick-fil-a always made them stand apart from other competition companies
tongue.png

To anyone at NCA this year: does the A, B, C, and E halls seem different this year?

Latest posts

Back