All-Star Is School Cheerleading A Sport? I Know That All Star Definitly Is

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 20, 2010
my high school cheer team thinks that they are amazing and the best and all the kids either agree with them or think that cheerleading in general isnt a sport. well, i just think all star cheerleading is 59347859733308590730x harder. any opinions? just curious

If you are saying competitive school cheerleading is not a sport simply because it is school cheerleading and not all-star, then I respectfully disagree.

Is sideline cheerleading a sport? No. Is it athletic? Absolutely.

Also when you said all-star is so much harder, remember school's are cheering on a dead floor compared to a spring floor. I have done both, and think both are just as tough.

Whoa your signature is massive. I think it depends on which highschool cheerleading teams. There are the ones that could be legit level 5 all star (one legged double downs, and doing fulls and double fulls in tumbling) and theres (the many) highschools that can barely make it to a full extension on both legs and have no tumbling whatso-ever. So for some highschool i would call it a hobby for the some others i would call it a sport.

i still think that all star cheerleading is harder then even the side line cheerleading, and some competitions for all star your on non spring, its not usual but you do sometimes

I agree with WHOA tiger, pailum520, and garrett426. If a school cheerleading team competes, then they're a sport. If they stay strictly on the sidelines, they're not a sport.

For some weird reason, my old high school had three different-season teams: fall cheerleading (football), winter cheerleading (basketball & wrestling), and competition cheerleading. I remember my winter squad arguing with the competition squad over who was the real sport... I made sure to keep my mouth shut, because I knew that my teammates would hate me if I voiced my opinion on the issue. :p

Sideline/school cheerleading varies so much across the country that I don't think you can have a set in stone yes or no answer. It really depends on the area, I think...

my school team competes, but i would definitely not consider what my team does as a sport. it is rediculous how terrible my team is when a full half of my team are all star cheerleaders and my coach does not take advantage of that.

all stars is no doubt a sport.

Regardless of skill level, if a school team competes then I say it is a sport. I don't care how good/bad, organized/disorganized a sideline team is. If they ONLY cheer on the sideline, then it is absolutely a club. It is 100% athletic, difficult, and takes sweat and practice. But they don't compete, then how can you call that a sport?

The school teams that do compete, even if they are pathetic, are still participating in a sport because they are competing. Remember, in every sport there are divisions and teams that are just awful. I'm sure you've seen plenty of allstar teams that are terrible. However, they compete!

Would I EVER tell my school team this? Possibly. We don't compete. My team is very novice. However I am proud of what they have accomplished regardless of if what they are doing qualifies as a sport or not.

It
Sideline/school cheerleading varies so much across the country that I don't think you can have a set in stone yes or no answer. It really depends on the area, I think...

Not only the area, It gets down to the schools.
I cheer for my highschool and it is purely sideline, Only I and two or three others can tumble... and I mean simply backhandsprings. However, Our rival high school has quite a few fulls and pretty solid level 3/4 stunting skills. Another high school in the area also has these same assets. Its simply down to the school and who cheers there. It even changes year to year.

If you are saying competitive school cheerleading is not a sport simply because it is school cheerleading and not all-star, then I respectfully disagree.

Is sideline cheerleading a sport? No. Is it athletic? Absolutely.

Also when you said all-star is so much harder, remember school's are cheering on a dead floor compared to a spring floor. I have done both, and think both are just as tough.

One of the reasons that why All Stars were put onto Spring Floor was because of the longevity of the athletes, similar to gymnastics. When you have Minis going all the way up to Senior competing 7-9 times a year, for 5-7 years straight, it is alot on your body. The average high school cheerleader doesn't do that. They may start competing in high school, but it isn't as many times per season and many of them start their freshmen year. Now that is the AVERAGE high school, however there are many competitive high schools which are amazing, along with many colleges as well.

here in ga competitive high school cheer is a sport. i definitely say it is a sport. sideline is not a sport.

I've seen several GA high schools compete and been to a couple regionals. They are very good. Now is it required that each school compete or is it an option?

I've seen several GA high schools compete and been to a couple regionals. They are very good. Now is it required that each school compete or is it an option?

its not required. some schools dont have the money or people to have a team.

Back