All-Star Is School Cheerleading A Sport? I Know That All Star Definitly Is

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Depends. I've seen school teams that can do a lot of the same stuff as all star, but like my school can't hit an extension without wobbling and falling down nor do cartwheels. It embarasses me sometimes because other people know I cheer, but then I get back from a competition and they're like, "why didn't the other girls go?" "Ummm...I am not on that team. I compete and stuff." "Oh, so you're like good." :p

Depends. I've seen school teams that can do a lot of the same stuff as all star, but like my school can't hit an extension without wobbling and falling down nor do cartwheels. It embarasses me sometimes because other people know I cheer, but then I get back from a competition and they're like, "why didn't the other girls go?" "Ummm...I am not on that team. I compete and stuff." "Oh, so you're like good." :p

my school is the same way!

it depends on the school. if the school does the same stunts and tumbling as all stars then yes its a sport. my school hardly does anything. we do preps and thats about it....so there fore thats not much of a sport to me. i guess it just depends on the school.

Level 1 does preps and cartwheels, are we saying they're not a sport? Even though they compete?

My HS's squad tumbling was forward rolls. We had strong elevator full-downs. We competed. Where does that put us? Sport? I'd say so. We might not have had the strength across the board, but Senior 1 is a level and they did less than us.

Sideline high school cheer is not a sport. Its like an activity or club. If they do stunts then that differs. But high school competition is 100% a sport. I recently quit my all star program this year and i went to my high school. I find it exactly the same if not harder. High school is SO tight, and the competition, you against seem so much harder. My high school competes as a five. Pretty much same as senior open 5.

i mean i think with high school cheering you could argue both way depending on what school you go to b.c high school with state winnign teams should clearly get respected as a sport but if you are just cheering along side at games and can barely do a simple stunt then you can not fight that is it a sport .. i believe all star is different though and by far more difficult and alway a sport.. its almost like two different worlds of cheering in my opinion

One of the reasons that why All Stars were put onto Spring Floor was because of the longevity of the athletes, similar to gymnastics. When you have Minis going all the way up to Senior competing 7-9 times a year, for 5-7 years straight, it is alot on your body. The average high school cheerleader doesn't do that. They may start competing in high school, but it isn't as many times per season and many of them start their freshmen year. Now that is the AVERAGE high school, however there are many competitive high schools which are amazing, along with many colleges as well.

Different strokes for different folks. I absolutely agree with the longevity of the athletes. I competed a lot more with my high school than I did with both all star teams I've been on. I think high school is difficult just because it wears your body down so quickly with the dead mat, and all stars will most of the time be throwing a harder routine, however they are on a spring floor. Depending on the region of the country/world you are in, you can experience things completely different from someone in a different region or even state!

Regardless of skill level, if a school team competes then I say it is a sport. I don't care how good/bad, organized/disorganized a sideline team is. If they ONLY cheer on the sideline, then it is absolutely a club. It is 100% athletic, difficult, and takes sweat and practice. But they don't compete, then how can you call that a sport?

The school teams that do compete, even if they are pathetic, are still participating in a sport because they are competing. Remember, in every sport there are divisions and teams that are just awful. I'm sure you've seen plenty of allstar teams that are terrible. However, they compete!

Would I EVER tell my school team this? Possibly. We don't compete. My team is very novice. However I am proud of what they have accomplished regardless of if what they are doing qualifies as a sport or not.

perfectly said. If you compete, then i consider it a sport, no matter the skill level.

I believe high school competition is a sport. I come from the allstar world and continue to compete and coach in it therefore I know the dedication and skill it requires. I also coach a very successful school competition program (varsity, jv, and jr high comp squads) and I know that my school athletes work just as hard as any of my allstar athletes. Is sideline cheerleading alone a sport? Not in my opinion (I am still trying to convince the A.D. that girls that only cheer for football or basketball should not receive Varsity Letters). At many schools it is the same athletes cheering for the basketball/ football squads and on the competition squad. During this past week (mon-thurs bc of christmas eve. friday) my school competition athletes had two 3 hr comp. practices and a 2 hr tumbling class that were mandatory, the majority of these girls also had two 2 hr basketball cheer practices (which are less strenuous bc they spend time working on cheers and such, but still include running, jumping, tumbling, and conditioning in their practices), and about half also took a private lesson (a few even took 2!). All of this was happening while my allstar athletes are at home eating cookies and having sleepovers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit my allstars at all as they are on a much needed and deserved break, I'm just saying that the pendulum swings equally both ways.

If you compete i think high school cheerleading is a spot. I'll admit that when i did just allstar i was all for high school cheerleading not being a sport and thought it was a joke, but i quit allstar and did high school and now i see that they work very had (some more than others), and a lot of the girls on my school team work just as hard as allstar cheerleaders. It is hard to look at teams that do half smushs and think of them as a sport, but they are being athletic, and most of it is just like senior level 1. But if the team doesn't compete i don't think it is considered a sport

In South Carolina, highschool cheering IS definitely a sport. if you compete though.
which most do..

but sideline cheering is not

My HS girls are like a Small Sr.Level 4... They do both sideline and competitive. They work just as hard as AllStars (stunting, jumps, tumbling). Even though on the sideline they stunt and tumble (competition practice hehe) sideline is not a sport, but is athletic. I definitely wouldn't say that AllStar is harder... Especially since some of our girls cheer or cheered allstar, they can agree we work just as hard as them...

Back